Classic Fitzroy matches!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
As Fitzroy departed in 1996 I only got to see them play live in a handful of games. The first game I saw them play was actually the first game I ever travelled to Melbourne to see and that was 1992, Round 2 Fitzroy Vs Essendon and it was the first official opening of the Great Southern Stand. I remember the game because Fitzroy lead by around 100 points at three quarter time I think and then Essendon kicked 11 goals in the final term to "only" lose by 50 points. It was a weird old game that one!!

But unfortunatley as the years went on they became less and less of a contest didn't they. But it is good to see them have some sort of "After-life" in the Brisbane Lions.

If anyone can recall any great Roy moments please share......

My memories starting to go but as a little Royboy, I loved the 1916 premiership. From 'spooners to the flag in only three games

(If he'd been around, I'm sure Eddie would have complained about that one!)

The win by the Reds over Ormond in the final this year was one of the best wins I have seen by a "Fitzroy Jumper", but the win over the Eagles in Perth was a cracker. Early/ mid 90s ?

Oliver Slabovic said:
For sheer 'We won. Let's go ape********!!! WOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!' value I can't go past the 86 Elimination.

There was a guy ringing up Francis Leech on SEN a few weeks back, that reckoned he and his mates were at Vic Park to watch the Lions play the Pies in the last H&A game of 1986.

To recount his story from my memory...

"We were up by a goal or so up with about 10 minutes to play, needing to win to play finals, when the ball sliced into the crowd for a point at the river end. My mate caught it, but tossed back his dog-arsed, old, dark-brown Sherrin that we'd kick around the streets.

Shane Morwood grabbed it and looked at it slightly confused as he hurried back to take his kick. Not knowing what to do, he sorta shrugged slightly and proceed to shank a mongrel punt into the pocket and out.

They played the game out with that footy and the Roys held on. After the game, my mate went around to the umpy's room and knocked on the door and asked for his footy back. The Umpy's said, rubbish, but he pointed out his name written on the top, and they shrugged and said fair enough.

The next week we saw Mickey sink the bombers in the rain with the last kick and then they beat the Swans the next week"

Frances was pi55ing himself (must admit I was too). Can't confirm if that was true, but he swears that if you get the video of that game you can see the ball changes color after that point. I'd love to know if anyone can confirm this story.

we played the Swans in Rnd 22 at Vic Park, then Essendon in the Elim - might have been Tony Morwood for the Swans but couldn't have been versus the Pies.

MaroonBoy said:
My memories starting to go but as a little Royboy, I loved the 1916 premiership. From 'spooners to the flag in only three games

(If he'd been around, I'm sure Eddie would have complained about that one!)
Im sure its still on his agenda, just give it a couple years.

As for games, I can never go past Adelaide 95. I sat their in disbelief in front of the old telly. Maybe the boys had some crack or roids at 3qtr time?

xplo said:
There was a guy ringing up Francis Leech on SEN a few weeks back...
I have seen people throw their own footy back onto the field, but can't remember one being used.

Fitzroy did beat Collingwood at Vic Park in round 22 of 1981, which we needed to do to make the finals. We then went on to defeat Essendon in the Elimination Final the following week. That wouldn't explain what Shane Morwood was doing there though. He was still with Sth Melb in 1981.

Im going back maybe to early 70s. At the Junction oval the day the fog rolled in off the bay in the last quarter. You couldnt see more than 50 yards. The umpire had to run the length of the field to signal to the other goal umpire a goal had been scored before he could bounce the ball.

Im thinking it was against Carlton as that why I would have been there and im not 100% but I think the Blues won in a close one.

Rednecknow said:
Im going back maybe to early 70s. At the Junction oval the day the fog rolled in off the bay in the last quarter. You couldnt see more than 50 yards. The umpire had to run the length of the field to signal to the other goal umpire a goal had been scored before he could bounce the ball.

