What does this all mean for the Libs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Labor have three big problems;

-People aren't listening anymore/they can't effectively communicate policy.
-4 or so million voters in NSW looking to take out 16 years of pent up frustration on the ALP.
-Facing decimation in Queensland and WA.

Gillard probably solves the first, as she's a far better communicator than Kev (and the media seems to hav a soft spot for her), but does little about the other two.

The trick for the Libs will be getting the BER stuff to resonate outside the daily readership of the Oz. You might even see them going back to the stuff they used against Evatt (IIRC?) in terms of playing up the role of the factional boogeymen as well.

Gillard would be a disaster for Abbott.

1. She's smarter than him. But so is Rudd, so that in itself is not the be-all and end-all, especially given the stupidity of the average voter. However,
2. He fancies her, and
3. If he attacks her it will remind everyone what a caveman he is.

I will be thrilled to be rid of Rudd the phoney but if Tony Abbott ever gets the reins I'm moving to NZ.

Terrible for the Coalition. Rudd was the best asset they had and now he's going.

Gillard just performs so well in public (hell, even I like her) that it would be hard for any sort of attack to stick to her.

Am praying for Rudd to remain but alas its just not going to happen. Hats off to the ALP for having the balls to pull the move. It had to be done from their point of view.

Terrible for the Coalition. Rudd was the best asset they had and now he's going.

True. Abbott didn't really have to defeat Rudd in the election - it seems Rudd was going all out to lose it with his stupid mining policy. Gillard only has to dump the RSPT and not do anything incredibly stupid between now and polling day.

I wonder whether Rudd and Gillard did a backroom deal for him to take a dive and her to take over.

If the wet lettuce leaf that Tony Jones is weilding tonight on AWU guy and Garrett is anything to go on this will probably be a positive for the ALP.

Pathetic effort in my opinion. In a time of high public interest and ALP turmoil he basically let the party have a 30 minute propopoganda opportunity.

Its your abc (As long as you live in fitzroy glebe padington, drink lattes and are rusted on ALP supporter)

They will 'negotiate' the mining tax, but obviously not with Forrest, who might as well be a lib MP

My big question is how low will the libs and the murdoch media atoop to fling mud at Julia ?

They will 'negotiate' the mining tax, but obviously not with Forrest, who might as well be a lib MP

My big question is how low will the libs and the murdoch media atoop to fling mud at Julia ?

The mining tax will go I would think for the time being anyway

Rudd played it really interestingly, didn't he.

He basically said if the the caucus vote for me they are voting for a continued fight on AGW via the ETS, keeping the mining tax, assylum seeker policy etc. If they vote for Julia it is a move to the right and backflip for all we have stood for - a vote for Abbott, so to speak.Even though she is from the left.

It was a clever move really in order to save his own skin at best, at worst, his reputation.

Intruiging how it will play out the next few days.

PS "En...ger....land"

Commentators and journos seemed to have missed the most significant lines in Rudd's speech:

...this party and government will not be lurching to the right on the question of asylum-seekers as some have counselled us to do.

and

Also, on the question of climate change, we'll be moving to a timetable on emissions trading which is of the government's decision, contray to the views of some in terms of when that best occurs.

Watch the video and you will see the emphasis Rudd put on those words.

Believe you me, he is alleging that Gillard on behalf of right wing party bosses has been arguing in the Gang of 4 for tougher line on asylum seekers and against going on the ETS.

Dis is gonna get dirty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Initial bump in the polls for labour with gillard. However, her membership in the "gang of four" will be used against her. The coalition have the pr ammo to dampen her popularity. But can they shoot straight?

The abc act like a quasi-faction of the alp. The whole news organization needs a good clean up to flush out the yellow journalists. Jones is a poor journalist.

Spot on.

Make no mistake about it - it was no coincidence that the ABC ran an Australian Story propaganda piece on Gillard earlier this week. They are a quasi faction of the left wing of the Labor Party.

It is an absolute joke.

I dont even like Rudd, but the ABC was effectively doing Gillard's bidding for her.

If the wet lettuce leaf that Tony Jones is weilding tonight on AWU guy and Garrett is anything to go on this will probably be a positive for the ALP.

Pathetic effort in my opinion. In a time of high public interest and ALP turmoil he basically let the party have a 30 minute propopoganda opportunity.

I had to walk out of the room. Workchoices/Tony Abbott, Workchoices/Tony Abbott, Workchoices/Tony Abbott, Workchoices/Tony Abbott, Workchoices/Tony Abbott...was basically all he said for 15 minutes, was wondering when Jones was going to cut him off and actually answer one of the direct questions or take some responsibility, but that just didn't happen.

The Libs are stuffed for the next election now really. In terms of communication Gillard is far superior to Rudd, and she will be able to sell a watered down version of the RSPT to the electorate as well as a more immediate stance on climate change, with both of those issues being enough to see the ALP over the line without too much hassle. Also the ALP will promote themselves as more of a team rather than the 'lets blindly support the leader' approach with Kevin07. Remember that Abbott as a leader was always more unelectable then Rudd as well.

Funny, the un-electable Tony Abbott was the reason that Labor now have a new leader! :thumbsu:
While Abbott can take some credit he was helped by the fact Rudd shot himself in both feet several times.

Abbott better get down on his knees and strat praying the election is not a rout:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back