Mod. Notice Opposition trolls and quality of posting

Remove this Banner Ad

An Adelaide posters only trade thread isn't a bad idea.

Will float it by the team.

I think that's a very good idea - other club subforums have it, and it seems to work well as long as it is adequately enforced. As well as providing a defined space for our supporters, I think it presents an extremely easy test to weed out any opposition supporters who lack the minimal amount of intelligence and respect to follow such a simple instruction.

Obviously there is a place for legitimate opposition banter, so less rigid moderation standards are not necessarily a bad thing. However, recently I do recall a one Brisbane troll (not Duritz) who was fairly offensive, so much so that a moderator on the Brisbane board stated that if he had said the same things on their board he would have been carded.

Sounds like you want us to punish opposition posters for things they have posted about Adelaide on other BigFooty boards. Not sure I agree. Leave your baggage at the door!

Some Port fan posted something earlier today. I forget exactly what, was "low level" troll standard. He got embarrassed by macca23 and that was it. You really want these pretty harmless exchanges shut down? I'd see that as lacking spine.

See we're getting mixed messages here.

Either you allow the 'low level trolling' and accept that we are going to fight back (in which case don't complain when you end up with shitfights - it's inevitable), or you accept that low level trolling is still trolling and deal with it.

Either you allow the 'low level trolling' and accept that we are going to fight back (in which case don't complain when you end up with shitfights - it's inevitable), or you accept that low level trolling is still trolling and deal with it.
The odd banter is OK IMO - it's ongoing or full-on trolling that the Mods will be keen to deal with.

If a troll hurts your feelings then an internet forum isn't for you.

Sure, why have any rules against trolling on our board then?

Afterall, if having half of our board filled with threads like "LOL, you Camries have no draft picks", and "How s**t is the culture at the AFC?" upsets you, you're obviously just a sook.

Perhaps some of us just think that trolling a team on its own board is inappropriate and disrespectful and would like one place on this forum where we don't have to put up with the same s**t.

you Camries have no draft picks"

Not a troll, but a fact.

How s**t is the culture at the AFC?"

Certainly debatable. And we have. Many times.

Is it that people can't handle trolls, or they can't handle the truth?

I don't mind genuine knuckleheads being shown the door - but when a troll repackages the whole truth and nothing but the truth and you're sensitive to it, it says a lot.

Not a troll, but a fact.

Certainly debatable. And we have. Many times.

Is it that people can't handle trolls, or they can't handle the truth?

Would you go to the Essendon board and create a thread 'LOL, your coach got suspended'? It's true, but wouldn't you think posting that would make you a bit of an a-hole?

It's one thing to have a s**t car and you know it, it's another thing for your smug arsed neighbour to rub it in your face when he has an even worse one.

We can accept we don't have draft picks and a compromised culture - but we don't need some smug w***er to tell us the deficiencies our club faces. Especially when they have some day time TV flog acting as a chairman.

One thing that has been interesting to observe since becoming a Mod is that the ratio of people complaining in threads about troll posts compared to reported troll posts runs at about 50:1

One thing that has been interesting to observe since becoming a Mod is that the ratio of people complaining in threads about troll posts compared to reported troll posts runs at about 50:1

Because it has been made clear that the mods are cool with it. That is why more people are fighting fire with fire instead of reporting, and why as a result you're ending up with threads turning into shitfights.

Would you go to the Essendon board and create a thread 'LOL, your coach got suspended'? It's true, but wouldn't you think posting that would make you a bit of an a-hole?

It's one thing to have a s**t car and you know it, it's another thing for your smug arsed neighbour to rub it in your face when he has an even worse one.

We can accept we don't have draft picks and a compromised culture - but we don't need some smug ****** to tell us the deficiencies our club faces. Especially when they have some day time TV flog acting as a chairman.

I hear your points, boys. And I agree in principle.

But by golly there's some ugly truths about our football club.

Go read the slowdown thread on their board. They take a charitable event and they find a way of taking the piss out if us.

Bunch if muppets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it has been made clear that the mods are cool with it. That is why more people are fighting fire with fire instead of reporting, and why as a result you're ending up with threads turning into shitfights.

Not the case at all - it's been like this for as long as I can remember.

What we've said, and I feel like I'm repeating myself for the 100th time here, is that we welcome banter, but not trolling.

Banter can be fun. Whereas when a thread turns into a shitfight it's not fun at all, it's frustrating and boring.

Often, a post from an opposition supporter is intended as banter, but is met with vitriol almost immediately from Crows supporters, and the thread spirals off into oblivion. Should we infract the opposition poster for attempting some banter? I certainly don't think so.

There are no "mixed messages" here. I assure you, when an opposition supporter is legitimately trolling, we deal with it. I've handed out a fistful of infractions so far this trade period, and deleted hundreds of posts. What we don't need is this ridiculous vigilante attitude that you need to "fight fire with fire", as though Bigfooty is some kind of pathetic primary school playground. If you think an opposition poster is trolling, report the damn post and move on.

