Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Hawks fail to nail Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

What a game of football the Tassie faithful didn’t turn up for. What an embarrassing crowd for a state screaming for their own team.

Nash was huge, would he have played like this last year if not covering ruck, or did that help?

We’ve found a player in Seamus, Frost’s best game in the Brown and Gold I reckon. Result was s**t but plenty for Sam and the rest to take from this game. Our skills were lacking at times but the endeavor gave us a sniff.
You are consistent, if not boring consistent. Capacity is 19,000, so yesterday's crowd was just over 53% capacity. Would I like to see more there, of course, but this is not going to happen in Tasmania for Hawthorn or North Melbourne games ffs.
10k there,not sure what you were expecting. 11k against Norf so not to bad
Agree, and given the road works between Hobart & Launceston at the moment, I'm actually surprised there were that many there for these two games. It was such a long drive with all the 40 & 60 kph speed limits for road works.
Selling home games and only half filling a stadium after all the years we as a club have invested is less than what I expect. Maybe I set my sights too high, didn’t even look that many on TV.
Both turnouts were shithouse for a state that is screaming out for their own team.
I live on the Sunshine Coast and if Gold Coast played GWS for points here I would go and watch just to be able to watch a game live.
The broadcast side of the ground was certainly fuller than eastern side of the ground.

So, were you one of the "Crowd: TBC at Heritage Bank Stadium" crowd at yesterday's Gold Coast v North Melbourne game? Gold Coast crowds are so poor the AFL are too embarrassed to publish them.....

Round 1, 2022: Hawthorn v North Melbourne at the MCG.
Crowd: 38,297 at the MCG
MCG Capacity, just over 100,000, so that is what 38% or so capacity.
Round 17, 2022: Hawthorn v Adelaide at Marvel Stadium
1682302818759.png
Marvel Capacity is what, just over 53,000, so this game attracted 35.5% capacity.

Do you insult the Victorian supporters when they don't turn up to the games and can't half fill the MCG for two Victorian teams, or well under 40% for the same fixture as yesterday at Marvel? Yeah, didn't think so.

PS - Launceston population is 77,100, whilst Tasmania's is 545,000. Melbourne alone has a population of over 5.2 million. So sick of the Tasmania bullshit that gets posted on here.

Last edited:
There should be a rule if both of your feet are outside the line and carrying/holding the ball (irregardless if you are holding it over the line) - it is out.
There is skill required and a great benefit when you get it right. Whether running along the boundary line or, with feet outside the field of play, bounce handballing back into play to advantage, that is part of the fabric of the game and I'd hate to see another unique AFL trait disappear.

What about the situation where you have a defender with both feet behind the goal line but punching the ball back or rushing it through? Does that then mean it's a goal as it's crossed the line? Or is it different on those lines? (not having a go, just wanting to understand the idea better)

I think something needs to be done: acknowledging that it's hard to confirm if a ball is in or out as the boundary is a curved line.
SOLVED: in-built bomb which explodes in a player's hands if he crosses over the line while holding it

Hawthorn v Adelaide​

7 Taylor Walker (ADEL)
6 Rory Laird (ADEL)
5 Rory Sloane (ADEL)
5 Conor Nash (HAW)
3 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
2 James Sicily (HAW)
2 Sam Frost (HAW)

That is such a mixed polling, probably shows how close the game was/
Meanwhile Crows fans continue to argue that they don't rely on Walker, Laird, Sloane or Smith.

The ball was out twice as he swung it to his left while running
There was a boundary umpire right on the point post no more than 15m away watching the entire time.

If the ball was over the line at any stage, it would have been called. That’s their job.

6.46 in the match highlights ....you can tell the whole ball isn't out ? his whole body is out and front foot 20 cm behind the line
You really need to ask the boundary umpire who was no more than 15m away standing next to the point post and whose paid job is to make those calls (if they are there to be made).

If the ball was out, it would have been called out.

There was a boundary umpire right on the point post no more than 15m away watching the entire time.

If the ball was over the line at any stage, it would have been called. That’s their job.
I don’t care, the images clearly show how far out of bounds the player was and the position of the ball. Umpires are human and make mistakes. He need not be shot over it but it needs to be reviewed internally. There is big money in the game now. Someone may be able to sue for damages of not making finals given the right photo evidence.

There are often issues with the boundary line at York Park, (especially watching on tv vs live) so I'm happy to concede that one to the umpire.

I don't know for certain, but believe that whilst the wings are very wide, the pockets and flanks aren't - especially compared to MCG. (Equally as long, equally as wide, but more oval and less circular). It would explain why teams get lost out on the wing sometimes, having to bring the ball inboard just to stay on the boundary line - and lots of OOF where the player from square to wing (and vice-versa) where the player is searching for space.

