Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I kinda like this post even though a disagree a little with a little bit of it.
I sort of like the last line too.
We have contended and finished 2nd a few times and been close a few other times. That is not disgraceful. We give it a crack. That is all you can ask. As a supporter the Swans fill you with hope mostly. Not many sides can say that.

Umpires do their best at a difficult job. They are not biased against the Swans. (Ducking for cover.)

Horse is a very good coach. One of the best in the league. Reading criticism of him is tiresome and boring.

Posters on this board should be limited to repeating their opinions on a given topic to a finite number of times (say 10?).*

Libba is a good player.

Ginnivan is fun to watch.

I was happy to like Collingwood for a little while after Three Chins departed and Fly arrived, but I am tiring of it quickly as they are being more hyped and lauded than they deserve. (OK, that probably doesn't qualify as an unpopular opinion. A bit like appreciating that Toby Greene is an excellent player.)

Hinkley is a good coach. (Premierships are hard to win. Especially for non-Vic teams.)

Justin Longmuir is a good coach. So is Adam Simpson.

James Rowbottom is a better footy player than Gussy Sheldrick. (Even if a majority might agree this is currently true, it's still not a popular opinion.) If Sheldrick ever gets to Rowy's current level, he'll be doing well. (I am backing Sheldrick in.)

Peter Ladhams is underrated.

Our club has too little diversity in its playing group and at board level.

It's okay that we haven't won a flag since 2012. Disappointing, but ok.

* Personally, I never want to read again that Sam Reid let the whole universe down by agreeing to play in the 2022 GF - a sentiment I've read roughly 29837493743987397 times.
We are now 12 years into a premiership drought. We have lost Grand Finals in 2014 (badly), 2016 (robbed but still lost), and 2022 (very badly). Just to remind people that we won the premiership in 1933 and then lost Grand Finals in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1945, 1996 before winning in 2005 after a 72 year period of misery. When you accept 2nd place as a good season, you accept mediocrity and are happy to be a loser. This is why it took 72 years to win a fourth premiership. It's not ok to go twelve years without a premiership. Twelve months is the only acceptable time between premierships.

1. The SCG needs a proper redevelopment including those quaint wooden cricket pavilions (as nice as they are) need to be replaced with modern stands and facilities and an expanded capacity.
2. Commentators need to stop carrying on about the playing size of the SCG. The SCG is 155m x 136m. The Gabba is 156m x 138m - only 1m longer and 2m wider. Yet we never hear commentators referring to the size of this ground.
3. The AFL set up the 2016 Grand Final for a Bulldogs win.
4. There was a VFL 'mole' on the Keep South at South committee in 1981.

And no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I do believe men went to the moon in 1969.

. The SCG needs a proper redevelopment including those quaint wooden cricket pavilions (as nice as they are) need to be replaced with modern stands and facilities and an expanded capacity.
Well that one is sure to be controversial. Worthy of debate on how it impacts the 'soul' of the SCG.

Well that one is sure to be controversial. Worthy of debate on how it impacts the 'soul' of the SCG.

Didn't impact the soul of the MCG when they knocked over the Members Stand just over 20 Years ago. Improved the stadium greatly.

However, that's not where I would start with the SCG. The O'Reilly Stand and Churchill/Brewongle Stand need updating to a modern standard first before you even consider touching the pavilions.

Apparently* there are heritage issues at the SCG that limit what can be done. It is too small for our growing Club and ordinary for watching cricket (always raining) and footy.

As mentioned before Sydney needs a large (80k) stadium with a retractable roof and so does racing. I won’t live to see it but Randwick would be ideal. Could also be used for concert venue. Giants would play there as well

Didn't impact the soul of the MCG when they knocked over the Members Stand just over 20 Years ago. Improved the stadium greatly.
MCG Old Members 2.jpg

Yeah, right. Not quite in the same ballpark in terms of architectural standard.

Sydney has lost enough gems in the name of development. The SCG stands are unique, historic and a point of difference in a world of generic stadiums.

Mostly Victorian posters on here who want them gone. The Members' Stand at the SCG is older than the pavilions at The Oval and Lords. If you want to see what updated and cutting edge can look like a few years down the track, visit Fed Square.

Apparently* there are heritage issues at the SCG that limit what can be done. It is too small for our growing Club and ordinary for watching cricket (always raining) and footy.

As mentioned before Sydney needs a large (80k) stadium with a retractable roof and so does racing. I won’t live to see it but Randwick would be ideal. Could also be used for concert venue. Giants would play there as well
When we pack out the SCG week in week out then it can be called too small. But we don't so it isnt.

Bad Boy No GIF by chelsiekenyon

Edit: The SCG (155m x 136m) is 25 square meters smaller than the MCG. (160 x 141m)

It's larger than Marvel and OHSNCUIFGKLUAF Stadium

"that's a paddlin"?

I am a big fan of Florent. I think halfback is his position. The way he weaves through traffic with ease and delivers good ball is very underrated. He plays with confidence too.

agreed ... he can take over lloyd's role, but play it with more creativity ... but that'll also be a natural part of the evolution of this squad into a multi-premiership threat
florent and blakey, rescued from having to play the more specific defensive roles required in that bad (injury-wrecked) run we endured first half last season, will scare the crap out of opposition defences
add gulden and warner, and campbell's left boot ...
kicking to mclean, mcdonald, amartey, heeney, papley et al ...
i see no downside ...
we're gonna break goalkicking records!

jackhiscockwasfast is some kind of ai-generated phenomenon, with its core knowledge derived from every post on the swans board in the history of the swans board ... don't ask me how it works, i don't understand technology ...
but jackhiscockwasfast has so much to say, on everything ... and as we respond, it feeds ...

jackhiscockwasfast is some kind of ai-generated phenomenon, with its core knowledge derived from every post on the swans board in the history of the swans board ... don't ask me how it works, i don't understand technology ...
but jackhiscockwasfast has so much to say, on everything ... and as we respond, it feeds ...
hopefully Jackhiscoxwasfast is getting smarter with every post and not on an AI beta version.

Transport. Any great sports venue has transport in and out. Randwick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Hiscox wasn’t particularly fast.

177. Our new recruits are better than existing players
178. Hope Logan has a poor start to the season so we can sign him up cheap before kicking 40 goals in the last 10 games.
179. We should also spend $10m to secure Jamarra

1. The AFL is still the VFL no matter what you call it

2. The way the rules have been rewritten makes it impossible for the Green Maggots to umpire with any consistency

3. Having said that, the umpiring is second rate for a professional comp. They need to be professional & the Umpiring Coach needs to be Full Time

4. The aim of any footy team should be to win a premiership not to just make finals

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

McDonald isn't great at contested marks. Gets outmuscled, having someone like Reid or McLean as the spearhead makes a lot more sense.

McDonald may put on a bit of bulk but unlikely to be the premiership spearhead just yet
He's a different type of player. Why do people expect their FF to be a marking beast? He needn't be. He can be a lead up & back forward. I think he will kick plenty this year. Amartey too. They really looked good in tandem with McLean, GHD barking beast

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great player and a legend of Australian sport obviously, but overall I didn't really like Buddy Franklin. He wouldn't even crack my top 50 favourite Swans players.

Edit: Just went over every player we've had from the time I could reasonably remember footy and no, Buddy does not make my top 50 favourite Swans players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back