One last point - I feel much more inclined to give a troll an infraction if he's the only one making a fool out of himself.

Let me clarify this - coming on and telling us that we have a s**t culture, or incompetent administrators, or no draft picks, or any other things which it could be argued might be true, is still trolling. The fact that it might be true doesn't change that, just like it would be trolling to go onto North Melbourne's board and tell them they're broke, or Brisbane's board and tell them their players are fleeing like rats, or Essendon's board and tell them they are drug cheats. It's unnecessary and clearly done to provoke a reaction and nothing more. When it occurs on our board it is dealt with and infractions are handed out as necessary.

There is a huge difference between that, and a poster legitimately asking what we intend to offer up for Polec. Mentioning our lack of draft picks is not trolling. Making it the primary purpose of your post is, regardless of whether it is done overtly or subtly.

Again, when it happens, report it and move on. The more you guys engage it, the more it will keep happening.

Edit: While I'm at it, I also have an issue with Crows supporters "calling out" opposition supporters who are on here and discussing things in a perfectly reasonable way. Just because someone is a Port supporter posting on our forum, is no reason to act like Bay 13-lite and start pre-emptively trolling them. Often this happens, the opposition poster reacts in kind, and is then dogpiled, and then our own posters ask why we didn't give an infraction. The truth is, we often have given an infraction - to the first poster who initiated the problem.

Yeah I don't think so. I think the s**t fights occur because people like getting involved in shitfights.

Big difference between coming here and contributing something like "...with out draft picks you could do __________, or ____________ could be an option." and just "oh well if only you had draft picks!" or "too bad your administrators stuffed up.".

Maybe its got a bit of a pass from members in general for a while because theirs a negative feeling towards the club from our own supporters I don't know. Theirs a couple of them who are frequently reporting back on their board the results of their posts here which is stupid but I don't care what they think of us, just don't do it here.

The one that annoys me but there is probably nothing that can be done about it, and maybe no one agrees, but a few of our bigger discussions got over taken by Ports side of things like the SANFL Reserves thread, it went from being about us discussing our team to Port supporters coming over here talking to us about their plan, and then them talking to each other on here about their plan, trying to convince us or something.

Big difference between coming here and contributing something like "...with out draft picks you could do __________, or ____________ could be an option." and just "oh well if only you had draft picks!" or "too bad your administrators stuffed up.".

Exactly. Those kind of posts are only meant to stir up s**t. It isn't 'banter', it is taking something negative about the AFC and rubbing our faces in it.

There are 94 separate boards. In 93 of them you can have digs at the AFC as much as you like, is it that hard to keep it out of just one?

Man there is some poo poo being written by some.
If you disagree with a post hit the report button and let the mods deal with it.
Every year we have the same discussions about opposition supporters posting on other boards and every year the same posters take the same stance they've taken for years.
The annoying part is that every year we also have posters and in particular "new posters" that think they can shitcan opposition posters on their own board just "because".
Personally I like opposition posters posting on Port's board and in the last couple of weeks there have been some that have made some of the threads more interesting, what is not wanted by anyone is for posters doing a bay 13 on other team's board, be it under their own "name" or a brand new alias.
I repeat again, if you disagree with a post hit the report button and let the mods deal with it.

What we've said, and I feel like I'm repeating myself for the 100th time here, is that we welcome banter, but not trolling.

I'm curious as to how you would define trolling, because I think we differ a fair bit on this.

IMO, a troll post is one intended to provoke a negative reaction.

If an opposition fan is bringing up our draft sanctions (again), what would you be looking for to signal that they weren't just having a dig at us?

There are no "mixed messages" here. I assure you, when an opposition supporter is legitimately trolling, we deal with it. I've handed out a fistful of infractions so far this trade period, and deleted hundreds of posts. What we don't need is this ridiculous vigilante attitude that you need to "fight fire with fire", as though Bigfooty is some kind of pathetic primary school playground. If you think an opposition poster is trolling, report the damn post and move on.

Football evokes people's passions, they're going to defend their club when it is attacked.

If an opposition fan is bringing up our draft sanctions (again), what would you be looking for to signal that they weren't just having a dig at us?

Didn't I talk about this already? If someone is just trying to have a dig and little more, it's a pretty obvious troll. Just talking about the draft sanctions when they are relevant is not.

Football evokes people's passions, they're going to defend their club when it is attacked.

Everything evokes passions, but that isn't a free license to threadshit.

I'm curious as to how you would define trolling, because I think we differ a fair bit on this.

IMO, a troll post is one intended to provoke a negative reaction.

The trouble is that some posters see every single opposition post as a troll post, unless it's blathering praise about how awesome Rory Sloane is.

Matty Wright isn't worth the same as Robbie Gray.

TROLL!!!!! Card him Mods!!!!

Errr... how about no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back