xMichaelx's First Phantom Draft. (1st Round only)

xMichaelx

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Man. City, OKC
Priority Pick:
1. Melbourne:
Tom Scully, Height: 182cm | Weight: 74kg | DOB: 15/05/91

No brainer here, the standout of the TAC Cup. He is fantastic in the ruck contest reading the play of the tap and winning the hardball gets. His average disposal in the state champs was around 25-26 and only second to Ah chee. With a disposal efficiency of over 75% is what the selectors of this year’s draft are looking for. Rarely fumbles the ball and is great at ground level, I would be extremely surprised to see him not taken by pick. Melbourne would be needing to pick someone like Scully up, after all their midfield hasn’t always been flash.

Round 1:

2. Melbourne:

Jack Trengrove, Height: 185cm | Weight: 82kg | DOB: 02/09/91

Wouldn’t be surprised if Melbourne decided to pick Trengrove at number 1 instead. But it isn’t likely as Scully is the Vic boy. He averaged 23 disposals in the state champs and had kicking efficiency of 70%. He doesn’t mind floating down forward and kicking a goal or two. He has a good overhead mark for someone his size and isn’t a pushover in contested possessions. He isn’t on the same level of where Scully is in reading the play in the ruck but is still proficient in gathering it.

3. Richmond:

Dustin Martin, Height: 187cm | Weight: 86kg | DOB: 26/06/91

The next best midfielder in the draft in my opinion. An inside mid with a better build than most of the other midfielders in the draft. He has the leg to kick over 50 and can still penetrate accurately at that distance. His extra size has given him the ability to throw his body around the contested situations and come out of it on top, while his speed and agility are average it’s something he can always build on. Richmond could also look for a KPF in this draft but Pick 2 is too early to pick a KPF in this year’s draft. His build will probably mean he would start around in the wing of half forward flank during the start of his career.

4. Fremantle:

Anthony Morabito, Height: 190cm | Weight: 90kg | DOB: 29/10/91

Fremantle will be thrilled with Morabito, a WA boy at his home. Morabito has been compared to the great Adam Goodes and his playing style suits Fremantle. With Morabito playing in the mid this will free up Pavlich to go back to CHF/FF to kick goals and back to where he is most proficient at. He moves with speed and agility with someone his size. His ability to win contested possession is also a plus and something that Fremantle need. A weakness of his while playing inside mid is that he hasn’t been getting enough Sherrin averaging only 16 possessions a game, he needs to work harder to find the ball more. A couple of seasons and some more experience and we could find the next Adam Goodes in him.

5. North Melbourne:

Ben Cunnington, Height: 186 | Weight: 84kg | DOB: 30/06/91

Cunnington is a proficient ball winning goal kicking mid. He is also very good at wining his own ball and getting a clearance inside a big pack. In TAC Cup he has also been used as a leading type forward, when having a rest or just being put down there to score goals. His shot at goal is very accurate and can kick a fair distance. North Melbourne will welcome Cunnington with open hands hoping that he will be the next Boomer Harvey.

6. Sydney:

John Butcher, Height: 197cm | Weight: 84kg | DOB: 03/07/91

After the loss of Hall, Micky O and Jolly Sydney would most likely be looking for a KPF. Step in John Butcher, he averaged 12 disposals, 7 marks accompanied with 3 goals a game in the TAC cup. Butcher will be the player to free up Jesse White to play in the ruck or have Butcher play CHF and have Goodes inside the mid feeding the ball to them. His marking ability is top if not the best in this year’s draft and his speed off the mark is another strength added to his arsenal. Another positive for Butcher is that his good hands can pick up half volleys and balls below knee level with relative ease. Sydney would benefit from Butcher with an above average midfield feeding the ball to him.

7. West Coast:

Lewis Jetta, Height: 181cm | Weight: 69kg | DOB: 04/05/89

Probably the best mature aged player in this year’s draft (not including delisted draftees). He will fit into West Coast with relative ease. His blistering speed and show pony skills are some of his best qualities. This is the x-factor the Eagles need to light up their spark again, after rebuilding for 2 years it seems like they will make a big play for the 8 again after last year’s performance, Jetta is the x-factor the Eagles will have after the departure of Judd/Cousins and the aging of Kerr. Jetta is called the 2009 Cyril, the little excitement machine might slip to the second round but I highly doubt it.

8. Port Adelaide:

Jake Carlisle, Height: 196cm | Weight: 83kg | DOB: 01/10/91

A KPP that can play both sides of the field, something that PA desperately needs. With the retirement of Tredrea coming up soon they need someone to step up, the Westhoff brothers have been bitter disappointments with them under-performing. Carlisle would probably need 1 or 2 seasons to bulk up and get some firsthand experience into him before turning into a moderately dangerous KPP. The skills that Carlisle has with him are his strong overhead mark and goal kicking skills. He has an accurate kick and can be a competitive player when contesting for the ball on the ground. Port will most likely also look at draft prospect Daniel Talia at this stage but is more likely to pick Carlisle due to his experience up forward.

9. Port Adelaide:

Kane Lucas, Height: 188cm | Weight: 79kg | DOB: 26/06/91

Ports other pick in the top 10 will most likely be used for a inside mid. His hard running and ball carrying skills are all top and with his awareness of the play and speed he will be a successful player. Flexible player who can play all ends of the field and hard-working with natural ability to find and gather the Sherrin. His playing style sort of relates to the playing style of Scott Pendlebury. Maybe 1-2 full pre-seasons of bulking up will see him as one of the most dominate inside mids in the comp. I pondered over whether this new uprising of Jake Melksham might make Lucas slip down to ten, but rather than take the risk I think PA will take the safe option of a readymade AFL player, Lucas.