Umpires are running the boundary curve and making judgements from 30m+ away - they are relying on their experience and expectations to interpret what they see just as much as the players. The camera angles are also deceptive, as cameras are located in different spots (and much lower to ground) than MCG.
except this boundary ump was only 10m away looking directly at it.

You are consistent, if not boring consistent. Capacity is 19,000, so yesterday's crowd was just over 53% capacity. Would I like to see more there, of course, but this is not going to happen in Tasmania for Hawthorn or North Melbourne games ffs.

Agree, and given the road works between Hobart & Launceston at the moment, I'm actually surprised there were that many there for these two games. It was such a long drive with all the 40 & 60 kph speed limits for road works.

The broadcast side of the ground was certainly fuller than eastern side of the ground.

So, were you one of the "Crowd: TBC at Heritage Bank Stadium" crowd at yesterday's Gold Coast v North Melbourne game? Gold Coast crowds are so poor the AFL are too embarrassed to publish them.....

View attachment 1668811
Marvel Capacity is what, just over 53,000, so this game attracted 35.5% capacity.

Do you insult the Victorian supporters when they don't turn up to the games and can't half fill the MCG for two Victorian teams, or well under 40% for the same fixture as yesterday at Marvel? Yeah, didn't think so.

PS - Launceston population is 77,100, whilst Tasmania's is 545,000. Melbourne alone has a population of over 5.2 million. So sick of the Tasmania bullshit that gets posted on here.

Strange defense. It is an embarrassing effort from our Tasmanian fans. The sooner the team leaves this state behind the better. The Tassie residents don't seem to have our backs when we're not winning 3-peats. I know it's great financially but we need to find other ways, the Victorian fans deserve to see our Hawks more than they do, especially if the Tassie residents don't want to see the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange defense. It is an embarrassing effort from our Tasmanian fans. The sooner the team leaves this state behind the better. The Tassie residents don't seem to have our backs when we're not winning 3-peats. I know it's great financially but we need to find other ways, the Victorian fans deserve to see our Hawks more than they do, especially if the Tassie residents don't want to see the Hawks.
blah Blah blah

You really need to ask the boundary umpire who was no more than 15m away standing next to the point post and whose paid job is to make those calls (if they are there to be made).

I don’t need to ask him we can see with our own eyes …

The boundary umpire low and behold has made a game defining error …it happens as he s human

View attachment 1668811

So how many people would attend a Tassie team game.2

This game was interesting as it appears that the crows had a similar game plan to Hawks. Run with handballthrough the middle.
crows are 2 to 3 years ahead of Hawks - so I Thought.
crows have a marking forward line and a more composed backline.
our forward line without a tall is quite good.
newcombe Nash and worpel are huge.
reeves improved.
the backline is the problem, frost cj and Sicily are dangerous, in the first half, of the gave the ball away 3 times at least that good players would not do.There is the game.
well done Hawks.
Mckenzie in the middle - 007 Licenced to kill - his own players - stick with it son.

It might be their job but it doesn't mean their any good at it .

Are you genuinely arguing that boundary umpires get every call right? Feel like you have these takes just to be contrarian most of the time.

What a superb effort by the team on Sunday. They fought tooth and nail all game but were just not able to be in front when the siren went to get the 4 points. Nash was an absolute star in the middle & shows he's a big part of our midfield going forward.

Duke has looked back to his best the past fortnight. Ned Long, in his 3rd game, stepped up to assist Noodle in the ruck and his pressure and tackling around the ball was immense. Seamus Mitchell is showing why we kept a spot for him on the list with his class & composure.

Chad's defensive efforts showed that he is invested in the direction that the club is going in. Frenchie & CMac both worked well throughout the game, while Jars' return to form is something special to watch with his bounce and carry.

Frost defensively was very good with his positioning and intercept marking, while Karl Amon continues to develop his combinations with the rest of the team and shows why he was someone Sam Mitchell wanted at the club.

Awful news with Lynchy going down with a concussion, but his health is the most important thing going forward. With Daysy, Wardy & Lewis' return on the horizon, Bramble, Weddle, Sul & co banging down the door at Box Hill, it's exciting times!

The real loser today was whoever designed those jumpers. That horizontal strip of brown at the bottom was terrible. Everyone looked like Harry Highpants.

Melbournes was ‘interesting’ a bunch of stars. Has anyone heard of ‘shell shock’. Obviously well intentioned but cmon

What a load of bullshit. Hawthorn v Adelaide drew an extra 7,000 people to Marvel Stadium just last year. Clearly Melbourne residents don’t want to see the Hawks either, given you have 10 times the population of Tasmania!
So how many people would attend a Tassie team game.2
I have no idea, and I doubt we will find out in my life time, but a ‘Tasmanian‘ team will be better supported than Hawthorn or North Melbourne that’s for sure.

We also need to have some positivity towards marvel as it’s inevitable we play there. And while we are at it last not be ‘the team for the south east suburbs alone. The top melbourne teams don’t do that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back