News Young Pies in the AFL U-22 AA Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Given Brown was 22 before the start of the year it must be a 22 and under team.
I had checked the age/DoB of a few of the players (though not Brown) and concluded that it must be "under 22 on January 1st" after noting that Melbourne's Tom McDonald (picked in quite a few people's AA team at the half-way mark of the season) hadn't made it. His DoB is 18/09/1992, so like Brown he had turned 22 prior to January 1st/the start of the season.

None of the articles I've read on the AFLPA website shed any light on the issue. Wikipedia is obviously not the most reliable of sources, but this probably has the answer:-

The 22 Under 22 team (stylised as 22under22) is an honorary representative Australian rules football team created by the AFL Players' Association that seeks to recognise the best young talent in the Australian Football League (AFL) competition each year. To be eligible for selection, players must be aged 22 or under for the entire AFL season (including finals). An initial squad of 40 is selected by the AFL Players' Board, before fans select a final team of 22 by voting via social media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22_Under_22_team

So, Brown is okay as he doesn't turn 23 until after the season, McDonald isn't as he turns 23 in September. Strange way of doing it, I'd say!

Edit: From the Collingwood website - To be eligible for the team, players must be aged 22 or younger on Grand Final day (3 October 2015).

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2015-08-27/five-pies-named-in-elite-squad

Last edited:
Future is bright, and I'm also really positive on de goey, Moore and marsh as prospects. Adams is a gun too and must just be over 22 or else he would be on that list.

If scharenberg stays he will be on that list next year too. And of course we may get treloar!
Adams is in the squad. He's still only 21 and (seemingly) would be eligible next year. This is how it looks (with McCarthy included).

upload_2015-8-27_15-48-21.jpeg

You'd think Grundy should edge out Longer. Adams and Crisp are no chance, not because they're not quality players but there are plenty ahead of them on the list. Williams and Langdon.. maybe, would have Williams over Langdon at this stage. I had Williams in with Lever, Laird, Yeo, Hombsch, Vlastuin and Newnes.

You'd think Grundy should edge out Longer. Adams and Crisp are no chance, not because they're not quality players but there are plenty ahead of them on the list. Williams and Langdon.. maybe, would have Williams over Langdon at this stage. I had Williams in with Lever, Laird, Yeo, Hombsch, Vlastuin and Newnes.

So Grundy be the Only One then

So Grundy be the Only One then

I think he's the only one almost guaranteed to make it. I had a look at the main board thread earlier on today and he certainly seemed the more popular choice over Longer from memory. Williams is a maybe, from memory maybe 50% or so of people in that thread had Williams in their teams.

My Team:

Screen_Shot_2015_08_27_at_10_55_54_PM.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Dave, I see you managed to find a spot for all 5 of our boys. :)
He tried to put Grundy in twice but the site wouldn't let him.

Kinda surprised Brayshaw is in the squad, he's going to be a very good player but far worse than any other mid listed there IMO. I guess no one leaps to mind to take his spot but I'm sure there's someone somewhere.

EDIT: Went through this list and had Williams & Grundy selected. Adams ended up being my last selected mid but it was pretty line-ball with a lot of them.

Last edited:
Grundy is as good a young ruckman as I've seen for some time. He has to be in the under 22 squad.
Given Williams has been spoken of as an AA initial squad candidate he has to be in the under 22 side I'm actually surprised he qualifies).
That's all we should have IMO which given our youth focus and list management decisions is concerning. We should have 3 walk up starts and 2-4 more strongly in the debate. The only other player I can see pushing into the walk up start category next year based on exposed form is Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back