Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great player and a legend of Australian sport obviously, but overall I didn't really like Buddy Franklin. He wouldn't even crack my top 50 favourite Swans players.

Edit: Just went over every player we've had from the time I could reasonably remember footy and no, Buddy does not make my top 50 favourite Swans players.

fair call ... he could play a bit, but he was no LRT

187. Roberts and Gus will not break into the team this year.
188. When Mills returns it will be in defence
189. J Mac will never regain his speed post injury unfortunately, putting his selection at risk some time this year

I think Sheldrick is nothing special and don't understand the hype.

I think we probably have too many short players (the best in the league mind you) and don't think an additional average short player will help us in any way.

Last edited:
Tackles are the most useless stat in the AFL.

Your opponent beats you to the loose ground ball, but you immediately wrap them up?
They get no stat, but you get rewarded with a tackle stat.

Opponent secures the ball from a stoppage and you immediately just wrap them up?
You get a tackle stat, despite really doing nothing other than standing around & applying a bear-hug to a stationary opponent.

Pile on top of a player already on the ground? Get a tackle stat.

You can basically rack up 10 tackles without doing much.

Your opponent beats you to the loose ground ball, but you immediately wrap them up?

Opponent secures the ball from a stoppage and you immediately just wrap them up?
You get a tackle stat, despite really doing nothing other than standing around & applying a bear-hug to a stationary opponent.

The exception is Gus the Tank whose tackles lay on the hurt.

194. AFL statistics are all wrong. Instead of possessions, goals behinds etc I wanna see Clangers, Missed Tackles, Frees For and Against, Second efforts etc
195. Our players are nowhere near as good nor as bad as we make out
196. Ground Zero should replace Round 0

194. AFL statistics are all wrong. Instead of possessions, goals behinds etc I wanna see Clangers, Missed Tackles, Frees For and Against, Second efforts etc

that's hardly an "opinion"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great player and a legend of Australian sport obviously, but overall I didn't really like Buddy Franklin. He wouldn't even crack my top 50 favourite Swans players.

Edit: Just went over every player we've had from the time I could reasonably remember footy and no, Buddy does not make my top 50 favourite Swans players.
Nor mine. He was actually quite aloof, unless you were a kid. Then he was good. I liked people like Rocket Rod. A bloke called Brownie who played in the '70's. My Sister In Law's sister was his girlfriend. Great bloke. Plugger was great. So many Swans who were just so bloody nice. Especially '80's/'90's in Sydney. We used to go every week & see them get flogged in the '90's. But there they were trying their guts out. After it was a shrug of the shoulder, a small tear & they got on with preparing for next week. Hard times. A very young side. Then Plugger & co came up. We were hot in '96. I covered the launch of Anti Violence Campaign launched in the Swans club & the players who launched it were sensational.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Sheldrick is nothing special and don't understand the hype.

I think we probably have too many short players (the best in the league mind you) and don't think an additional average short player will help us in any way.
I understand it completely. You must have missed those last two games before injury mate. He was outstanding. Not only that he took on Horbe- Francis at the National Carnival and made mincemeat of him. Totally destroyed the guy. He got 35 disposals that day, Horne- Francis 15

There are three types of tackle;

Those that stick
Those that don't
And those that are so effective they stop the players from disposing. It's the third I like

196. They should have just started the season then. Not made a special round to get NSW viewers. It's bullshit

198. Wicks will improve his discipline and eventually end up taking Harry’s role to free up spot for Konstanty
199. Lloyd picks up the cheapest stats in the team
200. One day, even if it’s only ever just one day, it is all going to come together for Wayward, Benny Ronke style. And in that moment, he will be declared the next Brownlow hopeful and be forever stripped of his whipping boy captaincy.

198. Wicks will improve his discipline and eventually end up taking Harry’s role to free up spot for Konstanty
199. Lloyd picks up the cheapest stats in the team
200. One day, even if it’s only ever just one day, it is all going to come together for Wayward, Benny Ronke style. And in that moment, he will be declared the next Brownlow hopeful and be forever stripped of his whipping boy captaincy.
201. Thereafter Wayward will fall off the cliff, Ben Ronke, Ian Baker-Finch, Brad Hodge style.

203. Longmire was 100% foxing in the praccy

204. Gus ‘Tutankhamen’ Sheldrick has only 6 days before joining Wayward and Heeney in the whipping boy line up. Seriously the wraps on this kid / expectations are grossly unfair

205. Roberts won’t make it this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back