Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be a lot of people who like aboriginal players provided they just play footy and never raise past injustices against aboriginal people.
People boo Adam Goodes because he is outspoken on aboriginal issues and people do not like to be made to feel responsible for what happened in the past.
Here's a tip.
Acknowledge it happened. Respect the aboriginal people as traditional custodians of this land. Stop booing Adam Goodes. You are embarassing yourselves.
ever heard of the expression "get over it".

Why should past injustices be constantly raised. I have German and Japanese friends at work and I dont feel the need to constantly remind them of World War 2 and what a couple of dickheads from their homeland instigated. I dont even feel the need to raise it once per year - why would I? And of course I dont want to be feel made responsible for the stolen generation and other racist acts of the 20th century, because shock horror - I DIDNT DO THOSE ACTS!!

Acknowledge it happened? Yeah, ok, every time me and my friends are discussing the s**t things in human history ill be the first to raise the stolen generation, right after the genocide of WW2, and slavery in the US. Ill booo the s**t out of Adam Goodes because he is a massive sanctimonious tosser who is dirty on the field and is a protected species of the AFL at the tribunal.

Nice post on your alias account too btw.

Last edited:
Burgoyne is just as outspoken in the Aboriginal community, but doesnt make it about himself, hence is not booed. Goodes is just a ego driven human being, who thinks that it's his right to do whatever he wants to do, and if somebody stands up to him it's racism. Smh.I'm sick of this being an issue
He was awarded Australian of the Year for standing up against racism, bring it into the public forum and his extensive work with aboriginal communities. Certainly deserved it more than some other recipients have in recent years.

Putting Goodes a side for a moment, have we ever had a footballer call another player anything overly bad (publicly at least)
Nope but am not really basing it on that. His teammates give a good impression of genuinely liking him-Kennedy for example, after the dance. Opposition players shake his hand warmly at the end of games etc. Who knows, but he seems to be liked from my observations.

Umpires get booed for doing their job every time they step out on the field. If an aboriginal becomes an umpire can we boo them or will this be considered racist? Why is it not discriminatory to boo umpires, they are minority, just trying to earn a living? Multiple players across the league get booed every game, this is an issue because Goodes wants it to be an issue. Ird not racially involved because Hawthorn supporters don't boo Betts, Garlett, Bennell etc etc

I have forgotten his name but I recall an Aboriginal guy that was a leading umpire back in the days of suburban grounds, I image he would have copped it most weeks.

He should've realized that a naive 13 year old girl yelling calling him an ape in the heat of a match wasn't anywhere near as harrowing as he made it out to be. Pointing the finger wasn't so much the issue (he's no Nicky Winmar), but continuing to victimize himself and make a big deal out of such an insignificant remark made by a kid (who wasn't even intent on being racist) in the days after came across as pathetic.

As for the Australian of the Year speech, the bile he was spewing only served to widen the divide between white people and aboriginals. Trying to reaffirm the supposed "true owners" of the land contradicts what indigenous round is all about; bringing two cultures together.
Pretty sure he said he didn't realise she was only 13. He thought she was a young woman.

In terms of the AOTY speech, he wasn't talking about IA round. He was talking about constitutional recognition. As such he was talking about being recognised as a people in our founding document. A document that Indigneous Aussies were written out of except for predjuduce.

This is the straw man Goodes supporters always fall back on.

Which reasons are racist, illogical or inexplicable -

The diving?

The sniping?

The being the protected species?

The calling Australia racist?
You're quoting 2 acts on a football field in a career spanning almost 20 years.

Let me ask you this: What are your thoughts on Steven Baker?

What does Erin Riley have to say on the subject?

Insightful and illuminating. Certainly, all white people should live their lives hating themselves.

Have absolutely no idea who this is but it's these idiots that are so counter productive, try and accuse lots of people of being racist, when most are not. How is this going to help whatsoever?

He was awarded Australian of the Year for standing up against racism, bring it into the public forum and his extensive work with aboriginal communities. Certainly deserved it more than some other recipients have in recent years.

And there were other candidates that deserved it more than him. he portrays hes the victim in this all, when he is playing the game he loves, on big money, he should be a role model for Aboriginals to not to continue to feel victimized. Our generation is the most welcoming and equality based generations ever, but continuing to portray yourself as the victim doesn't do the culture or himself any favors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain to me how goading the crowd does anything but incite racism

Absolutely fantastic show of his heritage by Goodes. Are AFL followers that sheltered nowadays that can't cope with a player showing his feelings and is the media that bereft of real stories?

It's happened. harden up and move on.

