WRFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting looking ladder atm.

5 teams with percentages of 80 odd, shows the closeness of it all.

I can’t remember Altona being dead last for a long time
With all the players that have left since the 2019 GF loss through to the 2022 premiership team Altona simply have a significantly weaker depth of list. There 18's were winning premierships and making finals through the end of the teans, now they are not close as the junior program is no where near as strong as it once was. The 2 Point Cooks compete for the Altona Meadows juniors.

Success and strength was built on home grown players, the current cycle will take a few years to see if they can get back a strong team unless they have substantial financial backers

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I noted 2 weeks ago they overused the ball and inevitably, the skill error came.

They tried switching the ball from flank to flank across half back, over complicating things.

Just got the feeling Varcoe thinks he's coaching a highly skilled AFL team.
I saw them in their first game and they impressed me, young, quick and moved the ball well. They haven’t won a game since

For those who care, Deer Park are going well ... bahaha

Second last with a 1-5 record in EDFL Premier and has the worst percentage in the comp.

Couldn't beat a egg at the moment.
Forfeited in the reserves yesterday.... all the money in the world and no one to take it......

I watched Altona yesterday for the 1st time in a long time and very young and in experienced and what I did notice was not a lot of movement in the forward half and don’t tend to push numbers to support the contest, got some very young and exciting prospects, but depth this year might be a real challenge for them as well, as the 2’s were well beaten this week by Hoppers.

They have plenty of upside, but they are young and it might take a lot of patience by the supporters.

Forfeited in the reserves yesterday.... all the money in the world and no one to take it......
Always was all icing and no cake. Won WRFL flags with a lot of money, but embarrassing themselves now.

Never, ever built a strong club with strong foundations.

Crashed back to earth.

Another round of close interesting games

CS by 13 over PC at PC
PCC by 14 over Spotty
YSE by 9 over Altona at Sugar Gum
Parkside by 11 over Hoppers

Might go and have a look at the two Point Cook games to see if my prediction of CS making the GF is on course.

Good game at PC, 2 evenly matched teams, was close all day. Major difference was the goal kicking where CS was 5.20 at one stage. Game wasn't won until late last quarter. Another good crowd at PC, the $1 Dim Sims a winner.

Impressed with PC, had more run and more cohesion than the times I'd seen them earlier in the season.

Had planned to watch a bit of the game up the road at PCC, but the PC game was too interesting to leave.

Good game at PC, 2 evenly matched teams, was close all day. Major difference was the goal kicking where CS was 5.20 at one stage. Game wasn't won until late last quarter. Another good crowd at PC, the $1 Dim Sims a winner.

Impressed with PC, had more run and more cohesion than the times I'd seen them earlier in the season.

Had planned to watch a bit of the game up the road at PCC, but the PC game was too interesting to leave.
A few additions to the side meant that PC was going to take a little while to gel. This may be the start of their run. Burton is a big loss but they should be able to adjust.

What’s happened down at pcc recruited heavily start of the year and have now dropped 3 games in a row. Better side on paper then last year

Checking the Div 1 ladder and the lowest percentage in the comp is at 80.8%. Unsure any other top level local league in Victoria would be that competitive. Great to see
This league gets talked down a lot but it's competiveness in D1 is outstanding.

Haven't watched a blow out all season. Both the last 2 D2 premiers have come up and been very competitive, if this season's D2 premier comes up and can compete we will have a very interesting 10 team comp next year. That's assuming no one leaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This league gets talked down a lot but it's competiveness in D1 is outstanding.

Haven't watched a blow out all season. Both the last 2 D2 premiers have come up and been very competitive, if this season's D2 premier comes up and can compete we will have a very interesting 10 team comp next year. That's assuming no one leaves.
You would assume that Sunshine and Albion (both current sides) if they were premiers would be more than competitive…..add a few recruits to that as well. Good 10 team comp! Will the remaining teams stay in only 1 grade or will they revert back to 3 divisions based on some of the beltings that have occurred this year?

What’s happened down at pcc recruited heavily start of the year and have now dropped 3 games in a row. Better side on paper then last year
Large number of injuries many of which are long termers, and Zac Banch playing for Werribee in the VFL. Luke Haddara had been playing for Richmond in the VFL too. Heard their coach on WYN FM on Saturday saying that as there is no relegation this year, they would use the rest of the season to get senior experience into under 18 men.

Hoppers Crossing big improvers also. Love seeing the Warriors do well! (Soft spot as a former club of mine)
Was at the Altona v PCC game yesterday. Was a scrappy game and skills not what I would have expected in DIV1. A lot of turnovers from perceived pressure. A couple of regulars missing from both sides. Look forward to seeing these two young sides over the next couple of years. Seems both clubs have a good base.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back