Toast What does it take to be a whipping boy ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHiscoxWasFast

All Australian
Nov 30, 2023
AFL Club
Sydney
Boys getting whipped is not an image that can be unseen yet whipping boys seem to get mentioned nearly every match. It left me pondering, what does it take to reach this status of infamy ?

After distilling the multiple comments over many threads I surmise the following, that to be a whipping boy:

1. Your high reputation does not match your performance

2. You are picked on because you stand out for making a few clangers

3. Coach keeps picking you no matter what - sparking conspiracy theories of certain photos being in one’s possession

4. You let the fans down when we need you most

5. Bedford or Punts doesn’t like you

We nearly even had a whipping boy worst 22 at some point.

So for season 2024 who will take out the Lack of Skillton whipping boy award ?

1. You don't get enough possessions for some fans liking, because we're really in the fantasy footy game. Playing a specific role for the team means nothing, you're no good.

2. You don't make the highlights reel enough, therefore you're obviously no good and should be replaced by someone newer, shinier and more exciting.

3. You struggle with injuries, leading to a poor fitness base, so can't capitalise for long enough or often enough, despite obvious talent, to satisfy some fans, therefore you're no good or lazy. Alternatively, your AFL career may be ruined by injuries, stripping you of your strengths, fans will still hold it against you and the list team for not being psychic.

4. Generally being a defensive forward, mid, lockdown small or medium defender, means you're surplus to requirements and can be replaced by someone quicker or flashier as above. People will then wonder in amazement as to how our forward pressure drops, clearances are down, or oppo forwards get off the leash.

5. You're part of a defensive unit besieged constantly because the forwards and mids can't keep the ball outside of D50 on repeat, with opposition entries coming in without pressure. Doesn't matter if you battle valiantly, if there's goals scored it's your fault, no-one will notice anything other than you clearly being no good.

6. If you're any kind of forward, doesn't matter if entries are rubbish, if we don't outscore the opposition, you're no good. Bonus points if you're a small/medium type and we keep bombing it high expecting you to outmark multiple opponents.

7. Basically about 5 mins since you did something good, or even if you were good in prior games... If someone has had a grievance in the past against you, you make a mistake, then whack, you're obviously no good and you're being offered a ride to the airport.

8. If your name is Oliver Florent and the poster has an African nations flag as their profile pic, it doesn't matter what you do.

Last edited:
ROFL re 8. Honestly I am puzzled about why anyone could be so vehement about Ollie.

Can I suggest an addition

9. Being a forward who shanks 30m set shots when you made it clear you did not want the ball or responsibility.

ROFL re 8. Honestly I am puzzled about why anyone could be so vehement about Ollie.

Can I suggest an addition

9. Being a forward who shanks 30m set shots when you made it clear you did not want the ball or responsibility.
Ollie is one of the best things about our defence. He is intelligent in his play. He is elusive coming out of the defensive area. His ability to weave through traffic is about the best of any Swan. He delivers good ball. Any criticisms about him are unfounded.

8. If your name is Oliver Florent and the poster has an African nations flag as their profile pic, it doesn't matter what you do.

Are you referring to the great nation of Chad?

1. You don't get enough possessions for some fans liking, because we're really in the fantasy footy game. Playing a specific role for the team means nothing, you're no good.

2. You don't make the highlights reel enough, therefore you're obviously no good and should be replaced by someone newer, shinier and more exciting.

3. You struggle with injuries, leading to a poor fitness base, so can't capitalise for long enough or often enough, despite obvious talent, to satisfy some fans, therefore you're no good or lazy. Alternatively, your AFL career may be ruined by injuries, stripping you of your strengths, fans will still hold it against you and the list team for not being psychic.

4. Generally being a defensive forward, mid, lockdown small or medium defender, means you're surplus to requirements and can be replaced by someone quicker or flashier as above. People will then wonder in amazement as to how our forward pressure drops, clearances are down, or oppo forwards get off the leash.

5. You're part of a defensive unit besieged constantly because the forwards and mids can't keep the ball outside of D50 on repeat, with opposition entries coming in without pressure. Doesn't matter if you battle valiantly, if there's goals scored it's your fault, no-one will notice anything other than you clearly being no good.

