Preview 2015 Grand Final: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles - Gunston IN, Hartung OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sub doesnt have to be named from the bench players.

As for suggesting Poppy, i love the guy but he has been the quietest compared to hill, duryea and suckling. I would say suckling but his kicking will be crucial to break the web and duryea also can kick long and accurate. That leaves Hill and Poppy for me. So not based on stats but form and matchups.

I don't think you understand what role Puopolo plays......the key indicator for Puopolo is tackles. Puopolo had 6 of them last week equal 2nd in our line up playing from a forward pocket....that is his true form line, anything above that is a bonus in terms goals etc
Puopolo is a necessity.

Have we ever selected a tall as sub? Highly doubt Schoey will be. More likely a player like Suckling or Duryea who can come on with fresh legs, find a bit of ball (thinking more of Doc here) and can have an impact in the last quarter (or earlier if needed).

Would prefer to see Duryea get a full game but he is probably the most suited for it with Hartung being omitted.

It's their midfield that worries me. They spread so much better than we do and their inside ball winners can definitely break even with ours. We must stop Schuey and Gaff. The former tore us apart in a single ******* quarter.

Lewis really need to lift and dominate. He has had possessions but disposal efficiency has been poor and his tackles are probably the most ineffective of all our midfielders.

Wore my Hawks gear to work today the looks I got from customers was glorious
One customer asked for help before another (Wearing eagles gear) then said "oh he won't be able to help you because we all know Hawks supporters are bit slow hahaha" to which I replied "Sorry was just thinking about how Im going to be celebrating saturday night" been a great week of banter.
Typical sledge from an Eagles supporter.

They want what we already got.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

As for suggesting Poppy, i love the guy but he has been the quietest compared to hill, duryea and suckling. I would say suckling but his kicking will be crucial to break the web and duryea also can kick long and accurate. That leaves Hill and Poppy for me. So not based on stats but form and matchups.

Dureya has been on lately.

Last week was superb.

Last edited:
Gunston is no slouch. Probably does the most running in our side with the exception of Smith and Hill although I'm hoping his mobility isn't too hampered. Looked to be fine.

Roughy is playing as some hybrid Ruck Rover Key forward role. Only dinosaurs we really have are McEvoy, Hale and Lake. Could pencil Schoey with the four but he has a zip in his step the past month. Hope it continues.

It's their midfield that worries me. They spread so much better than we do and their inside ball winners can definitely break even with ours. We must stop Schuey and Gaff. The former tore us apart in a single ******* quarter.
Still reckon we have to force more one on ones and dont let them have freedom for uncontested possessions.....they will slice us up just like we will them.......given a little time and space.

WCE are a good run and spread side....if we disrespect that aspect of their game.....they will hurt us just like in the 2nd SF.

#hawksneedtoweareagleslikeaglove

Have we ever selected a tall as sub? Highly doubt Schoey will be. More likely a player like Suckling or Duryea who can come on with fresh legs, find a bit of ball (thinking more of Doc here) and can have an impact in the last quarter (or earlier if needed).

Would prefer to see Duryea get a full game but he is probably the most suited for it with Hartung being omitted.
Agree...but we need him for 4 quarters to help out defensively.

S
Billy unlucky but probably the right decision given our opponent and match ups.

Schoey and Gunner forward means the undersized WC players must be accountable. However that only works if we hit targets.

Roughie to play through the midfield for periods to give another big body.

We must tag Shuey this time as he cut as up in the QF. Close attention for Gaff would also be good.

Happy that Schoey gets an opportunity to play in the big dance. Would love to see him impact the game and of course get a premiership medal.

I hope that if Gunston can play his usual role and kick 3-4.

Big jobs for Hale, Big Boy, Shiels, Hodge, Lewis and Mitchell in getting hands on the centre clearances or limiting the damage that WC does from the middle. Do that and use the ball effectively and we should win.

Can't bloody wait!
I'd like to see Hill run with Gaff all day. He's a better defender & tackler than Smith & can still be a link/ run & carry on the outside

Last year we played 8 "talls" (if you include Gibson and Stratton)
in the GF and probably have more speed and agility with Schoey and Frawley in the side. We also have a fully fit Rioli.

Roughie, Gunston and Schoey are not typical "talls" in that they have great foot skills and are often more dangerous when the ball hits the deck.

If anyone is a late out it's Hale. He's done very little and is a liability once the ball hits the deck. However, not sure we can afford to play Roughie in the ruck for significant periods of the game.

Grand Finals are won and lost at the contest. Billy is probably one of our weaker contested players due to his size and experience but he will get better in the future.

Schoey and Gunston are both good at winning or at least halving contests in the forward half and our mids, whilst not the quickest are big bodies who know how to win contested footy.

Smith, Hill, Birchall, Suckling, Shiels, Duryea, Burgoyne, Bruest, Stratton, Rioli and Poppy can provide run in different parts of the ground so we still have plenty of ability to cover the ground.

Our pressure and speed of ball movement will be more important though. West Coast will look slow if we force turnovers and use the ball well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As important as Poppy is - Duryea has provided more so I dont think calls for Pop to be sub are that stupid if it was out of those two. They are both starters for mine.

Suckling has been good and provides (slightly) more physical presence ghan Hill. We need muscle on the ground.

Based on run in form I would have to say Hill most likely sub. He would be of good value fresh.in the third as he would get to every contest and his weaker tackling would not be a problem against tired bodies.

Gunstan will be sub. He is the only one short on match fitness, so some time on the pine will bring him up to scratch with the others. In the event of an injury early, he can play back or forward, or provide the transition marks on the wing. If he comes on late he can run his guts out.

I've never understood Hartung as sub. His main advantage as a player is that he can run for longer. As sub, this advantage is nullified.

Gunstan will be sub. He is the only one short on match fitness, so some time on the pine will bring him up to scratch with the others. In the event of an injury early, he can play back or forward, or provide the transition marks on the wing. If he comes on late he can run his guts out.

I've never understood Hartung as sub. His main advantage as a player is that he can run for longer. As sub, this advantage is nullified.
I don't mind this.

I think Clarkson will use his final sub for the reason it was actually brought in. Shoey as a back up in case Gunston breaks down.

The whole sub coming on and bringing run and changing the game is nice in theory but I can't recall it ever happening. Hartung played 10 minutes last week and had no impact on the result.

Just on Poppy he has been playing higher up the field in recent weeks which has helped Breust get isolated. He also leads our pressure acts by a mile and when combined with Rioli they make it difficult for oppositions to bring the ball out of defence.

Yes they do as the 4 names on the interchange must start there, which means it's one of those four.

Btw, stop looking at the stat sheet. Puopolo is one of the most important forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back