Draft Watcher Young Talent Time - A 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I think is becoming evident is that the top 15 is quite fluid. Knightmare said so over on his mock and I think Chris said something similiar. These top end picks might come more down to preference of style and needs then to actual best available

I think for the most part, the top 15 is fairly set (well, as set as it can be a week out from the draft).

The questions are over who GWS takes between Toumpas and Menzel, but whoever they don't take will just go to the Bulldogs. So it wont have a real impact. Similarly, I think the same will happen with Jaksch and Macrae - Carlton just take whichever one Brisbane doesn't.

The only real question I have is over Sam Mayes - no idea where he lands. Him going in the top 10 (where he deserves to go) would shake things up. Otherwise, I think he slides to GWS at #12 - which I think will be enough for them to go Toumpas over Menzel at #2.

When I say I think the top 15 is set, I'm talking more in terms of what I predict to happen. My own draft won't reflect that, because they are my own rankings - which do differ from my predictions. Stringer and Garner for example would feature in mine.

Whitfield, Toumpas, Plowman, Wines, O'Rourke, Menzel, Grundy, Jaksch, Vlastuin, Daniher, Macrae, Mayes, Simpson, Corr, Kennedy is my predicted top 15 at this stage.

most people now have us taking Jaksch, insted of Shaw, but Shaw sounds like the perfect replacement for Brown. Who do you rate higher Macrea, or Jaksch, for Brisbane and if Brisbane does take Macrea first, would Shaw still be avilable at 24 for Brisbane. If not who would be the KPPer's avilable at our picks that you would recomend would suit Brisbane.

The questions are over who GWS takes between Toumpas and Menzel, but whoever they don't take will just go to the Bulldogs. So it wont have a real impact

Are Melbourne that set on Wines that they'll pass on Toumpas?

Are Melbourne that set on Wines that they'll pass on Toumpas?
well over on the Melbourne board, some guy said that during an MCC event last night (which also had quite a few MFC personnel there) Neeld was posed the question of Wines ending up at the MFC, to which Neeld supposedly said that the Dees don't rate him in the top 4. Could be cryptic or a bunch of BS (Don't know why Neeld would tell a stranger our drafting plans). Either way, Toumpas or Wines, i'd love either.

People have said that Kennedy could slip to our second pick. Surely other clubs won't be that stupid. Has there been any word on why he may slip?

The only bad thing about Kennedy is that he's got some ego problems, though I think they've been exaggerated a little. Maybe doesn't want to leave SA?

The only bad thing about Kennedy is that he's got some ego problems, though I think they've been exaggerated a little. Maybe doesn't want to leave SA?

Do you really think he said "don't draft me! I want to stay in sa"? He should be going between 10-15. That is a huge slide for ego issues

It's happened before with mixed results.

Guys like Yarran didn't want to leave but he's now on his second contract extension. Others like Gunston flew the coop at first notice.

You'd think that if a club rates him high enough they'll back themselves to keep him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be pissed if Kennedy was there at 22 and we didn't take him. I expect North to take him though.
He seems most likely at this stage, but if Stringer is there....

That's the word and with clubs being more and more focused on not only player ability but also attitude I can definitely see him slide. He's probably a top 15 player on talent but it seems more and more likely that he will be picked up closer to the 20-25 draft range.

If he is there at pick 20 crows will take him for sure. They are big into him, he has been training with them from time to time and word has it he really got pissed when the crows didn't take him in the MD.

If he is there at pick 20 crows will take him for sure. They are big into him, he has been training with them from time to time and word has it he really got pissed when the crows didn't take him in the MD.

Add that to the list of AFL rules they've broken. No wonder their hearing has been delayed. ;)

I remember hearing it on AA and they said it was allowed.

Trusting AA - there's your problem. If he was one of the Academy players assigned for a week of 'work experience' like Grundy was at Port that is allowable. But potential draftees cannot train with AFL clubs at random for a bit of a look. Port tried that a few years back with a couple of SANFL players and were smacked on the wrist by the AFL.

Thurlow is clearly the latest Div 2 love child. Weren't Richard Tambling, Anthony Corrie, Dylan McNeil, John McKenzie and Jake Furfaro all Hunter Harrison medallists?

Jake Neade won it this year, not Thurlow. Michael Voss, Brad Green, Grant Birchall, Craig Bird and Mitch Robinson all won it too though :thumbsu:

I reckon there might be time for one last update before the draft next week. Will try to do it in the next few days.

Chris, I notice Tom Temay isn't in your draft. Your thoughts on him as a player?

I'd have Temay more as a rookie pick myself, but admittedly I am always underselling players like him. Realistically, he could go anywhere from around pick 40 onwards and chances are someone does take him late. He is a solid player in most areas which will likely endear him to clubs in the middle rounds - he might have no standout features, but he has no real obvious deficiencies either. Think he'll be limited to playing as a small defender at the next level, it's just a question as to whether he can develop any genuine strings to his bow - being able to shut down the likes of Betts, Ballantyne and Rioli for example.

most people now have us taking Jaksch, insted of Shaw, but Shaw sounds like the perfect replacement for Brown. Who do you rate higher Macrea, or Jaksch, for Brisbane and if Brisbane does take Macrea first, would Shaw still be avilable at 24 for Brisbane. If not who would be the KPPer's avilable at our picks that you would recomend would suit Brisbane.

I like Jaksch for Brisbane - #8 would be the top of his range, but there is no guarantee of either Tim O'Brien or Mason Wood being available at #24 so maybe that necessitates going early on Jaksch. Although having said that, I still rate Mason Shaw as being the best KPF in the draft. And all the latest talk has him available at #24.

Personally, I'm leaning away from Macrae. I question whether he has the midfield ability, and if he only becomes a half forward flanker at AFL level - with maybe some time on a wing. At the very least he'll be a few years away, and I wouldn't be surprised if Brisbane were looking for something more immediate from their first pick - which Sam Mayes would offer (as well as being the better prospect).

A Mayes/Shaw draft would be a good one. A Mayes/Lonergan/Shaw draft would be even better. Spencer White would be the other KPF I would be looking at for Brisbane - you already have the solid bodies up forward, time for the raw talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back