Autopsy Round 11, 2023: Hawks nail the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hats off to Moore. Was working hard in the first half but absolutely nothing was coming off. Made some poor decisions and skill errors. But he didn’t drop his head and kept working hard and his fortunes turned and it all clicked in the last. Huge last quarter for him and a big part of our comeback 😀

I'll die on this hill...

Was in the top 3 games he's played in his career.

I found this quote of Davo-27 from when we drafted James Worpel way back in 2017. It's good to see he rated Worpel back then. But the real takeaway from this is how bad our midfield was at that time. Compare that midfield to the one we fielded yesterday: Newcombe, Day, Worpel, Nash, Mackenzie, and MacDonald as the sub. We then have Ward to come back into the side, and we have Long, Hustwaite, and Stephens dominating at VFL level. How times have changed at Waverley, fortunately for the better!
M8 at the time that's the best we had with a team mostly coming to the end of an amazing era.

Yeah the potting of Blanck was particularly unnecessary.
There’s a difference between blanck having a good game which I think he did last week and blanck being an important enabler for players like Sicily, which he was this week. He got towelled up by King but without him Sicily doesn’t play the game of his life so it’s a net win. The question for us going forward will be can blanck improve enough to make it a 1-2 goal night for King or do we need to look for an upgrade kpd. I have been a long time supporter of him and I think he will make it, he’s still young in both age and experience and the key is he has attributes and we all know KP take time to develop.

There’s a difference between blanck having a good game which I think he did last week and blanck being an important enabler for players like Sicily, which he was this week. He got towelled up by King but without him Sicily doesn’t play the game of his life so it’s a net win. The question for us going forward will be can blanck improve enough to make it a 1-2 goal night for King or do we need to look for an upgrade kpd. I have been a long time supporter of him and I think he will make it, he’s still young in both age and experience and the key is he has attributes and we all know KP take time to develop.
Hardly got towelled by King (can’t remember him get out marked 1on 1 by King) and played a great game on an emerging gun in Oscar Allen. Blanck has the tools to be a very good key defender.

Don’t disagree with that - having said that, King is a very good player - he’ll monster more experienced players than Blanck. What found unnecessary was that spud from the roar potting a 13 game 22 year old (and just about every other player we had).

Don't think he got towelled up at all. King got 1 goal due to diving, 1 to a great speccie that no-one would have stopped and 1 gimme which was more team defensive breakdown. Don't remember the fourth but don't recall him destroying Blanck to get it.

Overall, I thought he did well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Bramble. I remember watching a doco on the 2008 year at the Hawks and clearly remember audio of a coach talking to the players about non negotiable and one of them was "when it is your turn, go". Don't think that would have changed
Bramble can be timid in a contested ball situation. I think Amon is very similar. What they offer is run and carry and quality ball use, especially Amon. Not every player in our team is going to crash into a pack like Newk or Nashy!

Should go back and read the Game Day thread. I think there were three consecutive pages of posters calling for Moore's head. :tongueclosed:
frustration that he couldn't find the goals mainly, and burnt breust (which I understood after the earlier play where we overused the ball and turned it over)
and we are used to him being able to finish and get the goal

it felt for me that it turned when he finally got a head high free kick..

Loving the competition for spots at the moment, and it truly feels like we've found the right structure.

2 key backs, 2 key forwards and 2 rucks.

Our midfielders wouldn't want to have a few down weeks.
Long has just dominated for BH, CMaC is doing everything he can to get a spot in the 22, Ward is due back shortly, Stephens played his best game of the year and Hustwaite has had a great fortnight.

Down back we seem to have enabled our 'weapons' to play to their strengths.

Blanck has allowed Sicily to play more aggressively and it's truly a sight to behold. He's impacting contests more, still taking an outrageous amount of intercepts and finding himself with the ball in far more dangerous positions on the ground.

No surprise Impey is doing well with less chaos around him. Wee baby Seamus is just so incredibly composed for a 7 gamer. He and Impey have broken the line beautifully, defended with intent and come up to contests higher up the ground at the right moments.

Fair *s to Frosty who has kept it simple the last couple of weeks. Either get it on the boot long or give it to our dangerous players.

Not ashamed to say I'm a Kossie believer, and it's no surprise he's playing better with a functioning forward line.

Mitch Lewis is our most important player by a mile. There's maybe 2-3 players in the entire competition I'd swap him for, and that's a huge testament to the work he's done.

My kids and I went for a camping weekend.

I watched the Box Hill game first. Then vacuumed the house before watching the Hawks game.

wow… the Hawks dominated that game from start to finish. Great result.

The Hawks are a force that all will fear!

The commentators ignored this exact point until after we'd won. We genuinely demolished them. If we'd kicked straight, would have been game over before 1/2 time.

The commentators ignored this exact point until after we'd won. We genuinely demolished them. If we'd kicked straight, would have been game over before 1/2 time.
Yes….a huge differential on scoring shots.

Only those fwds that cannot kick straight should be considered to be removed. Bad kicking is bad football.
Kosie did well in general play today But he consistently cannot kick straight. (How the Hell has someone not helped his kicking is beyond me… the problem is obvious.)
But we have no replacement for him

Last edited:
First Crack lauding our leaders and the leadership they are showing to the youngster and how they bring them along.
Impey, Punky, Amon, Lewis, Moore and Sicily.

First time in a long while Hawks leadership has been given a pump up.

Don't think he got towelled up at all. King got 1 goal due to diving, 1 to a great speccie that no-one would have stopped and 1 gimme which was more team defensive breakdown. Don't remember the fourth but don't recall him destroying Blanck to get it.

Overall, I thought he did well.

Max King is a serial flopper. Loved seeing Sic put an extra bump on. Was a big F U and within the spirit of the game.

Blancka did well but well need to find a fill in for Sic for our defence to work as well next week. Worried about back half structure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back