Eh?

By saying nothing and doing nothing controversial for 15 years... and when his career draws to a close, he suddenly becomes an outspoken aboriginal activist, poses for the Sydney Morning Herald photographer like he was Nicky Winmar lifting up his jumper up…. and then a couple of days later he victimises a twelve year old girl?

Then he does a war dance on Friday night footy!!!!!!!!!! :D

So brave. So proud. So confronting.

Maybe next year after Goodesy has retired, he can get Lindsay Thomas to take over as the boss man in charge of sticking it up the racist white fellas

Rubbish. Goodes has commented on racism in sport, and more broadly about about indigenous history, on different occasions over his career. The booing actually intensified after two incidents within the last few years. The first was the 'ape' remark from the teen that he had the bad manners to call out. The second was the article for the SMH, which nailed his flag to the mast on indigenous history in a way that no footballer has before, and that seems to have offended many.

Again, the booing started with these incidents.

He should've realized that a naive 13 year old girl yelling calling him an ape in the heat of a match wasn't anywhere near as harrowing as he made it out to be. Pointing the finger wasn't so much the issue (let's be honest, he's no Nicky Winmar), but continuing to victimize himself and make a big deal out of such an insignificant remark made by a kid (who wasn't even intent on being racist) in the days after came across as pathetic.

As for the Australian of the Year speech, the bile he was spewing only served to widen the divide between white people and aboriginals. Trying to reaffirm the supposed "true owners" of the land contradicts what indigenous round is all about; bringing two cultures together.
He should've realized that a naive 13 year old girl yelling calling him an ape in the heat of a match wasn't anywhere near as harrowing as he made it out to be. Pointing the finger wasn't so much the issue (let's be honest, he's no Nicky Winmar), but continuing to victimize himself and make a big deal out of such an insignificant remark made by a kid (who wasn't even intent on being racist) in the days after came across as pathetic.

Let's bring the two cultures together, just don't mention any of that stuff that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I imagine the booing has stuck in his craw and he thought that he could make a 'look at me' statement during indigenous round. What did it achieve except Goodes being the centre of attention yet again and inciting a brawl in the crowd?
So that's what you "imagine" and it means he did something that actually had nothing to do with being a spokesman for IA issues in IA round? Ps the "brawl" was apparently one dude who drank too much and was giving it to Swans supporters.

And there were other candidates that deserved it more than him. he portrays hes the victim in this all, when he is playing the game he loves, on big money, he should be a role model for Aboriginals to not to continue to feel victimized. Our generation is the most welcoming and equality based generations ever, but continuing to portray yourself as the victim doesn't do the culture or himself any favors.

He was and currently still is a role model for aboriginal men. How many kids and young men do you think he helped as part of being Australian of the year? My guess is a lot. He was doing it before he won the award, and he wasn't just given it because he's a coloured footballer who's won a few medals, pin it on that guy this year. He was awarded it for community leadership where it was needed most.

Yeah, best the blackfellas just keep quiet eh?

Long bow you have there
Said he didn't want to have to hear about Adam goodes and from that you've linked it to not wanting to head from any black fellas - well done

As for the Australian of the Year speech, the bile he was spewing only served to widen the divide between white people and aboriginals.

Just out of interest .....is this the speech you think was divisive or did you accidentally flick onto Pulp Fiction?

Seems to be a lot of people who like aboriginal players provided they just play footy and never raise past injustices against aboriginal people.
People boo Adam Goodes because he is outspoken on aboriginal issues and people do not like to be made to feel responsible for what happened in the past.
Here's a tip.
Acknowledge it happened. Respect the aboriginal people as traditional custodians of this land. Stop booing Adam Goodes. You are embarassing yourselves.
We don't need political grandstanding in sport irrespective of the agenda. Otherwise where do you stop? Or more importantly, how do you constrain an opening that was initially accepted. Sport never should be political.

Absolutely fantastic show of his heritage by Goodes. Are AFL followers that sheltered nowadays that can't cope with a player showing his feelings and is the media that bereft of real stories?

No it was a spectacle aimed at opposition supporters to incite angst and hatred. For shame for someone of his standing.

You don't understand, This is a chance to boo Adam Goodes for showing pride in his indigenous heritage, Thus proving those that boo Adam Goodes are booing him for non racist reasons.

I reckon I am like the majority who don't give a rats about indigenous round or any other round the AFL put up. Just a round of footy to me, sick to death of all this beat up crap to try and make us all feel better about ourselves.
Sydney just won the first game of round 9. That is all that happened tonight. The rest is pure show boating and garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back