The 'Recruit'

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you so pissed about Waylan's deficiencies? they are just as prevelant and real as the other boys. Are you upset that player X cant kick? does that make you sick? how come because Waylan doesn't have a work ethic your all over it but because someone cant kick you don't seem to care? Player X has to work on his kicking, Waylan has to work on his ethic, it's as simple as that.

Waylan has strengths and weaknesses just like all of the other boys, they are just different to any of them.
But someone with bad kicking isn't going to affect other people and bring them down. I haven't seen it in AFL, but I've been in a few bands and someone that is just negative and lazy will bring the rest of the guys down to his level and prevent any work getting done.

But someone with bad kicking isn't going to affect other people and bring them down. I haven't seen it in AFL, but I've been in a few bands and someone that is just negative and lazy will bring the rest of the guys down to his level and prevent any work getting done.

So what you are saying is that the rest of the boys are as mentally soft as Waylan? so much so that 1 x guy can bring the rest of the 12 down?

So what you are saying is that the rest of the boys are as mentally soft as Waylan? so much so that 1 x guy can bring the rest of the 12 down?
No I'm not saying that at all. You've obviously never been in an environment with that sort of person, it becomes like a poison that just seeps in and you begin to doubt yourself, and the only way that doesn't happen to you is if you are an arrogant dickhead.

Remember they're literally with him all the time. They're living in the same house.

what you see with Waylan you see a lot with Indigenous kids that come from communities far from the big smoke (remember a kid could Jarrah). I am certain AFL clubs go through everything that they are going through with Waylan. That's why he has been cut some slack. IMO opinion a tall poppy can have more of detrimental effect on a group then a guy that hasn't had to experience "hard work" and that is struggling to adapt far from what he knows. I know in my footy club if a player came in all cocky (DJ) he would be cut down and put in his place quick smart.
That's why he was in the bottom 3.

No I'm not saying that at all. You've obviously never been in an environment with that sort of person, it becomes like a poison that just seeps in and you begin to doubt yourself, and the only way that doesn't happen to you is if you are an arrogant dickhead.

Remember they're literally with him all the time. They're living in the same house.

I agree with what you are saying, I just understand the nature of these shows and I don't think it's nearly as bad as what the cameras make it out to be. Remember it is a TV show, they want ratings and they require drama. I have mates who are those sort of people, I think everyone does? and yes they are the sort that you can only hang out with sparingly because of it.

I just hope that Waylen at least continues for a while and applies himself. If he spits the dummy and quits after someone who desperately wants to be there gets booted because Waylen has more raw talent it will be a waste.
I reckon it will go to Maxwell (and i dont know anymore than watching the shows)

Maybe they should have taken Vossy's approach to him in that he is doing a lot of things that he has never done before. This isn't a work ethic thing with Waylan but a cultural thing (Not Racist) The kid is way more out of his comfort zone then any of the others. Sometimes you need to accept and evolve with the people you are with. He only doubted himself when the others started taking pot shots at him.

IMO opinion a tall poppy can have more of detrimental effect on a group then a guy that hasn't had to experience "hard work" and that is struggling to adapt far from what he knows. I know in my footy club if a player came in all cocky (DJ) he would be cut down and put in his place quick smart.
That's why he was in the bottom 3.
Not sure if he can have a MORE detrimental effect but would definitely be at least on par. DJ won't make it unless he changes his attitude quick smart, because he hasn't earned the right to have that attitude, and even if he had there's no reason to act like that.

Maybe they should have taken Vossy's approach to him in that he is doing a lot of things that he has never done before. This isn't a work ethic thing with Waylan but a cultural thing (Not Racist) The kid is way more out of his comfort zone then any of the others. Sometimes you need to accept and evolve with the people you are with. He only doubted himself when the others started taking pot shots at him.
I agree with you it is definitely a cultural thing. It's a catch 22. If you lob him in with the rest, it's not fair because he hasn't done anything like the rate your mate thing before. But if you leave him exempt from that or tell the others to go easier on him, then that gives him precedence over the others and it's an unfair advantage.

Why are you so pissed about Waylan's deficiencies? they are just as prevelant and real as the other boys. Are you upset that player X cant kick? does that make you sick? how come because Waylan doesn't have a work ethic your all over it but because someone cant kick you don't seem to care? Player X has to work on his kicking, Waylan has to work on his ethic, it's as simple as that.

Waylan has strengths and weaknesses just like all of the other boys, they are just different to any of them.

You need to have confidence in the bloke next to you when playing footy, you need to have the expectation that he will give as much as you no matter how tough the situation, unfortunately it's plainly obvious Waylan by his own admission gives up when things get tough. He is lazy, selfish and mentally fragile, he shows little enthusiasm to improve other than just finishing each challenge ( even though he is last in just about everyone of them). The guy can have all the talent in the world but he would be the LAST person anyone would want to play with if you hold true to team ethos.