6. If you're any kind of forward, doesn't matter if entries are rubbish, if we don't outscore the opposition, you're no good. Bonus points if you're a small/medium type and we keep bombing it high expecting you to outmark multiple opponents.

7. Basically about 5 mins since you did something good, or even if you were good in prior games... If someone has had a grievance in the past against you, you make a mistake, then whack, you're obviously no good and you're being offered a ride to the airport.

PMSL, accurate though!

Boys getting whipped is not an image that can be unseen yet whipping boys seem to get mentioned nearly every match. It left me pondering, what does it take to reach this status of infamy ?

After distilling the multiple comments over many threads I surmise the following, that to be a whipping boy:

1. Your high reputation does not match your performance

2. You are picked on because you stand out for making a few clangers

3. Coach keeps picking you no matter what - sparking conspiracy theories of certain photos being in one’s possession

4. You let the fans down when we need you most

5. Bedford or Punts doesn’t like you

We nearly even had a whipping boy worst 22 at some point.

So for season 2024 who will take out the Lack of Skillton whipping boy award ?
What is your mission , relentless posys on everything , just asking

What is your mission , relentless posys on everything , just asking
To beat your daily average of posts Bedders!

You’ve made 48,000 posts in 16 years, 3000 a year - nearly 8 a day. This is the stuff of legends and what any new member should aspire to.

I’ve only made 70 posts in 16 days, that’s about 4 or so a day. Gotta up my tempo to catch you - esp in the off season.

You’ve made 48,000 posts in 16 years, 3000 a year - nearly 8 a day. This is the stuff of legends and what any new member should aspire to.

I’ve only made 70 posts in 16 days, that’s about 4 or so a day. Gotta up my tempo to catch you - esp in the off season.
Ignore bedders. You don't have to explain why you post on here, nor does anyone. Everyone's got their own motivations and whether they choose to share them or not is up to that individual.

Keep up the optimistic posts.

As for how you can improve your post number, I'd recommend getting into heated discussions that don't really go anywhere on the following players: Aliir Aliir, George Hewett, Ollie Florent, Jake Lloyd, Sam Reid & Luke Parker. They have done wonders for my count :thumbsu:

Based on comments lately in other threads, Hayward an odds on favorite to be whipping boy of the year in '24.
Hayward took over Sam Reid's spot in my book since, well, since Reid is always injured.

I do concede that Sam Reid does a good job when he actually gets on the field though. I hope Hayward does the same.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ignore bedders. You don't have to explain why you post on here, nor does anyone. Everyone's got their own motivations and whether they choose to share them or not is up to that individual.

Keep up the optimistic posts.

As for how you can improve your post number, I'd recommend getting into heated discussions that don't really go anywhere on the following players: Aliir Aliir, George Hewett, Ollie Florent, Jake Lloyd, Sam Reid & Luke Parker. They have done wonders for my count :thumbsu:
I was joking it's funny , all these new threads

There are a couple of others that would triple that daily

99% call: Heeney if he is MIA again he’ll take out whipping boy status

50% call: Rowbottom if he avgs 15 disposals as a mid and only plays defensive (but he wont be a whipping boy in my eyes)

1% call: Logan if he doesnt step up without Bud around
I'm convinced that for some, unless Heeney's face gets mauled by a shark, he could average 25+ touches and 3 goals a game and one or two on here would still be calling him a disappointment.

#4 a key one imo

Bedford hated McVeigh and Punts very much disliked Mills playing in the midfield. Both have been proven to be bad takes.
My guess is McVeigh once pointed in Bedford's general direction and seemed to move his lips, which Bedford saw as making a derogatory comment under his breath.

The OP should also be aware that Bedford enjoys whipping newbie posters

Punts would make a whipping boy out of the whole team if he could. Sometime I think he dislikes every player in the team. Other times I think he just dislikes people, all people, people in general, humans, and their dogs.

Grand Uncle Horace has "unreasonable issues" with Reid. It it a kink thing? He would dearly love to whip him for something. Too many of us like Reid for him to become a true whipping boy. Reid's like one of those comic book heroes who gets repeatedly beaten, hit by a freight train, buried under a collapsed building, tied to a nuclear missile, or strapped to a rocket and hurled into the sun. Reid just keeps dusting himself off and coming back to the fight. Even when he's delisted he finds a way back. He's admired for his sheer tenacity, as much as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back