Wikileaks founder and good North man Julian Assange

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway good on Julian. I support what this guy does.

if anybody here likes a good political movie, go and check out Fair Game.

Centres on the outing of a CIA spy who gets blown by her own government after her politician husband blows the whistle on the US motives for the invasion of Iraq.

Centres on the outing of a CIA spy who gets blown by her own government after her politician husband blows the whistle on the US motives for the invasion of Iraq.

Valerie Plame.

Would totes do her.

Was Bill Clinton involved?

Sorry, but maybe the "Left" in "SweetLeftFoot" ought to be in capitals, because only the loopy left could seriously defend this man's actions.

He's self-important, a liar, and even a hypocrite, who has a lot of blood on his hands. And, to borrow a quote from the UK Guardian, "the sanctimonious piety of the man is sickening."

"I hold it certain that to open the doors of truth and to fortify
the habit of testing everything by reason are the most effectual
manacles we can rivet on the hands of our successors to prevent
their manacling the people with their own consent.
" --Thomas
Jefferson to John Tyler, 1804.

It looks as though Assange has more in common with the framers of the U.S. constitution than the tyrannical usurpers that look to that great document for their own charter.

Assange is a hero, only a slave would think otherwise.

Can't disagree in any way with the intent of Wikileaks, as with any act there are often unintended and unfortunate side affects. I do find it fairly hypocritical that one of the main arguments against these leaks is that it endangers personnell in the field - I would have thought that the military was all over the concept of collateral damage... I guess that only applies to civilians who have an unexpected 500lb explosive paperweight drop on their heads.. I also find it incredibly dissapointing and in no small way horrifying just how extreme the response from some incredibly mainstream elements of the US.

Honestly, a society that posits assassination as a possibility as a response for printing the truth has serious question marks over it. Treason even? Really? I tend to believe that the embarrassment factor and / or potential questions of whether laws have been broken are the biggest issues for those exposed.

Wouldn't a 'good North man' buy his own membership though?

without having thoroughly thought through the implications of what he's done i do hope the charges against him in sweden prove to be baseless.

that's he's a north supporter is ace! he's quite the international man of mystery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quoting Andrew Bolt doesn't do your argument any favours. To borrow a quote from you "the sanctimonious piety of the man is sickening."

If I had the time, or the motivation, I'd provide a veritable truck-load of alternative links for you, but actually, I doubt it would convince you.

But, seeing as you raised it, why does quoting Andrew Bolt do my argument no favours? Give me facts!

"I hold it certain that to open the doors of truth and to fortify
the habit of testing everything by reason are the most effectual
manacles we can rivet on the hands of our successors to prevent
their manacling the people with their own consent.
" --Thomas
Jefferson to John Tyler, 1804.

It looks as though Assange has more in common with the framers of the U.S. constitution than the tyrannical usurpers that look to that great document for their own charter.

Assange is a hero, only a slave would think otherwise.

Nonsense. Assange's actions are not in any way justified on the basis that his leaks are "the truth." Media organisations worldwide withhold information from the public on a daily basis for the greater good - and there's no USA oil/racist/power conspiracy there! To suggest that the public has some right to "the truth" at all levels is disingenuous and naive.

Besides, there's no guarantee that these leaks are accurate in their entirety, anyway. Whilst I suspect that they are largely genuine, they are of questionable provenance, and could easily have been edited.

A hero? Pfffft! To whom? To the Afghan collaborators whose personal details have been revealed to the Taliban, and whose family's lives are now in serious danger (some are said to already be dead)? To the more than thousand now dead in Kenya following violent uprisings caused by, as claimed by Assange himself, a Wikileaks disclosure?

He's hardly the image of a hero, as he hides away, avoiding the authorities, and refusing to answer serious charges, while good men and women - who genuinely ARE trying to make the world a better place - are exposed to much greater danger, thanks to his "heroics."

No, the truth is that Assange is a hero to his fellow Anti-American, activist comrades. And maybe the misguided and ill-informed.

But, seeing as you raised it, why does quoting Andrew Bolt do my argument no favours? Give me facts!

Wasting your time. If we disassembled the straw men that Bolt erects in a minute of verbiage, we'd have enough hay to feed all the horses in the world for a year.

Seriously though, you cant expect a decent reply when you quote Bolt. He is pure partisan, deliberately provocative, and just plain manipulative. I wouldn't expect a decent reply from you if I quoted Marr. Fair is fair.

If I had the time, or the motivation, I'd provide a veritable truck-load of alternative links for you, but actually, I doubt it would convince you.

Nonsense. Assange's actions are not in any way justified on the basis that his leaks are "the truth." Media organisations worldwide withhold information from the public on a daily basis for the greater good - and there's no USA oil/racist/power conspiracy there! To suggest that the public has some right to "the truth" at all levels is disingenuous and naive.

Besides, there's no guarantee that these leaks are accurate in their entirety, anyway. Whilst I suspect that they are largely genuine, they are of questionable provenance, and could easily have been edited.

A hero? Pfffft! To whom? To the Afghan collaborators whose personal details have been revealed to the Taliban, and whose family's lives are now in serious danger (some are said to already be dead)? To the more than thousand now dead in Kenya following violent uprisings caused by, as claimed by Assange himself, a Wikileaks disclosure?

He's hardly the image of a hero, as he hides away, avoiding the authorities, and refusing to answer serious charges, while good men and women - who genuinely ARE trying to make the world a better place - are exposed to much greater danger, thanks to his "heroics."

No, the truth is that Assange is a hero to his fellow Anti-American, activist comrades. And maybe the misguided and ill-informed.

You are a joke. Google Holodomor + New York Times if you want to see a great example of media outlets withholding information "for the public good".

Anybody who puts the lives of honest, righteous, and almost certainly innocent Afghani people in serious jeopardy (or worse) should go to jail. Okay, that's taken care of federal cabinet, now to take over the nation.

You are a joke. Google Holodomor + New York Times if you want to see a great example of media outlets withholding information "for the public good".

*Sigh*

You call me a joke??

Thanks for the attempt at a history lesson, but if you are trying to tell me that 1930s Soviet propoganda, aided by a small number of western-journalist sympathisers, is the same as the media not reporting some matters "for the greater good" - so as not to cause mass panic, or jeopardise police investigations, for example - then I'm afraid that it is you who is requiring some lessons.

Peddling lies or disinformation, is not the same as the responsible withholding of information.

But thanks for playing. Now off you go.

Anybody who puts the lives of honest, righteous, and almost certainly innocent Afghani people in serious jeopardy (or worse) should go to jail. Okay, that's taken care of federal cabinet, now to take over the nation.

Best chuckle I've had today since a radio talkback segment where callers were asked what they would give Julia Gillard for Christmas.

Best answer: "A hysterectomy."

*Sigh*

You call me a joke??

Thanks for the attempt at a history lesson, but if you are trying to tell me that 1930s Soviet propoganda, aided by a small number of western-journalist sympathisers, is the same as the media not reporting some matters "for the greater good" - so as not to cause mass panic, or jeopardise police investigations, for example - then I'm afraid that it is you who is requiring some lessons.

Peddling lies or disinformation, is not the same as the responsible withholding of information.

But thanks for playing. Now off you go.

Quality posting NMLB:thumbsu:

*Sigh*

You call me a joke??

Peddling lies or disinformation, is not the same as the responsible withholding of information....blah, blah, blah, crap, crap,crap.........

I'll decide for myself whether or not I can handle the truth thanks.

I don't need some pack of self interested cronies to decide that for me.

Just because you prefer to live the life of a frightened gullible soul, it doesn't give you the right to foist that liability on others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back