So we keep Waylan for what reason?

the guys a **** wit. I guess he'd fit in well at Carlton

Pretty poor reason. He is confident in his own ability, he works his arse off and is super fit with tidy skills, he also has a good body make up for the elite level. I'm not sure why he wouldn't go far, he is one of the guys who will be every chance to win it.

Not sure if he can have a MORE detrimental effect but would definitely be at least on par. DJ won't make it unless he changes his attitude quick smart, because he hasn't earned the right to have that attitude, and even if he had there's no reason to act like that.

I agree with you it is definitely a cultural thing. It's a catch 22. If you lob him in with the rest, it's not fair because he hasn't done anything like the rate your mate thing before. But if you leave him exempt from that or tell the others to go easier on him, then that gives him precedence over the others and it's an unfair advantage.

Yeah, you're spot on. I've played with a whole bunch of indigenous guys before and all have been very different, however as you have said they have a much different back ground and it's something that on a broader scale needs to be acknowledged. However the aim of this show is to find someone who has the desire and skill set to and determination to win a show that will enable them a chance to sign an AFL contract, Waylan was a poor choice from the get go and the show would have very well known the issues they would face when selecting the cast. I think it's the producers fault in the first place, the guy has been publicly chastised and criticised from a bunch men he barely knows, it's a poor situation to put him in to begin with.

I think what we're seeing with Waylon is a pretty good example of differences between aboriginal culture and western culture. I feel for the guy because he must feel very alone in that group of guys who don't really understand him. Waylon doesn't have his support mechanism that he would normally have, which contributes to his self doubt and lack of confidence.

Certainly wouldn't be the first aboriginal to be a lazy footballer. Yeh yeh we're all thinking it.

Would be spewin if I was a half decent player and got the flick from the show before him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found the whole 'rate your mate' thing very uncomfortable. They would have known even before the start of it, that the Waylen issue would come up and that it wouldn't end well. He lives in remote community in WA and just would not have been exposed to that sort of peer critique before.
I also found Burgess' comments about weight to be a bit full on. To a layman on the street, the bloke is a healthy, fit young man.

Certainly wouldn't be the first aboriginal to be a lazy footballer. Yeh yeh we're all thinking it.

Would be spewin if I was a half decent player and got the flick from the show before him.

Think of some of the great players that had minimal talent but survived and prospered on hard work and determination

ipad-art-wide-brett-kirk-420x0.jpg

I found the whole 'rate your mate' thing very uncomfortable. They would have known even before the start of it, that the Waylen issue would come up and that it wouldn't end well. He lives in remote community in WA and just would not have been exposed to that sort of peer critique before.
I also found Burgess' comments about weight to be a bit full on. To a layman on the street, the bloke is a healthy, fit young man.

Just a question - Have you played footy?

The 'rate your mate' type of exercise is pretty common place for Suburn/Country clubs as well as Semi/Professional clubs, I doubt many blokes involved in footy clubs would find it uncomfortable. Footy clubs can be a brutally honest place, they can teach you some fantastic lessons, not only in regards to football but for life. I certainly wouldn't be able to do what I do today if I wasn't exposed to the culture and values of the football clubs I have been involved in.

The fat call from Burgess is spot on, his skinnys are deplorable.

Just a question - Have you played footy?

The 'rate your mate' type of exercise is pretty common place for Suburn/Country clubs as well as Semi/Professional clubs, I doubt many blokes involved in footy clubs would find it uncomfortable. Footy clubs can be a brutally honest place, they can teach you some fantastic lessons, not only in regards to football but for life. I certainly wouldn't be able to do what I do today if I wasn't exposed to the culture and values of the football clubs I have been involved in.

The fat call from Burgess is spot on, his skinnys are deplorable.
Played a lot of footy mate, but in my early 40s now and haven't pulled the boots on for 10 years so not recently.
I just found the rate your mate thing an excuse to get the psychologist more involved in the show.

Played a lot of footy mate, but in my early 40s now and haven't pulled the boots on for 10 years so not recently.
I just found the rate your mate thing an excuse to get the psychologist more involved in the show.

I'm 30 and gave footy away this year, I could barely get on the park last year but I was an assistant/playing coach at a divy1 club in Melbourne and we used sessions like the one last night and it was always taken well and had positive impact.

the rate your mate thing doesn't work as well at amateur level as it does at professional level. At the non professional level guys are a fair bit more tempamental and wouldn't put up with it and turn into a bitch fest or as waylan puts it a punch on. I've seen it happen and I've seen amateur clubs knock it on the head pretty quick.

I'm 30 and gave footy away this year, I could barely get on the park last year but I was an assistant/playing coach at a divy1 club in Melbourne and we used sessions like the one last night and it was always taken well and had positive impact.
fair enough. I'm obviously out of the loop, but played at a high level. I still found it uncomfortable.

Agreed, wtf is the point of her even being there? Honestly, how much time would she actually be spending with the lads? Dicko/Fitzy and the psychologist are making an extremely easy pay check.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back