Bulldogs want a 25-30k NEW stadium in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda vs Freo - 8,000
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/081520020728.html

North vs Port - 9,000
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/121320020720.html

Melbourne vs Adelaide - 12,000
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/011120020622.html

Bulldogs vs West Coast - 12,000
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2002/071820020804.html

But yeah, fans who complain about Etihad Stadium are going to flock to Metricon V2.0...
Not sure how relevant crowd stats from a few games in 2002 are...?

Ideal venue is the Whitten Oval.

Public transport right at the front door.
Good parking facilities.

Work required:

Gordon St grandstand
Hi-Def scoreboard
Increased spectator facilities.

Easily the best chance to pull this off.
No other club besides the Dogs would host games there though. 1. Because it's the Dogs ground. 2. Because it's the Western Suburbs.

Is Etihad really more expensive to operate because it has a roof? Construct yes, but operate I wouldn't have thought so.

As far as I'm concerned as a venue competing with the AFL Etihad isn't worth much, let alone $1b. Soccer, rugby league and rugby union don't need Etihad for more than a handful of times a year. The AFL gets by currently with two stadiums. A third is a complete luxury. If you knew they were going to build a third venue why would you buy Etihad Stadium from them? Without contracts in place guaranteeing a minimum number of fixtures then you'd basically own a 55,000 seat oval in Melbourne that isn't used for football - the ultimate white elephant - and as the AFL if you're going to guarantee a big chunk of games to Etihad then it's a waste of money building another venue...

The price is for the land...Any buyer would tear it down and build apartments/offices or whatever...Right on the CBD, next to a train station, the water, major roads, etc.

As for the cost to run the place...I'm sure keeping the roof operational costs something to maintain, and I imagine by the time it's 30 year old there will be newer techniques to save costs.

The idea that clubs are going to get a Geelong-like deal with a new AFL-funded stadium is just ridiculous, though.

Well, they might be able to. Find a council that will effectively donate the land. Then find someone else, probably the state government, to pay for the stadium and relinquish control of it.

Good luck with that.

Then after a couple of years when everyone hates the place and crowds are pathetic, blame the AFL for coming up with the idea and demand compensation for having to play there.

Oh I don't know...North would. heck even Carlton would.

Essendon would, but there were rumours of a bowls club setting up nearby, so they got scared off.

Since Ballarat is getting a new ground why not just give the ten lowest drawing games to us? It's still within the state and would reduce the losses clubs are experiencing now. Catch the vline at 11:30, game starts at 1:10 finishing around 4, can be back at southern cross before 6.

Why bother? Move 10 games to Geelong....No construction needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying I want it to happen (I don't) but possibly the Saints and Hawks could share a 25k seat stadium somewhere in and around Frankston or otherwise in Melbourne's South East.

The Hawks will move out there and the Saints have a large fan base in the region.

Particularly if the Port moves to Hastings and population continues to boom in the Cranbourne/Frankston/Hastings area and it almost becomes it's own functioning city.

If the Hawks get kicked out of Tassie they could do with a small venue to host 4 games for good profits and the Saints have never been comfortable at Etihad IMO. The area has a lot of swing seats so Government funding could play a huge role as it has for Geelong.
Moorabbin would be ideally situated, that or Baxter across from current station or between Tyabb and Hastings at the end of the Westernport Highway or even on the Hastings foreshore overlooking the bay.

Frankston Oval would be an option if they could acquire land to the north of the current oval.

If anyone was going to build anything it would be a 30k stadium at Dingley.

As others have suggested, Showgrounds given there is already a train line there.

Princes Park would have to be demolished and rebuilt from scratch and parking has been an issue.

More trains on the Craigieburn line?

* that!

For a 25k seater and transport isn't bad, it's walking distance from the station and South Rd is being upgraded making it easier to access via road.

a) Needs to be more than 25K.
b) Even at 25K, the crowds were a nightmare for transport.

Etihad needs to start by dusting the visible dust from all the beams...shits manky as

I know footy can be a bit dull these days but if you're spending your time thinking 'that stanchion post needs a good clean' times must be tough indeed.

More trains on the Craigieburn line?

**** that!

I think it's the Upfield line you're thinking of, and last I recall, they can't run more trains on it (upfield station only has 1 track/platform which really slows the whole thing down - midn you, even if they could run more, it'd be a nightmare for cars at all the level crossings).

Funny fact

Melbourne, the home of afl has less afl stadiums than sydney.

Sydney has anz, spotless stadium next door, and the scg.
Ridiculous isnt it?

a) Needs to be more than 25K.
b) Even at 25K, the crowds were a nightmare for transport.
a) no it doesn't
b) They could have shuttle buses to Oakleigh Station (Pakenham and Cranbourne Lines) and Brighton Beach Station (Sandringham Line) much like Cararra is serviced by shuttle buses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back