Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Hawks fail to nail Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

We also need to have some positivity towards marvel as it’s inevitable we play there. And while we are at it last not be ‘the team for the south east suburbs alone. The top melbourne teams don’t do that

Yep. I know this is off topic but I've never understood the hatred towards Marvel. It's a fantastic stadium in the city.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Sicily so far this year??
I think the entire leadership team has struggled which isn't at all surprising given the extra work they now have off field. Jars seems to be adjusting the best.

Are you genuinely arguing that boundary umpires get every call right? Feel like you have these takes just to be contrarian most of the time.
I’m saying it’s more likely the ball didn’t go over the line and the call was correct.

Sometimes the ball goes over the line and the umpire doesn’t get it right because they aren’t close by. In this case the umpire was very close and in good position on a great angle.

The angles we got on the TV were not as good as what the boundary umpire had at the same time.

You may think I’m being a contrarian, but I feel some on here think umpires deliberately umpire against us or overlook calls to make the game flow (which is odd).

In my experience, as an umpire, that’s simply not the case. Mistakes can, and do, get made, but in this instance the umpire was in good position - much better than the TV cameras.

I’m saying it’s more likely the ball didn’t go over the line and the call was correct.

Sometimes the ball goes over the line and the umpire doesn’t get it right because they aren’t close by. In this case the umpire was very close and in good position on a great angle.

The angles we got on the TV were not as good as what the boundary umpire had at the same time.

You may think I’m being a contrarian, but I feel some on here think umpires deliberately umpire against us or overlook calls to make the game flow (which is odd).

In my experience, as an umpire, that’s simply not the case. Mistakes can, and do, get made, but in this instance the umpire was in good position - much better than the TV cameras.
You said "If the ball was out, it would have been called out" which is demonstrably false given that goal umpires get decisions that happen within metres of them wrong on a weekly basis.

That moment of the ball going over the line was probably so fleeting for the umpire that you cannot seriously argue repeatable and replayable TV coverage is less reliable for making a judgement.

You said "If the ball was out, it would have been called out" which is demonstrably false given that goal umpires get decisions that happen within metres of them wrong on a weekly basis.

That moment of the ball going over the line was probably so fleeting for the umpire that you cannot seriously argue repeatable and replayable TV coverage is less reliable for making a judgement.
Fair enough 👍

Exceptionally disappointing. Hope he comes out firing on all cylinders next week.

As tremendous a player as he is I’m still yet to see Sicily or his stamp on the team as captain. Hopefully he’s just growing into the role.

Exceptionally disappointing. Hope he comes out firing on all cylinders next week.

As tremendous a player as he is I’m still yet to see Sicily or his stamp on the team as captain. Hopefully he’s just growing into the role.
I’m cutting Sic some slack because he is having to front up and play on the main key forward every week giving up 10cm and 10kg most weeks just cause we are lacking a KPD.

If he was able to play a Tom Stewart loose man I defence I think he would be much better placed to stamp his authority on the game as captain (Blanks poor form has really hurt us here in that regard).

I’m cutting Sic some slack because he is having to front up and play on the main key forward every week giving up 10cm and 10kg most weeks just cause we are lacking a KPD.

If he was able to play a Tom Stewart loose man I defence I think he would be much better placed to stamp his authority on the game as captain (Blanks poor form has really hurt us here in that regard).

He's not though. He's playing the same role he did last year as far as I can tell, zoning off a bit.

His comments on Tasmania (which to be fair are accurate but not appropriate for our captain to be saying about our longtime sponsor) and the whole taking himself off with 4 minutes off are more disappointing. 10 points up with 4 minutes left does not mean the game is iced - what on earth was he thinking?

He's not though. He's playing the same role he did last year as far as I can tell, zoning off a bit.

His comments on Tasmania (which to be fair are accurate but not appropriate for our captain to be saying about our longtime sponsor) and the whole taking himself off with 4 minutes off are more disappointing. 10 points up with 4 minutes left does not mean the game is iced - what on earth was he thinking?
Love Sicily but he's no Darcy Moore at this stage in his captaincy. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Sicily but he's no Darcy Moore at this stage in his captaincy. :rolleyes:

It's pretty bloody stupid. I'm a Tasmanian (although in Melbourne for 20 years) and all the sensible Tasmanians down there recognise player retention/attraction for a Tassie team is going to be a real issue. But Tasmania has been good for us (as we have for them) and they don't deserve our captain talking them down.

It's pretty bloody stupid. I'm a Tasmanian (although in Melbourne for 20 years) and all the sensible Tasmanians down there recognise player retention/attraction for a Tassie team is going to be a real issue. But Tasmania has been good for us (as we have for them) and they don't deserve our captain talking them down.

Wish the fans would support the team though

Absolutely. Such an immature response.

I'm not certain playing down in Tasmania would be that much of a negative. They'd be in a footy mad state but it's more relaxed. Easy flight or ferry ride to Melbourne if that's where they come from. Beautiful towns, beaches, wilderness, great food, culture. But all just a bit more relaxed. colder maybe. :)

Wish the fans would support the team though
Tassie fans get dogshit teams to play us. Back when it started it was a novelty, but the problem with going to a footy state is the fans aren't idiots - and they already have teams they support.

We also need to have some positivity towards marvel as it’s inevitable we play there. And while we are at it last not be ‘the team for the south east suburbs alone. The top melbourne teams don’t do that
Why is it inevitable? We played 1 game there pre the move to Tassie and you’d hope we’d be pushing for the same like our co tenants Melbourne / Tigers / Pies. It’s such an awful ground to go watch footy, I’d be pretty pissed if we just accepted this because we’re a “smaller club”.

There was a boundary umpire right on the point post no more than 15m away watching the entire time.

If the ball was over the line at any stage, it would have been called. That’s their job.
But they didn't DO their job.

Why is it inevitable? We played 1 game there pre the move to Tassie and you’d hope we’d be pushing for the same like our co tenants Melbourne / Tigers / Pies. It’s such an awful ground to go watch footy, I’d be pretty pissed if we just accepted this because we’re a “smaller club”.
Dicker got a 9-2 mcg docklands deal giving up Waverley. That seemed to diminish with 4 Tassie games not 2

Which admin let that get diluted? I reckon we’ll be 7-4 with another 4-2 away games, the other 5 elsewhere

Makes sense to negotiate a deal rather than just get sloppy thirds

I just checked the coaches votes. Am I right in saying that both coaches gave their votes 5 and 4 to players which the opposing coach didn’t have in his top 5 on the ground? Quite bizarre. The maximum votes are five, therefore, each coach could only have given the votes to Day and Daniel. The same applies to the 4 votes. If I’m wrong someone please correct me.

1682918035736.png

Last edited:
I just checked the coaches votes. Am I right in saying that both coaches gave their votes 5 and 4 to players which the opposing coach didn’t have in his top 5 on the ground? Quite bizarre. The maximum votes are five, therefore, each coach could only have given the votes to Day and Daniel. The same applies to the 4 votes. If I’m wrong someone please correct me.

View attachment 1675590
You are correct but it goes further than that. It actually means that from 5-3 on each list weren’t on the other lists. 1&2 were shared between the coaches but it’s impossible to say who received the 3s and who received the 1s & 2s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back