Autopsy Round 21, 2023 : Hawks roast the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Some posters are out for blood because other posters don't believe that Morrison is the kind of player that will be in the side long term.

Anyone @ me if they disagree.
No, there are many people, myself included, who don't see him as being a regular starter in the side long term.

But he's on the list right now, he was selected...and the reaction to his selection here was laughable.

"How could Sam pick him? Doesn't he realize that I've written him off??"

Last edited:
No, there are many people, myself included, who don't see him as being in the side long term.

But he's on the list right now, he was selected...and the reaction to his selection here was laughable.

There's no issue in wanting to see a potential long-term option play instead of someone who is a depth player.

There's no issue in wanting to see a potential long-term option play instead of someone who is a depth player.
Selection should be merited though or it damages the brand and culture of the club. His selection was merited after playing consistently well as a defensive half back at box hill. A role that Karl Amon had been playing so he was the logical replacement. Does he hold his spot this week of Amon comes back, I think so, Mackenzie or Mitchell go out for mine.

No, there are many people, myself included, who don't see him as being a regular starter in the side long term.

I wanted him dropped earlier in the year because he was butchering the footy which shouldn't be happening as an outside player. That is why Bramble deserved to get dropped last week. With Amon out, didn't mind Morrison coming in

The first half didn't fill me with confidence but he was great in the 2nd though. Still not sure it is enough to get a game this week if Amon comes back. Ward is locked on the other wing. Maybe as sub

I still feel he is in the Tim Clarke territory great to have around as you are rebuilding but will be surpassed by others when we are genuinely competing

Brayden Maynard has been Collingwoods enforcer all season, then when he and Duke went at one another it made me realise that I'd legit pay money to watch that fight on PPV.

Why is Morrison at 24 not a potential long term option if he can continue with this output?

Called it the narrative would be more in Collingwood rather than Hawthorn AFL 360 is such a joke.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That was always going to be the case. Top of the ladder team is wobbling and lost one of their best players.

I recommend listening to Robbo at the start talking about us. Big wrap for Finn. Could see the unsociable Hawks coming back (called us unfriendly at the moment. Said we were the best 16th team he'd seen and that we were scary.

Gerard is the one that didn't like it and started to change the narrative later.

Brayden Maynard has been Collingwoods enforcer all season, then when he and Duke went at one another it made me realise that I'd legit pay money to watch that fight on PPV.
Maynard looks to be all bark no bite.

That was always going to be the case. Top of the ladder team is wobbling and lost one of their best players.

I recommend listening to Robbo at the start talking about us. Big wrap for Finn. Could see the unsociable Hawks coming back (called us unfriendly at the moment. Said we were the best 16th team he'd seen and that we were scary.

Gerard is the one that didn't like it and started to change the narrative later.
We’re inconsistent, and most of the AFL media don’t want to give us too much credit for fear of what we do the following week. They’re all tentative.

Knock off the dogs this week and more of these voices in the media will be willing to jump on board about what our future looks like. Fail and we’ll be just another bottom 4 team who got lucky against the flag favourite of the year.

We’re inconsistent, and most of the AFL media don’t want to give us too much credit for fear of what we do the following week. They’re all tentative.

Knock off the dogs this week and more of these voices in the media will be willing to jump on board about what our future looks like. Fail and we’ll be just another bottom 4 team who got lucky against the flag favourite of the year.
Sam said as much in his presser. Our best can match it and was good that we put together four quarters. But the best teams do it for 20 quarters or more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam said as much in his presser. Our best can match it and was good that we put together four quarters. But the best teams do it for 20 quarters or more.
Also, Pies will be preparing for finals. They are guaranteed top 2 and probably in a big training block. Hawks used to drop a game like this all the time when they were contending - usually against Richmond.

Still a great win but it has been a very inconsistent season. Beating the pies does not change that.

I think our best footy is bloody good and exciting to watch, it’s those periods of play (getting less frequent and not lasting as long) where we completely go missing that kills us. Understandable for such a young team. Great watching guys like Daysy and Newk trying to lift us when we are struggling. Those two in particular are not only emerging as stars of the comp but on-field leaders at our club!

Also, Pies will be preparing for finals. They are guaranteed top 2 and probably in a big training block.
Lots of pies nuffies running with this.

Speaking of Twitter, am I the only one who sees the X on embedded tweets and tries to close it?
Dark pattern - Wikipedia

My immediate thought when I saw that it was an X on the top right. And of course, clicking it takes you onto their website.

Also, Pies will be preparing for finals. They are guaranteed top 2 and probably in a big training block. Hawks used to drop a game like this all the time when they were contending - usually against Richmond.

Still a great win but it has been a very inconsistent season. Beating the pies does not change that.
I really don't care what the win against the Pies meant for them and was more concerned what it meant for us. The thing that I was most impressed with was the way we held our nerve after the 4th quarter capitulation against the Tigers. The Pies were always going to come and to see the way we responded showed a lot of progress.

The last part of the season for us has been about how we deal with things when the other team gets momentum and the understanding that you can never totally stop it but the need to limit it as much as you can. Seeing us go from aa totally handball focused team to a kick by foot maintain possession team to stem the flow feels like our young guys have now incorporated / added another gear to the kit bag. Knowing when to go at all costs and when to maintain possession on a more consistent basis I feel is paramount in these last couple of games and what I'll be looking for especially if we pick our strongest team.

Called it the narrative would be more in Collingwood rather than Hawthorn AFL 360 is such a joke.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some of the commentary around Collingwood not having the keenness to win a game like that amuses me because they’re 2 games clear on top.

Rest all your players then? They didn’t, they went in absolutely full strength. They had a genuine crack in the 2nd and 3rd and couldn’t go with us the rest of the match.

Lots of pies nuffies running with this.
Going in half a$$ed in games is how your players get long term injuries. Also seeing that footage of Daicos limping pre-game a couple of rounds ago you'd hate to think that that he's been playing lame just so he could assure he wins the brownlow. Hate to see anyone get injured but you have to ask if he has had any assistance to get up the last couple of weeks (ie pain relief / injections). If that is in fact true and him now having a long term injury then it likely means he misses out on that and also a shot a premiership. This is the epitome of you f**k around and find out.

This is a bullshit narrative. Good top teams don't just drop games and they don't drop games to bottom teams because "training block"

Hawthorn

2011 - Won the last 8 home and away games.
2012 - Won 13 of the last 14 home and away, lost to Geelong by 2 points in round 19.
2013 - Won 7 of the last 8, Lost to Richmond who finished 5th in the 5th last game of the season.
2014 - Won 6 of the last 8, lost to Fremantle who finished 4th in the 3rd last game of the season and North who finished 6th,
2015 - Won 6 of the last 8, lost to Richmond and Port ~ Richmond finished 5th and lost to Port away.

Richmond

2017 - Won 7 of their last 8, lost to Geelong(finished 3rd) by 14
2018 - Won 7 of their last 8, lost to GWS(finished 7th) by 2
2019 - Won 10 of their last 10 games
2020 - Won 6 of their last 8 games, lost to Port(1st) by 21 and Brisbane (2nd) by 15

Last edited:

Gerard did give us a very decent pump up on SEN during the day I must say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back