Autopsy Round 11, 2023: Hawks nail the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think he got towelled up at all. King got 1 goal due to diving, 1 to a great speccie that no-one would have stopped and 1 gimme which was more team defensive breakdown. Don't remember the fourth but don't recall him destroying Blanck to get it.

Overall, I thought he did well.
I think the second goal was from a marking contest with Frosty. Blanck wasn’t involved.

Still think Gresham would be a great addition for no draft capital. Has a lot of talent and would be an ideal replacement for Chad who needs a change of scenery/luck with injury.
Ideal replacement for chad in the sense of overrated, overpaid, hardly gets on the park?

I think the second goal was from a marking contest with Frosty. Blanck wasn’t involved.

That marking contest included Frosty being blocked so he couldn't get there to spoil. Was worth a goal assist it was so blatant and effective.

King so basic that he proceeded to pump his chest out and get in Frosty's face.

This Saints team have been really gobby during their brief period of dominance over us. You'd think they'd actually won something instead of reaching back into their bag of tricks to get a coach back who always allows the opposition into the game, because he ensures that they'll be novel low scoring matches if sides are evenly matched.

There’s a difference between blanck having a good game which I think he did last week and blanck being an important enabler for players like Sicily, which he was this week. He got towelled up by King but without him Sicily doesn’t play the game of his life so it’s a net win. The question for us going forward will be can blanck improve enough to make it a 1-2 goal night for King or do we need to look for an upgrade kpd. I have been a long time supporter of him and I think he will make it, he’s still young in both age and experience and the key is he has attributes and we all know KP take time to develop.
"Blanck, let’s be honest, isn’t great as a key defender. Max King kicked four on him on Saturday, while in his previous two full matches this season, the Hawks have let in 13 goals to tall forwards, including five from Logan McDonald against Sydney in Round 2. He offers little with the ball, rarely intercepts, and in general struggles with probably the toughest job in footy: stopping the monsters."

Does this bloke watch footy?

Blanck gave away 1 maybe 2 goals to Max King, 1 was on Frost and 1 was a speccy whose direct opponent isn't clear.

Frost/Blanck both played on him, but it's easy to pot the youngster right?

Blanck's defensive loss % in 2023 is only 23% which is pretty good for a key defender. He has a lot of scope to improve, but he's doing his job currently.

"Blanck, let’s be honest, isn’t great as a key defender. Max King kicked four on him on Saturday, while in his previous two full matches this season, the Hawks have let in 13 goals to tall forwards, including five from Logan McDonald against Sydney in Round 2. He offers little with the ball, rarely intercepts, and in general struggles with probably the toughest job in footy: stopping the monsters."

Does this bloke watch footy?

Blanck gave away 1 maybe 2 goals to Max King, 1 was on Frost and 1 was a speccy whose direct opponent isn't clear.

Frost/Blanck both played on him, but it's easy to pot the youngster right?

Blanck's defensive loss % in 2023 is only 23% which is pretty good for a key defender. He has a lot of scope to improve, but he's doing his job currently.
I’m in the UK who are you quoting?

2 blind statlines:

Player A:
10 disposals (8 kicks), 80% DE, 3 marks (2 inside 50, 2 contested), 1 tackle, 262 metres gained, 3 inside 50s, 7 score involvements, 3 turnovers, 3 clangers

Player B:
10 disposals (5 kicks), 80% DE, 6 marks (4 inside 50, 3 contested), 2 tackles, 86 metres gained, 0 inside 50s, 6 score involvements, 1 turnover, 1 clanger

One is Max King, the other Jacob Koschitzke.

I'd take Kosi's game every day of the week. He busts his ass and Sam loves those players in his team. So glad to see him get his moment to shine and finally get some love from the Hawthorn faithful

2 blind statlines:

Player A:
10 disposals (8 kicks), 80% DE, 3 marks (2 inside 50, 2 contested), 1 tackle, 262 metres gained, 3 inside 50s, 7 score involvements, 3 turnovers, 3 clangers

Player B:
10 disposals (5 kicks), 80% DE, 6 marks (4 inside 50, 3 contested), 2 tackles, 86 metres gained, 0 inside 50s, 6 score involvements, 1 turnover, 1 clanger

I'd take Kosi's game every day of the week. He busts his ass and Sam loves those players in his team. So glad to see him get his moment to shine and finally get some love from the Hawthorn faithful
You omitted that player A kicked 4.0 and player B kicked 1.2

You also omitted player A played in a losing team and Player B didn't.
Which honestly makes player A's game more impressive given we were on top, they had less I50s, worse entries and so on.

I hated King's flop and the way he plays frustrates me, but switch teams and he has a much bigger game for us than Kosi would for them.

2 blind statlines:

Player A:

Player B:

King kicked 4

Not really a comparison

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which honestly makes player A's game more impressive given we were on top, they had less I50s, worse entries and so on.

I hated King's flop and the way he plays frustrates me, but switch teams and he has a much bigger game for us than Kosi would for them.
Kosi played his role as the 2nd key forward, whereas King is their #1 (King of Moorabbin according to the big screen after each goal). If every week we see that type of of game from Kosi, where he impacts the scoreboard, plays his role and stops Lewis getting double and triple teamed, we should be stoked. Kosi is a very undervalued role player in the team - Sam loves those players who bust their asses and do the team things.

Kosi played his role as the 2nd key forward, whereas King is their #1 (King of Moorabbin according to the big screen after each goal). If every week we see that type of of game from Kosi, where he impacts the scoreboard, plays his role and stops Lewis getting double and triple teamed, we should be stoked. Kosi is a very undervalued role player in the team - Sam loves those players who bust their asses and do the team things.
Sam couldn't have loved Kosi too much considering he opted to play with no key forward at all for half the season.

Look, he had a good game as a foil for Lewis on the weekend but I would trade him for King in a heart beat. Not sure the comparison does him much justice.

Still think Gresham would be a great addition for no draft capital. Has a lot of talent and would be an ideal replacement for Chad who needs a change of scenery/luck with injury.
Ideal replacement for Chad would be any player capable of jumping over a tin of peaches. Love him but his body is completely shot.

Lewis was still at times, double/triple teamed. But he’s gonna get it against teams like St Kilda who are defensively minded more so than attacking, like us. Aswell as the fact Lewis is an absolute star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back