Would We Take Ben Cousins??????

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 8, 2008
On the couch
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton,LA Lakers,LA Rams,NY Mets
i'm undecided he's supposedly going to play for one of the vfl teams here probably port melbourne this year, and i'm wondering if he may add that extra quality midfielder to carry us over to another flag. with the swans bloods code we could transform this bloke from an arrogant pig to a great team player

hmmm possibly
personally i wouldnt wanna see him anywhere near our club
he needs to work like an absolute dog for at least a year or 2 to get fitness and skills back to what they were
he'll never be as good as he was
but if he helps us win another flag, then so be it

For sure, I think our leadership group could keep him in line, the prob he had before, he WAS the leader, Im a huge fan, Ive met him a few times in Port, around the time of that infamous pic outside the crown, hes a nice young bloke, with some obvious issues, but until youve walked a mile in his shoes, you shouldnt be so fast to judge him, he is a gun footballer, who would be a great asset, if given the correct help and management!

P.S, geez he looks good in a Port jumper(backpage todays sun)!

Go the Burra's!...:thumbsu:

hmmm possibly
personally i wouldnt wanna see him anywhere near our club
he needs to work like an absolute dog for at least a year or 2 to get fitness and skills back to what they were
he'll never be as good as he was
but if he helps us win another flag, then so be it

Remember his return against the Swans in WA after 6 months off or whatever it was.

Tore us a new one with about 40 posessions from memory, it wont take anywhere that long and from reports, he his already pretty fit.

He is a gun, probably one of the best midfielders to play the modern game, but unfortunately the other crap will be what he is remembered for.

NO NO NO NO!!!

I don't want him near our team, I don't care how good he is. He's 30!! We don't want him near our boys and besides, Roosy has expressed he has no interest in taking Cousins. :thumbsu:

Our leadership group is very good at turning around troubled players, look at Hall, Everitt and Davis. Davis is on the outs now but he curbed a lot of his bad behaviour both on and off the field before his defensive aggression came into question. That being said I still wouldn't want Cousins, I'd love to see him play for us cause he'd be great on the field, but there is that small percentage that he could do what he did over in Perth and that slight chance is too much for me IMO.

I would love to see him in the red and whites.
There's no denying that he will attract a lot of media attention, and keep AFL in the spotlight. For the growth of the game in sydney we need a player like Ben cousins.

i wouldn't mind seeing him in the red and white, it'll bring another quality midfielder into the ranks

but it's a question of whether we can be a sustainable premiership threat for the next few years? :confused: (as his game at 30yo is all downhill)

i wouldn't mind seeing him in the red and white, it'll bring another quality midfielder into the ranks

but it's a question of whether we can be a sustainable premiership threat for the next few years? :confused: (as his game at 30yo is all downhill)

So you're saying that Hall, MOL and Kirk are on the wane? They're all over 30yo and playing excellent football! Age has nothing to do with it, it's the skills that win you the game...

I wouldn't want him at all. My biggest memory of Cousins is him on the podium in the '06 Granny. He was swinging his arms like an arrogant tosser.

We don't need a 30+ midfielder who may never get back to his best.

Absolutely yes.

Put a behaviour clause in his contract and give him 2 years.

Playing with our group and being in a non-AFL town will do him the world of good. The fact that he's 30 doesn't worry me at all. He'll probably appreciate how little time he has left in the came and that he needs to make the most of it.

It was reported on the 5th qtr after the Saints game a couple of weeks ago that it was believed the Swans were one of at least 3 teams to approach West Coast about a trade for Daniel Kerr.

So you're saying that Hall, MOL and Kirk are on the wane? They're all over 30yo and playing excellent football! Age has nothing to do with it, it's the skills that win you the game...

don't get me wrong, they are all brilliant players (and still are)

but at age 30 most players consider retirement; at age 33 and above, very very few players are still running around

if ben cousins comes to sydney, he'll be 30. hall, mol and kirk will be around mid 30s (if they are even still even around). at that age they will run as fast as a snail to ensure they don't break a hip. they will be off the ground every 5 minutes to check for prostate cancer

rob harvey, mol, kirk, hall, richardson and co. are all brilliant players - but skill will not compensate for loss of leg speed and strength:( (just my opinion - i may just be too cynical)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take him if we include a no drugs/dickead policy in his one year contract and show the AFL (just so we'd be off the disrepute charge, y'know :p).

Personally, I reckon he'd be awesome for Western Sydney when it comes into the comp. He tends to gather quite a cult following, but unfortunately he won't be Benny boy anymore by then!

Absolutely yes.

Put a behaviour clause in his contract and give him 2 years.

Playing with our group and being in a non-AFL town will do him the world of good. The fact that he's 30 doesn't worry me at all. He'll probably appreciate how little time he has left in the came and that he needs to make the most of it.

Exactly, I'd love too watch one of the best players in history, running around in the red and white for a year or so!
When you get older, you'll appreciate the memories!

Certainly not his stomach with that sign on it Soph.
Seriously i would take him on a 1 year contract with a further year option and keep him away from that rat mundine

agree about mundine, he wouldnt fight Green at his natural weight a couple of years ago, the rat made him drop down and become weak before he'd fight him, he's not squeaky clean living either, Cuz would be better off doing a bit of boxing with Sammy or someone in melb, Cuz looks pretty sharp in the ring, Lewis would accomadate him in Syd if he signed with us, Cuz loves his boxing a bit

ps, Im a Sammy fan, did a bit of work with him when he was young, hes a clean living bloke, another victim of the rats fighting weight issues, I thought he beat the rat, but he's not as marketable, so the rat got the points!

I'm a big fan of Cousins, and have a lot of time for your footy club, and I actually think Sydney would be the best fit for Cousins, and you would benefit the most from him.

Him in your middle would throw you straight into the Premiership mix again, with probably 2 years to win another, and you've got a very strong, disciplined club, with a fantastic culture - which would hopefully help Cousins stay on the right track.

I hope you guys pick him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back