Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood and Brisbane will struggle to make the eight as other teams surge past them. At least one will miss out.

Geelong will finish 3rd
Maybe Kane has heard the Crows are keen and he wants to make them pay up if they go after him.
If I catch Dawson as much as texting a Swans player I'll ram the phone so far up his nether regions he'll be taking calls with his tongue and text with his tonsils, "Sozi, con't tok, Ribba caut ma txteng".

Tex has just roosted home a huge goal in the derby. Players are taking up positions before the centre bounce when Dawson's phone starts to vibrate against his larynx. "Bzzzuh, bzzzuh. Bzzzuh, bzzzuh" It's a call. Nicks presses down his tongue. "Ha-woe?" he whispers. "Dawsy, it's Nicksy. No, no, don't look around. Just jog over to Tex and open your mouth would ya?" "Uh-huh" Dawson jogs over and beckons to Tex Walker* "Hey Daws, why are you mouthing at me like a goldfish?" Dawson looks down, gesturing towards his throat "Tex, down here, inside Dawsy, it's me, Matty" "How'd ya get inside Daws, Nicksy?" "I'm not inside him you idiot, his phone is. Listen Tex, I want you to roost a couple more big goals" "Gee Nicksy, they're hard work" "Go on, I'll let you have a nice big racist rant in the change room after everyone's left" "And I won't get in any trouble?" "I promise you won't"

Tex clunks the ball between his dinner plate hands as it spills from the centre stoppage. He wheels around onto his huge foot and bangs home a goal from 60m" "Take that you C-word, F-word, N-word, P word, T-word" he mumbles under his breath at no-one in particular.

*Walker : From the ghost who walks

Out of bounds should be the 'last touch rule'

If the ball is touched or hits the post and goes in, it should be a goal/behind.

I'll tack on that if it bounces off the post back into the field of play - play on!

Totally agree with the last. Why should it matter if it touches the post? The only tricky one is if it rebounds into the field of play and doesn't go through. Point or OOB. Again, so what if it's touched.
This is the one eye rolling suggestion that gets brought up this time of year like clockwork.

In our game the goal posts are fundamentally there to act as an indicator of score, not a barrier like soccer. Everything between the goalside edge of the post through to the inside edge of the behind post is a behind. Would be nice to have lasers as a goal posts, but until then we have no choice but for it to be a physical object. The only time a barrier to goal is adequate is when everywhere else outside of that barrier doesn't count as anything, which is not the case in footy.

The above is also why 'play on if it hits the post and comes back into play' does not make sense. You can't create a situation where a bad kick straight through the behinds is rewarded with 1 point, and then proceed to give a better kick which hits the goal post and back into play 0. Imagine that to win it after the siren. It would basically reward poorer kicks.

Last edited:
This is the one eye rolling suggestion that gets brought up this time of year like clockwork.

In our game the goal posts are fundamentally there to act as an indicator of score, not a barrier like soccer. Everything between the goalside edge of the post through the inside edge of the behind post is a behind. Would be nice to have lasers as a goal posts, but until then we have no choice but for it to be a physical object. The only time a barrier to goal is adequate is when everywhere else outside of that barrier doesn't count as anything, which is not the case in footy.

The above is also why 'play on if it hits the post and comes back into play' does not make sense. You can't create a situation where a bad kick straight through the behinds is rewarded with 1 point, and then proceed to give a better kick which hits the goal post and back into play 0. Imagine that to win it after the siren. It would basically reward poorer kicks.
But that 'better kick' is rewarded with another opportunity to kick a goal.

But that 'better kick' is rewarded with another opportunity to kick a goal.
Not if it's after the siren.

Plus your suggestion only makes sense to those who casually see a behind as a failed score, when really you are still being rewarded with a score, just a lesser one.

And funnily enough a behind also gives the ball back to the opponent on their complete defensive end of the ground - provides an opportunity for you to win the ball back before the ball even reaches the middle of the ground which is where a goal would reset. I'd argue a potential 7 point play is even more valuable than your suggested back into play opportunity.

