Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow's headline;
Indigenous man does indigenous dance in indigenous round.
Now that is genius
gifbook-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Nice to see you were too superficial to read past the first sentence of my post- like a true social justice warrior, through and through!

I hate true social justice warriors too. Always seeking social justice. With their fairness. Well you can shove your fairness right up you while you rub the Saturday Paper on your nipples in the moonlight eating quinoa and sipping cultured yogurt to fight off that tape worm you got in India saving a poor kid from poverty or something. Look, if life was fair for minorities what would the point be in being part of the dominant social group?

Seems to be a lot of people who like aboriginal players provided they just play footy and never raise past injustices against aboriginal people.
People boo Adam Goodes because he is outspoken on aboriginal issues and people do not like to be made to feel responsible for what happened in the past.
Here's a tip.
Acknowledge it happened. Respect the aboriginal people as traditional custodians of this land. Stop booing Adam Goodes. You are embarassing yourselves.

this wasn't a reaction for all this comparing it to winmar. this was an inflammatory act towards carlton supporters in a round that celebrates indigenous impact on AFL. Good one dickhead.

Let's see the riewoldt boys throw ss salutes in the multicultural rounds :drunk:

I also like the fact we have more to talk about than how shit the blues are.

If anyone thinks he done his little jig to celebrate anything other than to stick it up the Carlton fans in the cheer squad, then you are kidding yourselves.

He made a beeline for them,

Why not celebrate in front of your own adoring fans ?

Because he wants to make a statement, uber flog.
The worst part was both the AFL through Pat Keane and Goodes himself confirmed that the cheersquad didn't heckle him in the lead-up to it what so ever.

He just wanted to make a "me me me" statement. Fair enough doing an Indigenous celebration during Indigenous round, have no problem with that. But why direct it at the Carlton supporters who are simply sitting there watching their team get convincingly beaten? Especially directing something as provocative as a mock spear throw towards them. Why make an effort to get right up close to a group of innocent people who are simply there to cheer their team on? I mean, it's not as if it was a close game or a final that would warrant such an outrageous and passionate celebration. Was very strange.

Guy is a douche in my opinion. And that opinion nothing to do with anything racial or otherwise - he just says and does things like this to make himself hate-able. Puts HIMSELF on the pedestal.

Last edited:
It's a striking resemblance to the Nicky Winmar tribute isn't it?

No not really.

One was an instantaneous act of defiance and one appears to be a premeditated act of up yours.

Disappointing to see that many posters still lower their colours on this topic. Yet, they will support wife beaters, sexual abusers, cheaters, thieves, drug addicts, gang members and all round scum bags, but if an indigenous person stands up for their rights, it's open season.

RandB raised a good point and it has validity but again it's taken out of context. R means recognise; recognise your heritage, represent your pride, your history, your future. It's what he did, does every day, and will do so until he's long gone. Hes been a vessel against racism, yet so many posters hate him for completely illogical and unexplainable points of views that border on, and occasionally cross over into racism.

Sometimes, you just want to have a decent topical discussion without people lowering themselves to the lowest common denominator.

Media need to beat up on someone and need some rubbish to write, so its no surprise to hear purple head and the Triple M crew beat it way out of proportion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I think I've read enough of it to get the picture now.

Raised by a single mother, who was stolen from her family. Pick #43 in national draft. Gone on to two Brownlows, two premierships, four GFs, four times AA, 444 goals, more career games than all but ten other players in the entire history of the game.

But nah. Massive flog, because Big Footy.

You do realize it's possible to be a flog and good at what you do? Plenty of American athletes prove this, most of them with harder upbringings. Anyone who doubts Goodes as a player deserves to be called a flog, you can be a good player and still be disliked. Selwood, Carey and Akermanis were/are players I didn't care for because of the way they acted, would loved to have had them in my team though. Not everyone will like everyone, we have different tastes in music, in food and in people.

Burgoyne is just as outspoken in the Aboriginal community, but doesnt make it about himself, hence is not booed. Goodes is just a ego driven human being, who thinks that it's his right to do whatever he wants to do, and if somebody stands up to him it's racism. Smh.I'm sick of this being an issue

How should he have handled it. We're they not here first?
He should've realized that a naive 13 year old girl yelling calling him an ape in the heat of a match wasn't anywhere near as harrowing as he made it out to be. Pointing the finger wasn't so much the issue (let's be honest, he's no Nicky Winmar), but continuing to victimize himself and make a big deal out of such an insignificant remark made by a kid (who wasn't even intent on being racist) in the days after came across as pathetic.

As for the Australian of the Year speech, the bile he was spewing only served to widen the divide between white people and aboriginals. Trying to reaffirm the supposed "true owners" of the land contradicts what indigenous round is all about; bringing two cultures together.

Seems to be a lot of people who like aboriginal players provided they just play footy and never raise past injustices against aboriginal people.
People boo Adam Goodes because he is outspoken on aboriginal issues and people do not like to be made to feel responsible for what happened in the past.
Here's a tip.
Acknowledge it happened. Respect the aboriginal people as traditional custodians of this land. Stop booing Adam Goodes. You are embarassing yourselves.
You're right.

My hatred for Michael Long knows no bounds. I'm going to wear my Recognise hoodie to Dreamtime at the G under my Essendon scarf, in hope the message is obscured.

I don't always agree with him, but I'm loving seeing him shove it up people who defend their bullshit with "I supported Nicky Winmar in 94". Goodes' statements are political, and they rile people up because they cross the line rather than sitting in some comfortable zone that is easy to digest for Anglos. Inequality is real, it happens all the time in this country (we all supported the Indigenous players when they protested the community closures) and the way people react to Goodes' 'provocation' is proof that it's all alive and well. They don't think that he may be more aware than them of what's going on, they just get stuck into him. He's not perfect, but what he is is a 358 game dual Brownlow winner who deserves his platform and, more importantly, some respect. Especially from those who claim to love footy.
I think you're right. Footy fans don't like it when a player stick his neck out.

381495-harry-o-039-brien.jpg

Thinks globally…

1432901618335.jpg

Acts locally...

Here's a tip.
That's just plain wrong. People boo Adam Goodes because the bloke is a douchebag. To say that he is booed due to being aboriginal show how uneducated you are. Name another aboriginal player that gets booed? How can someone be selectively racist? You can't be therefore there are other factor into why the booing occurs.

Disappointing to see that many posters still lower their colours on this topic. Yet, they will support wife beaters, sexual abusers, cheaters, thieves, drug addicts, gang members and all round scum bags, but if an indigenous person stands up for their rights, it's open season.

RandB raised a good point and it has validity but again it's taken out of context. R means recognise; recognise your heritage, represent your pride, your history, your future. It's what he did, does every day, and will do so until he's long gone. Hes been a vessel against racism, yet so many posters hate him for completely illogical and unexplainable points of views that border on, and occasionally cross over into racism.

Sometimes, you just want to have a decent topical discussion without people lowering themselves to the lowest common denominator.

Media need to beat up on someone and need some rubbish to write, so its no surprise to hear purple head and the Triple M crew beat it way out of proportion.

This is the straw man Goodes supporters always fall back on.

Which reasons are racist, illogical or inexplicable -

The diving?

The sniping?

The being the protected species?

The calling Australia racist?

Is that why he did it? They've been booing him for a while.

I imagine the booing has stuck in his craw and he thought that he could make a 'look at me' statement during indigenous round. What did it achieve except Goodes being the centre of attention yet again and inciting a brawl in the crowd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back