Autopsy Round 20, 2023 : Hawks stunned by Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Frost was frustrating today but so were half the team. He’s been good the last few weeks and most posters were giving him a solid pat on the back last week as he filled in ruck duties. This seemed like a solid way forward for the rest of the year.

The loudest voices this week on frost are also the loudest voices against Meek and Reeves both playing together, so please, give us your best option here…

The problem with Frost is that his "good" games are average by AFL standards, and his bad games are simply terrible.

Blanck is fast becoming a quality FB. Rarely loses a 1 on 1, will only improve. Think we’ve got one for the next 10 years.

Out of all the talk I hear about Newc and Day he is very quickly becoming my favourite with enormous improvement to come.

He has body size, is quick and has some real determination and fire in the belly. I love it when you think the opposition is going to get an easy one out the back, he runs back and throws his body into the player to create a real contest and never gives up.

Also the best thing about him is he looks as tho he really cares when a goal sails over his head and you can’t teach that stuff.

The problem with Frost is that his "good" games are average by AFL standards, and his bad games are simply terrible.
I don't entirely agree, I would just say that his bad moments are unacceptable from a leader, and this year they've been more frequent. He could absolutely be dropped this week, I think he's been on thin ice, and that free kick reversal was probably his worst moment of the year given the context of the game and how unnecessary it was.

Then again, I'm not sure we want to be bringing any green defenders in next week. His spot is probably safe, but it's hard to justify picking him ahead of Blanck going forward.

That was difficult to watch.
Positives were Breust what a star, wingard really building a block of form, worpel tried his guts out, meek competed against a high quality ruckman, blanck solid, not much else. Glad they fought back after a disaster worse than port given port are a top side, saints are going nowhere.
Main negatives are no defensive cohesion, which clearly has yet to be our strategic focus but needs to be in the off-season. Lots of simple mistakes but expect experience minimises those so ok to be patient. Bramble I said was Hartung a few months back and today he was exactly that - soft, run fast kick long turn over. time for a trade to norf! Frost has to go goodwill exhausted. Jeka replaces him we need to see him at senior level before the year is out. Frosty can focus on what he seemingly is on the list for, his charity work. Maginness has little game awareness when not tagging and time to move on from him.

Frost wasn’t axed. That’s complete BS.

He went from GWS to Melbourne with picks 40 and 53 in return for pick 23.

He then came to us in exchange for various picks when Melbourne had recruited May, and he played the full 22 games for Melbourne in his last season (2019).

We have been over our lack of draftees ad nauseum in the past 3-4 years - but we simply haven’t been able to recruit / draft a blue chip defensive monster. Sam has been serviceable, but there’s hardly much KPD quality banging down the door to replace him.

To suggest we got Frost after he was delisted by Melbourne is completely false.

Both teams were happy to move him on. GWS did as soon as they started improving. He has played essentially his entire career in bottom eight sides.

18 - GWS
18 - GWS
16 - GWS
13 - Melb
11 - Melb
9 - Melb
5 - Melb
17 - Melb
15 - Hawks
14 - Hawks
13 - Hawks
16 - Hawks

Coaches seem to be getting fatigued as much as the players.
Thought Sammy had a poor week with the selection of the team.
Need to stop stuffing around with the back key positions.
Blanck is a lock until we get better. Leave him there. As for CHB, chose someone anyone other than Frost.

I completely lost it with him today. Scared the life out of the sleeping dog next to me. That was one too many brain fades for me. What a stupid thing to do in that moment. He should never play again in my eyes. Done. Not apart of the future and not leading by example.
Poor bloke is the biggest running joke in the comp and after today, completely deserves it.
I hope he stood before the group and apologised.

Just because Chad has played 1 and a half good games in the last 2 weeks does not mean he has earned a new contract!
I would say he has earned the Hawks better trade value!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
My assessment, and I think the majority of our supporters, was that Chad was no longer capable of playing like he has in the last two weeks.

My guess is that Sam probably had a pretty frank chat to him about his future, and the penny has subsequently dropped.

Honestly, 'redoing a draft' 6 months after it's selected is where brain cells go to die.
Well maybe it is better expressed this way - at this stage relative to his peers, Frenchie had been a little disappointing. His best game was his first imo. I’m not saying he wont be a good player but I have no hesitation in saying I thought he’d be performing better than he is and I’d be surprised if I’m the only one here who thinks do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gap between our best and worst is the biggest in the comp and on display more often than any other team.
This isn't the problem that you might think it is though when you consider that had 12 players out there with less than 50 games. Over half the side.

If we'd only seen the bad, and couldn't find the good, I'd be concerned. That we can find our way back into games even at this early stage of our development is a positive.

My assessment, and I think the majority of our supporters, was that Chad was no longer capable of playing like he has in the last two weeks.

My guess is that Sam probably had a pretty frank chat to him about his future, and the penny has subsequently dropped.

It’s always been between the ears with Chad in my opinion. Yeah he struggles with fitness on and off but he’s played a lot of poor footy with no fitness excuse at the time.

I love the manic pressure version he brings sometimes just like today. I wouldn’t even call it tackling it’s more hunting.. he’s so fking good at it.

I personally hope he plays on with us and we get 2-3 solid years of footy out of him. I don’t think we will get what we think he’s worth on open market

Stopped watching at half time cause the sun was about to go away, but a few thoughts I saw;

First quarter was weird. Jumped the gates well then let them waltz all over us in every aspect. Glad to at least even the contest for the rest of the game

Ryan looks a solid prospect. Strong mark, decent kick and seems to have the forward craft missing in the other talls we've tried there

Been pretty impressed with Wingard after his spell in the VFL. Looks so much more hungry to help out the team now and is getting some good rewards. Kudos to him

Was a strange sub to take off Seamus instead of Bramble who had already had several clangers up to that point

Brocky has oodles of talent but seems to be running about doing not much at all. Butler I thought gave us a spark in regards to forward pressure so have been disappointed that he can't get his way back in

Another game and we march onwards. Amazing to think Day only has 50 games against his name. Is gonna be a star

Thought Worpel getting the best afield presentation for hawks was strange. Had Day ahead for mine
Worpel had 30, with 19 contested and 7 clearances.

Day had 22, with 5 contested and 1 clearance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back