Last edited:
Two goal celebration-related beefs of mine:

1. I hate pre-meditated goal celebrations. Players having a signature celebration, or emulating some international athlete's signature celebration.

2. I hate when players turn to the crowd to celebrate after they've kicked a goal, rather than their teammates.

Two goal celebration-related beefs of mine:

1. I hate pre-meditated goal celebrations. Players having a signature celebration, or emulating some international athlete's signature celebration.

2. I hate when players turn to the crowd to celebrate after they've kicked a goal, rather than their teammates.
If they're running into goal I don't mind it because the crowd is right in their face and they're feeding off all that energy.

I like the song Sweet Caroline. And if us AFL supporters weren't so lazy, judgemental and conservative we could make it a really cool thing like the Poms have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VFL needs to accept that it is now just a de facto reserves competition, with a couple of standalone sides thrown in... and schedule like it.
  • Play as many games as the AFL teams (after this round, they'll have played 2 to the AFL's 4)
  • Play at roughly the same time or after the AFL team (so carryover players don't miss out on a game)
  • Mimic the AFL fixture with curtain raisers where possible (i.e. games at Brisbane, Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Geelong)
I'm sorry for those who grew up loving the old VFA, but she's dead, Fred.

Up till now, noting that mills parker and adams was mostly out.. we have a bottom 4 midfield group in the comp

Not bottom for talent or skill. But Our setups and synergy are so bad? Whoever is midfield coach needs to take a good look at what theyre coaching during the bye

Problems papered over by Heeneys unreal performance

Sweet Caroline is the epitome of lazy. Could not pick a more overplayed song.
Dunno if I'm just living on Mars but the first time I ever heard the song was when I went to the SCG for the first time in 2015. And even then I didn't start noticing it until swans supporters on this board started whining about it. Then when England reached the Euro final I really started noticing it. So not sure how you came to the conclusion it's overplayed. Maybe recently?

Something about the tall poppy syndrome and the stick in the mud attitude of some Australians really pisses me off (I catch myself being that way too, so I'm a hypocrite). We could have embraced it and made it out own like the English, but nope, we just like to hate on everything instead.

Dunno if I'm just living on Mars but the first time I ever heard the song was when I went to the SCG for the first time in 2015. And even then I didn't start noticing it until swans supporters on this board started whining about it. Then when England reached the Euro final I really started noticing it. So not sure how you came to the conclusion it's overplayed. Maybe recently?

Something about the tall poppy syndrome and the stick in the mud attitude of some Australians really pisses me off (I catch myself being that way too, so I'm a hypocrite). We could have embraced it and made it out own like the English, but nope, we just like to hate on everything instead.
The novelty started around then. It's not that its a s**t song, but If you get out and about you'll realise that song along with Horses by Darryl Braithwaite has become a craze at karaoke, weddings, pubs, clubs, bonfires, and now even an eye rolling beer ad where it's played from start to finish (ironically sung in the exact group setting in which it is overplayed). It simply isn't original, when you try to latch onto a novelty song in an attempt to be unique it's pretty normal for people to eventually have a ho-hum attitude towards it. Other clubs have tried to adopt 'never walk alone' and it's just lame when it's not liverpool. I can see how people who only hear it when taking their grandkids to the scg get real into it and confused as to why others aren't. You're very mistaken if you think its a Sydney swans thing or could ever be, bit late onto that bus.

When you hear drunk group after drunk group belting it out it just gets lame. Equivalent to your mate trying to act cool around your missus, or clapping at the end of a movie, or repeating the punch line of a joke the second time, or your mate trying to act cool around your missus, or clapping at the end of a movie ;). It's more of a reflection of by whom and where the song is belted out rather than the song itself.

I'd say it's more so 'short poppy syndrome'. Short poppy syndrome is completely warranted imo lol

Last edited:
My unpopular opinion: Buddy Franklin should have signed to play for GWS instead of the Swans, and we shouldn’t have signed Kurt Tippett in 2013 also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back