10. Essendon:

Jake Melksham, Height: 182cm | Weight: 69kg | DOB: 29/8/91

Well hasn’t he slid up the scales in the following weeks? At the start of the State champs he was predicted to be a 3rd round draftee, but not he has slid up to be a top 10 draftee this year. He has tremendous ball winning skill with very clean skills on both hand and foot. Hard at it around the stoppages and able to play both inside and outside mid. He needs to work on his goal kicking and his body size. For an accomplished AFL midfielder, 69kg is just too little; he needs to spend 2 solid seasons on bulking up while still maintaining his speed and fitness. In a matter of years he could become what Dayne Swan was this year. If Lucas is available here, don’t be surprised if Bombers pass on him for Melksham.

11. Melbourne:

Daniel Talia, Height: 194cm | Weight: 89kg | DOB: 02/10/91

Probably the best KPD in this year’s draft. If needed he can play up forward and provide a tall marking option. His best quality is his read of the ball, being able to cut off leads and pin point where the ball carrier will pass to. As a KPD good overhead strength is a must and his is above average, not top but still better than the rest of the KPD but not as good as the other KPP. He has also been played in the centre during the state champs and seemed comfortable and able to play there. Melbourne would most likely want to select Talia to strengthen their KPP stocks, to help Robbie Warnock and others to develop while he takes the job down back.

12. Carlton:

Aaron Black,Height: 193cm | Weight: 78kg | DOB: 29/11/90

The next best KPF in my opinion and boy, Carlton need some quality KPFs. I haven’t seen much of him but his stats and profile talks for itself. His bio states that his: an Athletic key forward whose excellent hands are a feature. Agility and awareness are also strengths. Averaged 14 disposals and 2 goals a game. He quoted as being a player like Paddy Ryder. His strong overhead mark is good for his size while he still needs to bulk up a little bit. Carlton would be happy to take him in while grooming him and Henderson to be the next FF/CHF combination of CFC.

13. Adelaide:

Nathan Vardy, Height: 198cm | Weight: 89kg | DOB: 25/06/91

Yes probably the Smokey being taken this high, but he is the standout ruckmen of the 2009 draft prospects. I am known to criticize the effectiveness of Adelaide’s ruck stocks, let’s just say that I don’t think the current combination works. Nathan Vardy would bring skill in the tap work of the ruck and his effective and clean disposals. His tap work in the TAC Cup and state champs was second to none. He also has a high work rate and is above average in his marking. I could also see Adelaide picking up Gary Rohan here but I think their medium forward stocks are good.

14. Sydney:

Gary Rohan, Height: 188cm| Weight: 82kg | DOB: ????

With the burden of taking a KPP done Sydney can focus on strengthening other parts of their team. Gary Rohan would be a great addition to the Swans midfield, his x-factor would wow the crowd just like Adam Goodes does. His skills seem to be his jump and speed with the occasional big pack mark or contested possession get. His red hair shines above anything else and you won’t be able to miss him out on the football field. Many people say his more suited in the forward line rather than midfield and I would tell them that they are right. He would probably start in a Cyril role and play in the flanks before moving into the midfield for a steadfast career.

15. Western Bulldogs:

Luke Tapscott, Height: 180cm | Weight: 86kg | DOB: 28/06/91

A readymade AFL player is something that the Bulldogs need. They are desperate for a premiership, so desperate they traded for Hall. The Doggies need someone who has the physical presence and skills to step up into the AFL as soon as he has been drafted. Luke Tapscott is your man. He can play outside mid or half forward. His goal kicking and kicking efficiency need some skill but his best skills are in contested situations. His build makes him physically ready for the AFL and can take on pretty much any player that is currently playing. After a season or two of refining his skills he will be playing like Chapman.

16. Port Adelaide:

Ryan Bastinac, Height: 183cm | Weight: 74kg | DOB: 22/06/91

The smart inside midfield, Bastinac will complement the drafting of Kane Lucas. The pair along with Carlisle will strengthen Port Adelaide and they might even make a finals appearance. Bastinac has x-factor and is clean off both hands and feet. His decision making is top of the prospects with his awareness of what is going on around him and where his team mates are. His endurance and is elite and was shown in this year’s draft camp. Port Adelaide will be happy to pick up Bastinac after its 3 first round picks.

17. Geelong:

Benjamin Griffiths, Height: 198cm | Weight: 97kg | DOB: 17/09/91

What Geelong need now are ruckmen, with Mumford gone and Ottens only down to 1 knee they need someone to step into the ruck and that will most likely be Hawkins and with Hawkins in the ruck who will play the big man up forward? Benjamin Griffiths, a standout KPP this year and has well earned a top 16 pick. The main question is that how will he hold up in the AFL, he seems to have a tendency in getting injured. His a genuine full forward who has the capabilities of helping out in the ruck, his size and skill will worry any full back that is up against him while his speed around the ground helps him get where he wants. Geelong would be happy to pick up Griffiths after their trade week loses.

End.

Thanks for reading, theses are purely MY THOUGHTS on what will happen on draft day, according to stats and what I think teams need. So please don't post flames of s**t like "Why is Rohan down so low? blah blah blah flame flame flame flame".

Good effort mate. I don't agree with alot of the draft itself but I can see the reasoning behind the selections. I don't believe Rohan will slide that far, Vardy taken way too early especially as decent ruckman will still be available in the 2nd round and Carlisle is too high too many issues regarding his pace.

You might also want to note that Morabito did not test at the draft as he was injured & so "His vertical jump amazed the selectors "would not have happened.

You might also want to note that Morabito did not test at the draft as he was injured & so "His vertical jump amazed the selectors "would not have happened.

Oh, must of misread an article on him. Will fix that.

Back