Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got here.

Is this thread a rational discussion? Or just a race between a bunch of white guys on computers competing over who can be the most offended by white guys being offended over Goodes' ridiculous dance?

Let's get meta.

I think it's maybe a race between a bunch of white guys competing over who can be the most offended by white guys being offended over Goodes' ridiculous dance but then also a race between other white guys about who can get offended about the white guys getting offended by the white guys being offended over Goodes' dance and I need to lie down.

I just got here.

Is this thread a rational discussion? Or just a race between a bunch of white guys on computers competing over who can be the most offended by white guys being offended over Goodes' ridiculous dance?

Let's get meta.
Please educate us in your ways. All hail the wise and all knowing Knavey Blue.

As a number of people have pointed out, other indigenous players don't get booed. Many non indigenous players do get booed. Other indigenous people like Michael Long have contributed enormously to the indigenous community and stood up to racism without coming off as self righteous douches. Much like the Julia Gillard misogyny speech, do it once and they will applaud, keep on doing it and you just look like a whinger and a clown. If he wanted to do a tribal dance, do it in the middle of the ground. Don't provocatively advance on the spectators. If anyone else on the ground ran 25+ metres to have a go at the crowd after kicking a goal (even if he was being booed) we would call him a douche. I used to have a lot of respect for the guy, but increasingly I am over the grandstanding and moral lecturing.

on a weekend when people are meant to be coming together, he makes a stupid, selfish gesture which does nothing but separate people and push people apart.

Can only imagine that someone like Michael Long would be pretty embarrassed about this

We wouldn't even be having this discussion/debate if he'd just play the bloody game

Stupid and selfish? Did you get the meaning behind the taunt? Obviously not though. Fail of a post

They're probably not all saying 'boo', though.
Hearsay. Could say the same about every other non caucasian in the league.

He didn't say all booing of him was racially motivated.

Do I think some of the booing is not racially motivated, yes.

Do I think some is, most definately.
Hearsay. I haven't heard anyone racially abuse him. I have heard many people abuse him for being a self righteous flog though.

Having travelled to quite a few corners of the world it becomes clear Australia is unfortunately a very racist country. We are also far from the worst but we have a lot of work to do.

It's a bit unfortunately worded by the AFL - there are far more than two cultures that make up modern Australia. Indigenous culture in itself is quite diverse.

Don't confuse xenophobia with racism. And it's laughable you don't acknowledge the institutionalized racism of many countries in the world.

It was a bit of fun for christ's sake. Why are you so upset? Why can't it be a tribute/wardance/celebration/stickthatupya all at the same time without people going off the deep end?

It was a bit of fun...
Ah, well let's see, Hawks supporters boo Adam Goodes.. we are racist... Adam Goodes enacts a war cry against opposition supporters.. Nope nothing to see here move along, move along...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't say all booing of him was racially motivated.

Do I think some of the booing is not racially motivated, yes.

Do I think some is, most definately.
Booing is mostly racially motivated. Hardly booed before Collingwood and Triple Chins McGuire. Since then he's been labelled a flog, diver, stager, dirty campaigner, sniper and any many sorts of racist term.

I don't mind his celebration, i just think the context is wrong. If it had of been directed on field towards his opponents then i think it could be tasteful, otherwise it seems like he's lashing out at the fans and the fans aren't liable to just sit there and take it. They'll continue to boo him and he'll continue to take offense to it.

Goodes has a problem with how he's perceived by the public and it started with his on field antics, his staging and his overt portrayals of emotion that are never tempered with anything close to humility. His unnecessary Australian of the Year award didn't really help his cause either. At stages he reeks of arrogance on field and appears to take himself a little too seriously. Sure you can have passion, but if that passion isn't directed properly then people will interpret it as plain old arrogance.

Goodes comes across as a little bit narcissistic and he wouldn't be the first star to buy into their own story a little too much. I think the football public has this sense and made him a target and he doesn't at the moment seem to understand why that is the case.

Cries of racism are in a large part platitudes that distort what is really going on and are divisive attempts to highlight other social issues. Sure there would be people who might be driven by some racial prejudice but most people just have him set as the principle dick of the AFL and one that will react as predicted when toiled with.

Ah, well let's see, Hawks supporters boo Adam Goodes.. we are racist... Adam Goodes enacts a war cry against opposition supporters.. Nope nothing to see here move along, move along...
pretty sure we are having nuanced convo here. Join in if u want.

Don't confuse xenophobia with racism. And it's laughable you don't acknowledge the institutionalized racism of many countries in the world.
Does this post acknowledge the institutionalized racism of many countries in the world?

All I've heard is about the dance and is it cool to do it. If Buddy did it we would be having the same chat.
He deliberately did it to provoke reactions from the Carlton fans who booed him earlier in the game from that section of the ground

So, what is it? Inciting behaviour, or intimidating? Because I'm pretty sure if I was intimidated, that'd probably mean I'd just sit down in my seat and shut up. Or you're just changing it as you go along to suit?
intimidation can lead to inciting a crowd, it would depend on how the crowd reacts...

Do we know why exactly the Hawks fan got kicked out? It was apparently for reacting to Goodes' little dance.
If it was just insulting him, not racially, then it is a disgrace.

The constant outrage and claiming that everything is racist is getting quite tiresome.

Hearsay. I haven't heard anyone racially abuse him. I have heard many people abuse him for being a self righteous flog though.

He can obviously differentiate between say the booing Watson copped last year compared to the booing Goodes to determine the racial aspect to it. That's a impressive skill they have

All I've heard is about the dance and is it cool to do it. If Buddy did it we would be having the same chat.

If Buddy kicked a goal from 70 out and performed a dance that didn't involve running towards opposition supporters (as in the closet section of the ground) then no we wouldn't be seeing any threads about it, the goal would be the main talking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back