Im thinking it was against Carlton as that why I would have been there and im not 100% but I think the Blues won in a close one.

was just speaking to an old roy fan about this last week. muzza kicked a goal from the back pocket - may well have run the length of the field with the ball up his jumper so no one new where it was...

The fog game was in Round 21 of 1971 & Fitzroy beat Carlton by 23 points, to keep Carlton out of the Final Four. Fitzroy won 6 of the last 7 games that season to finish 6th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fat Pizza said:
The fog game was in Round 21 of 1971 & Fitzroy beat Carlton by 23 points, to keep Carlton out of the Final Four. Fitzroy won 6 of the last 7 games that season to finish 6th.

Wow I remember that part too, Carlton missing the finals because of a loss to Fitzroy last game of year, didnt know it was the same game though. Good stuff, thanks.

adey115 said:
we played the Swans in Rnd 22 at Vic Park, then Essendon in the Elim - might have been Tony Morwood for the Swans but couldn't have been versus the Pies.

That's not beyond belief.

I was driving as he told the story and hearing that it was at Vic Park, it wouldn't have been hard for me to assume it was Shane rather than Tony or Paul Morwood he was talking about.

Mobbenfuhrer said:
Hey, at least we barracked for them when they were around. What's your excuse for dropping by? :D

I wouldn't worry too much about him. Just trolling and obviously a class act if he's from Wallan ;) , even if he does live on a golf course!

2 games stick out in my mind as classics were both in 89 agianst Melb at optus oval being down by 4-5 goals at half time and storming home in the last half to win with Osbourne kicking 11 goals and the other game was agianst Geelong at optus when we were 5 goals down at 3/4 time and came back to win with a Kevin Caton point just before the siren.

It was a game we lost, but I think it was 1981 qualifying final against Collingwood. I would have just turned 12.

Bernie was plucking them from everywhere. I sat up behind the most beautiful David McMahon banana kick from the point post to put us back in front. They were much rarer then - kids started practicing them from about that time - and I remember him slotting it 20 minutes into the last, and him just jogging stockily back towards the center

We basically lost it in the last couple of kicks of the day. We went off to some pub somewhere in Richmond with my Dad and his mates to commiserate and watch the replay.

I remember watching a Fitzroy bloke playing a pinball machine when his mates called him to go - he looked around and spotted me in my jumper and scarf, winked and called me to take over. I knocked it back at first but he wouldn't take no for an answer. 'Ahh.. come on matey,... Can't let it waste, eh?!'.

I just remember suddenly being accutely aware that we were all going through the same thing - that even though I didn't know the bloke from a bar of soap, there was still a bond automatically there - and the other Roys there - it never really struck me till then.

Funny the stuff that sticks with you.

docker_azza said:
Fitzroy beating us in their one and only victory in their final year. Rd 8 1996 at Whitten Oval
Fitzroy 16. 11 (107)
Fremantle 11.10 (76)

Yeah Agreed that was a classic game, the celebrations that went after it were bloody awesome a great time to be a Fitzroy supporter!!

I was on the ground that day and I remember the other trainer saying to me "run off and enjoy it, you deserve it!" Which was not the norm with opposition trainers, you used to walk off after the game whatever the result, but that day was special. Imagine what he would have gone through, being a Melbourne based Freo trainer?

Definately 92 against collingwood when Roosy snapped the winner on the final kick of the day.

Another classic was our come from behind win against the eagles in the final round of 91. West Coast on top and premiership favourites, Fitzroy on the bottom and struggling to survive, we went in remarkably at 17/1 to win the game. Ive never seen those sort of odds for a head to head game before. Anyways the second half performance was terrific, the fitzroy faithful on hand went ballistic that day.

I was at both of those games and I reckon the Collingwood one was the best ever. The ground was obviously packed for the pies clash but the weagles match saw the last of Matty Rendell and I think he kicked 4 or 5 that day. What a way to go out!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back