News Shock turns to opportunity for new Tiger Sam Lonergan

Remove this Banner Ad

The blokes a spud. Delist.

Six months ago if a bomber came here pratling on about their list and mentioned potential gun Lonergan he would have been laughed out of the joint. But now he is a Tiger, oh` its a masterstroke of brilliant recruiting.
Spud delist.

In terms of my comments about recruiting, i merely meant that it was a good sign of maturity by us to keep it on the down low.
Never said he was anything special.
He'll fill a role and that's all.
Let Cotch, Martin and Lids' be the guns in the side ;)

Six months ago if a bomber came here pratling on about their list and mentioned potential gun Lonergan he would have been laughed out of the joint. But now he is a Tiger, oh` its a masterstroke of brilliant recruiting.
Spud delist.

No one is expecting him to be a gun & No one said its a masterstroke of brilliant recruiting (and I haven't read the article, leave that for tomorrow morning) but its a strategy taken by the club that will either pay off or not, for practically nothing. I still don't get all the angst about it... In the end what ever the article portraits it's a media beat up\RFC fluff piece to keep us in the papers

Must say I was prettty indifferent when we rookied him but at least he is saying all of the appropriate things in that article...

"Richmond has done very well through the trading and drafting period. I've been very impressed with the character that they've brought to the club, along with the character that's already at the club.
"In terms of opportunity, for me it's not my No.1 goal at this stage to be looking at that sort of stuff.
"I really just want to get myself in absolute peak physical shape. Performances will come after that and whatever happens happens."

Nice to see no "I will be pushing hard for elevation and to get games" comments.
Will be important at Coburg and might just prove handy as the year progresses.

Spud delist.

it is brilliant recruiting

they have picked up a player that fills a need that they wanted for a very small cost. Brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To strengthen Coburg.

Inside mids are our biggest weakness. In a year where finals are expected not hoped for, I believe you are undervaluing what he can offer the team when and if required.

If Sam has the ability to be Tuck like in packs that may free up the likes of Foley/Cothch and others to be more outside to use there skills to hurt teams more rather than being buried under packs. I don't mind the move, I'm not throwing a huge party about it. Funny enough he is entering that 80-100 game bracket that many (with better AFL brains than myself) consider important game time that starts to show a players development. we have quite a few of those this season.

To strengthen Coburg.

i am sure they think he has a role to play in the seniors at worst imo he is a player that will be ready to go if he is needed something we struggled with last year.

when was the last time a rfc player smashed a bloke in a tackle? he's not a star but a good backup. its about time we had a harder edge and start with a killer instinct which is what lonergan has. his intent can only be a good thing even if he only trains with us and shows the way to go.

He's a quality player. Of all the cutting we did this year he was the surprising one.

It's the BigFooty way, star or spud - nothing in between. He has plenty to offer - big body, hard edge, decent disposal and straight as an arrow off field. Let's not forget he was cheap as chips as well, you gave up a rookie spot that otherwise would have gone to a highly speculative unknown - you know what you'll get out of Lonergan. I reckon he'd be a very good chance to play seniors for you guys. Would be very surprised if he isn't lining up against Carlton.

He's a quality player. Of all the cutting we did this year he was the surprising one.

It's the BigFooty way, star or spud - nothing in between. He has plenty to offer - big body, hard edge, decent disposal and straight as an arrow off field. Let's not forget he was cheap as chips as well, you gave up a rookie spot that otherwise would have gone to a highly speculative unknown - you know what you'll get out of Lonergan. I reckon he'd be a very good chance to play seniors for you guys. Would be very surprised if he isn't lining up against Carlton.

Exactly, it really is as simple as this.

i'd be surprised to see him and Foley in the same side. Buts he's sure to be the replacement to him if Foley goes down again.

Speaking of him. Does anyone know where he's at in his rehab ????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back