North V Geelong Pre Game Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay.

We managed to scrape over the line against the new franchise, so on to bigger things and a chance to wipe out the hit of that 2 point loss to Essendon. After the nothingness of anticipation for last weeks game there is already some excitement, as always, about the chance to take on the best.

So, how do we beat Geelong and what changes to both personell and game plan do we need to implement this week to make it happen. Brad, if you're reading this I'd probably prefer you didn't answer.

Bartel, Selwood, Chapman and Hawkins need to have a shite game. I like the optimism around here but really we are a middle team that hasn't proven anything yet, up against last years Premiers. The only advantage we have is the change of venue and even then, Geelong play good footy at the dome.

A competitive showing is what I wanna see at least.

We are moving the ball much better s.....

Will it hold up under increased pressure?

Yes: we win

No: we lose

Hope everyone is cool with my thread on the main board... I feel this Is our best chance in a long time against a top side. Understandably no one gives us a chance, except us and Danny frawly ( whom I don't rate at all)

Only one way to find out...............

I'm not optimistic.

We look very ordinary when our structure breaks down.

Even GWS were able to pile on goals in quick succession.

I can't see us winning this. I'm as optimistic as anyone but it's Geelong for Jack's sake.

An unexpected win aside, I hope that we can compete with them in the middle for long periods of the game, score consistently through the match without extended 'dry spells', hold our system(s) under pressure and consistently assert a lot of pressure on the ball carrier.

Great test for our boys.

I'm not optimistic.

We look very ordinary when our structure breaks down.

Even GWS were able to pile on goals in quick succession.

I put that down to a lack of concentration against GWS rather than structure. They did it to Sydney, to a lesser degree, in rd 1 as well. They'll have a 15 minute spell where they "win" every week.

We lost rd 1 in our 15 min "nap" time as well. Our structure was ok, we lost our intencity for a period...again.

The only way we can beat Geelong is if we are on for the full game. No concentration lapses. They put us away in 15 mins at KP last season.

Regardless of the end result, three things I want to see from the boys this week:

1. Run out into the ground with a belief that you can win - this has been non existent against both Geelong and Collingwood in the past 2 years

2. Attack each contested situation like your lives depend on it (**** I'd be tempted to bring Levi in this week)- we haven't had the contested ball and spread mix right yet this year

3. Believe in your game plan and stick to it

If we do this, the results will take care of themselves and teams like Geelong will be on notice. If we fall short, we'll get swatted away like flies again.

Hansen gets Hawkins, Thompson gets Podsiadly, Drew plays true CHF and H parks himself deep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we turn the ball over as much as we usually do, then we will get smashed again.

Geelong don't turn the ball over to us, so we wont get the same get-out-of-jails that we do against other teams.

No hospital hand passes!

We need to beat either one of the following 3 in the coming weeks: Geel, Syd or WC. Realistically Syd is probably our best chance but any one will do. Two would be awesome. We need to start beating sides that will be playing finals. No point scraping into the 8 having only beaten teams below us IMO. At least then we can go into a final with some degree of confidence having beaten the team we are playing before or at least testing them.

I'd love a win, but reality suggests that probably wont happen. A loss by under 4 goals would be a good result for mine, and be competitive in clearances/contested possessions.

If its over 10 goals I will be shattered - will show we haven't improved at all especially with Geel having a tough game/shorter week (and without Scarlett).

It would be nice if the players or officials didnt provide any verbal ammunition pre-match either. No 'respect' no 'good test as to where we are at' no 'beat a genuine top 4 side' etc etc

It would be nice if the players or officials didnt provide any verbal ammunition pre-match either. No 'respect' no 'good test as to where we are at' no 'beat a genuine top 4 side' etc etc

Strongly agree big fella.

We are beyond talk now.

For us to win,

anthony,atley, harper,macmillan, mullet need to be at the least serviceable.

azza needs a nice bag along with drew

basti and adams need to maintain their output

WE MUST PLAY FOUR EVEN QUARTERS OF FOOTBALL

this will be the test of the goldy/hamish theory, if it can't work against a team like this it will not work PERIOD.:footy:

It's pretty simple.

Run like there is no tomorrow
Move the ball quickly
Hit targets
Tackle hard
Reduce turnovers

The challenge is putting it together for four quarters.

I just wanna see us try and stay focused and stick to our game for 4 quarters, no matter if we're down, up or getting flogged. Just an intensity and desire to play our game and **** everything else.

Goldy needs to return to form this week if we're any chance, if we don't at least break even in the middle we're no chance. On the other hand we're a massive show if we can win the clearances, it's been the missing ingredient in our game plan this year. Our spread has improved tenfold.. our main problem v the Cats last year was the 2nd or 3rd handball, we simply had no runners to continually move the ball out to and too often were caught or we were giving it to a flat footed player.

It's going to click soon, I can feel it.. may or may not be this week.

Goldy needs to return to form this week if we're any chance, if we don't at least break even in the middle we're no chance. On the other hand we're a massive show if we can win the clearances, it's been the missing ingredient in our game plan this year. Our spread has improved tenfold.. our main problem v the Cats last year was the 2nd or 3rd handball, we simply had no runners to continually move the ball out to and too often were caught or we were giving it to a flat footed player.

It's going to click soon, I can feel it.. may or may not be this week.
Thats my take as well.

If we dont win the clearances we will go into our shells and start second guessing.

Thats when it will get ugly.

If we are serious Goldy should Ruck for 80%+ of the game to give us every chance at the stoppages, he was a dynamo against Geelong last year, one of his best games if I recall. Of course this wont happen, and any advantage we might have will be wasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back