Game Day 2023 Grand Final : Pies v Lions

Who wins the 2023 AFL Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They asked Hill after the game, “what inspired you today?”

He said he was watching Cyril Rioli highlights all night

Must have been up all night.

One of the better grand finals in recent years, first half was an amazing watch.

Couldn’t really give a toss who won it but can the AFL just start dishing fines/warnings to people who intentionally draw high contact and flop. Makes the game impossible for the umps to adjudicate imo, the amount of prodding other players then going to ground at the moment of retaliation was bordering on cringeworthy today.

One of the better grand finals in recent years, first half was an amazing watch.

Couldn’t really give a toss who won it but can the AFL just start dishing fines/warnings to people who intentionally draw high contact and flop. Makes the game impossible for the umps to adjudicate imo, the amount of prodding other players then going to ground at the moment of retaliation was bordering on cringeworthy today.
Daicos had four in the first half.

I remembered being torched by posters when I said Pies would finish above us last year. Fair enough to a degree Pies were a rabble. The turn around in such a short amount of time has been nothing short of insane. Hate seeing them win but they deserved it.
They are winners. I recall last year people suggested they’d drop off because they won a bunch of close games. The opposite proved true. They learnt to win.

How crazy is it that when you switch on to watch the grand final every year there's almost always a Hill, a Pickett, or a Rioli running around out there. The amount of success these indigenous families is unbelievable.

last 10 years off the top of my head:
2013: C.Rioli, B Hill, S.Hill
2014: C.Rioli, B.Hill
2015: C.Rioli (N.Smith medal), B.Hill, J.Hill
2016: -
2017: D.Rioli
2018: W.Rioli
2019: D.Rioli
2020: D.Rioli, M.Pickett
2021: K.Pickett
2022: -
2023: I.Hill (Norm Smith Medal)

My goodness, what a stat.

Hill, Rioli, Pickett.

Football surname royalty.

Daicos had four in the first half.

Yeah I’m not really sure who had how many either way but it felt like a lot going on throughout the game. When games are decided by less than a goal and it’s so hard to score these days it can take away from the greatness of the game.

Today was an incredible game imo and it’s just annoying we’re always talking about the same shitty umpiring blunders that can mostly be avoided (besides that advantage call)

Collingwood does not have a better list than us.

Their best 22 is not so much more advanced than ours.

Their forward line does not have the famed 2 big elite KPFs.

They have a bunch of role players who perform to expectations and a handful of elite players, not unlike us.

We are a bit younger and less settled in structure. Well done to them. We should find their success encouraging.

Star Wars Fun GIF by MOODMAN
Remember how glorious the days immediately after a GF win are? Consuming all the papers, binging on all the replays. I’m heartily sick of us being nobodies at this time of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few quick random thoughts ...

Super happy for Tom Mitchell who now has 2 great GFs on his CV - with 13 tackles in each (beast). And today he had 87% efficiency and 7 score involvements BTW.
That "Advantage" call will live long in the memory.
Jarrod Berry, just WTF? Did you actually want to win?
God there were some ordinary players lining up today - we really don't have to have 22 elite players to contend again. Just keep developing out young talent and have an effective game plan that everyone believes in. Go Hawks.

They are winners. I recall last year people suggested they’d drop off because they won a bunch of close games. The opposite proved true. They learnt to win.
Which shows the dangers of going full tank mode to get draft picks.

Teams can forget to win if they continually lose, whereas Collingwood have forgotten how to lose!

Collingwood does not have a better list than us.

Their best 22 is not so much more advanced than ours.

Their forward line does not have the famed 2 big elite KPFs.

They have a bunch of role players who perform to expectations and a handful of elite players, not unlike us.

We are a bit younger and less settled in structure. Well done to them. We should find their success encouraging.
Biggest difference between us and the Pies is that the Pies veterans (Sidebottom, Pendles, Howe, etc) are still playing good footy whilst all our veterans (with the noticeable exception of Bruest) have tended to drop of a cliff once they hit 28/29 as of late.

Need to have that strong senior core to help ride out the tough patches in matches and we are lacking players in that age group at the moment.

The one thing I wanted today was a close contest, and that’s exactly what we got. Absolutely cracking game which had a bit of everything in it. Best granny in recent memory, other than the four hawks flags I’ve witnessed of course. 😌

Was barracking for the Lions (mainly for Fagan and for a quiet off-season in Melbourne), but the Pies were just too good and deserved it after the season they’ve had.

Happy for McRae, especially considering the enormity of the day for his family off-field. Moore is a great leader and very well spoken, which is refreshing to see.

Also stoked for the Macedonian marvels (I’m biased). Have to admire the bond they share, if nothing else.

My biggest issue now is dealing with that end of season feeling and being robbed of one hour’s sleep tonight. 😩 It’s going to be a long offseason, I just hope we’re back in finals footy soon enough.

Good game, but not a particularly inspiring one. The right team won, the other mob had too many bedshitters.
Each to their own, but am curious to what more one would want from a grand final? Nail biting finish, constant lead changes, amazing goals, great marks, full crowd, sublime weather... 2018 was the best GF I've seen, but thought this was a close second

Couldn't really enjoy the game tbh, never one to constantly cry about the umpires, firstly the amount of ducking in that game was atrocious, it was absolutely nonstop. Like watching a South American national Soccer team. And I just thought the umpiring was as bad as the Bulldogs grand final. Whether it be the holding all game or the worst advantage call ever that really took any doubt out of the result at the end.

Back