Your top 10 underated players of 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

Started his year off making a lot of blues and generally being less effective than he's capable of but he's building. Actually increased his input (clearances and contested possession both up from last year, both 5th overall AFL wide in totals) but having less of an impact on the outside.

I'm frankly quite surprised that Ziebell has overtaken him this year.
I would've thought he was the better prospect based on past performances and attributes.

I'm frankly quite surprised that Ziebell has overtaken him this year.
I would've thought he was the better prospect based on past performances and attributes.
Ziebell was carrying a shoulder injury all of last year. All North fans were expecting a pretty big year from Ziebs after the reconstruction surgery. His 2013 showed what he could do as a goal-kicking mid.

Josh Gibson has been as good, if not better than Rance. So has Tom McDonald.

Ill go with -

Josh Gibson

Was going to mention Gibbo but thought I'd get shouted down. It isn't just this year, it's every year.

He's high profile but very under rated as a player IMO.

It's not an indictment on Ziebell, more how highly I rated Cunnington.
Didn't take it as such. I'd rate Cunnington the better footballer but Ziebell has shown an ability to exert himself upon the game at crucial times that makes him difficult to compare against more consistent players.

Gary Rohan doesn't get nearly enough kudos

Nor does he get anywhere near enough scrutiny for a number 6 draft pick. Was absolutely embarrassing in the second half last week, confirming that his first half was the exception to the rule.

Was s**t before he broke his leg, is s**t now. Definitely not underrated. He's a poor man's Jordan Murdoch, and I'm no Jordan Murdoch fan.

Last edited:
I reckon we've got 3 who don't get much recognition at all despite how well they are going, Ben Stratton, Liam Shiels and Taylor Duryea.
Has been in brilliant form lately and gonna soon getting recognised by the general AFL community.

Shiels is very underrated, had another outstanding game once again this week. Definitely top 3 in the AFL for underrated players for mine.

Stratton is a gun in defence, does the important stuff like filling in holes, taking important contested marks, shuts down small-mid forwards and resting midfielders to perfection.

I reckon Poupolo is underrated to a good extent.

My top 10 underrated players in the league(not in order):
Liam Shiels
Everitt
Richard Douglas
Dylan Buckley
Clancee Pearce
Jeff Garlett
Ben Stratton
Jack Crisp
Josh Hill
Matthew Priddis (still underrated)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for mentioning Shiels, those that have, flies so far under the radar I'm surprised other teams' supporters even know his name....
After two flags in a row and cruising towards a three-peat I'd be surprised if there are any Hawthorn players oppo fans are unaware of! :$

Very Depth. Much Win. So Skill.

Jeff Garlett is the man, arguably the best small forward in the competition at the moment

What - better than Eddie Betts? Would be a pretty one-sided argument.

I admittedly have only watched him 4 or 5 times this year, but his numbers are basically the same as they were in 2013 (with 0.5 a tackle a game more). I'm not knocking the guy - he is consistent and solid. But best small forward in the game is a massive stretch in my view.

Nick Haynes is a perfect example. The very definition of underrated. So many people are going to say Easton Wood and players who have improved but that isn't underrated. Wood is in most peoples AA teams, he is rated and wasn't previously because he wasn't as good.

I agree with this. Nick Haynes is such a good player. And yet he is the last mentioned of GWS' stars. I'd be trying to poach him before many of his more illustrious team-mates. I think he embodies the definition of under-rated.

Wouldn't have Kade Simpson on the list even though I've seen him listed a few times. Is one of the more high profile and highly regarded Blues I would have thought.
My thoughts exactly. Anyone who didnt rate Kade as a very good player before this season is not with it. And its odd he gets a mention now considering he doesnt have as much as an influence on games now than what he previously did.

What - better than Eddie Betts? Would be a pretty one-sided argument.

I admittedly have only watched him 4 or 5 times this year, but his numbers are basically the same as they were in 2013 (with 0.5 a tackle a game more). I'm not knocking the guy - he is consistent and solid. But best small forward in the game is a massive stretch in my view.

I said arguably, he had the jitters in front of goal at the start of the season on set shots especially but he has had something like 50 shots on goal so far probably more, had he kicked those he would already have 35 odd goals and be on the way to a 55-60 goal season

Just checked, Betts has kicks 35-11 and Garlett 25-21 , I reckon half of those misses were as easy as it gets, both had 46 shots on goal

So yeah as finishing is part of the job betts has been better but as soon as Garlett cleans that up which has been the last few games he could be in the top 5 goal kickers in the AFL , not bad for a team who still has terribly low I50 numbers

In no particular order

- Easton Wood
- Lachie Neale
- Jeff Garlett
- Jack Crisp
- Rory Laird
- Mitch Wallis
- Jack Hombsch
- Liam Shiels
- Tom Scully
- Shaun Higgins

Nor does he get anywhere near enough scrutiny for a number 6 draft pick. Was absolutely embarrassing in the second half last week, confirming that his first half was the exception to the rule.

Was s**t before he broke his leg, is s**t now. Definitely not underrated. He's a poor man's Jordan Murdoch, and I'm no Jordan Murdoch fan.

What are you on about? He's been very good all year. The entire team was embarrassing in the second half on Friday, hardly down to Rohan.

Zach Merrett from my team, Billings, Brayshaw, Bontempelli etc, get all the praise about the place but Merrett is putting up performances just as good and probably been more consistent, the one thing he hasn't done which is probably why the others get more attention is have that one really wow game the others have had.

What are you on about? He's been very good all year. The entire team was embarrassing in the second half on Friday, hardly down to Rohan.

So you think that averaging 12.5 possies with 2 clangers a game, for a number 6 draft pick in his 6th year, no less, is "very good"? I guess it's up on his career average of 10 touches a game, so might be a bit deceiving :rolleyes:

He would have been delisted by now if not for his high draft position.

upload_2015-7-1_8-54-16.png

So you think that averaging 12.5 possies with 2 clangers a game, for a number 6 draft pick in his 6th year, no less, is "very good"? I guess it's up on his career average of 10 touches a game, so might be a bit deceiving :rolleyes:

He would have been delisted by now if not for his high draft position.

View attachment 148395

Yet more evidence that stats are not necessarily a good way of assessing someone's play. Try watching the games and using your eyes instead of reading numbers from a page FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back