Autopsy Round 20, 2023 : Hawks stunned by Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

We can’t seriously keep playing Finn Maginness? What’s the point of a 16th team tagging. There were countless times yesterday he just let the play/ball go past him as he was solely focused on his opponent. We’re effectively playing one short on the field. And god forbid he gets the ball. So robotic, it’s like he’s never been taught how to kick or handball.

Did Finn actually spend time on NWM? If so that's probably his first fail this season. I know he kept Sinclair to 4 touches in Q1 then spent a large amount of time on Wood.

We were throwing the magnets everywhere. I saw him trailing NWM for about 5 minutes in maybe the 3rd quarter.

Very surprised with Mackenzie. He just doesn't look ready.

Not sure about Mackenzie for a top pick gets caught and fumbles the ball a lot and his awareness for who is around him isn’t great for a top pick in the draft compared to Ward in his first season.

Not sure about Mackenzie for a top pick gets caught and fumbles the ball a lot and his awareness for who is around him isn’t great for a top pick in the draft compared to Ward in his first season.
Are all other club supporter bases this quick to question a player who's played a hand full of games? And how many of those have been as a sub?

For all the negativity and criticism we only lost by 29 points.

If you said to someone "5th placed team is up against 16th placed team - what do you think the result would be?"
A five goal win to the higher ranked side seems very reasonable.
We conceded 9 1 55 in the first qtr

Re occurring theme all year run ons and massive lapses

To an out of form team who s been struggling to score also

As for the Aints 5th is a false economy and in 5 weeks they may well be 9th/10th which is where they belong

Are all other club supporter bases this quick to question a player who's played a hand full of games? And how many of those have been as a sub?
Infuriating eh.

Whilst selections are weird, I think Sam is starting to find out what he’s got and who’ll he’ll take forward
That’s the reason Bramble wasn’t subbed, in my mind.

We know what we’ve got with Seamus, for at least 2 more years. Bramble doesn’t have a contract for 2024.

As the year goes on I have wained on our two big rucks, the game is so much faster now and defensively they can barely muster a chase.

In an ideal world having a first ruck that almost acts as a quasi midfielder but who is highly mobile and can take an outlet mark is my number 1, to me that is Ramsden if he comes on but I don’t see reeves or meek taking us to a flag if they don’t offer much defensively

If we go back to Ward’s first year he was getting run down left and right because he thought he had more time than he did.

Most first year players take time to adjust to the top level. I know there has been a few freaks lately that have hit the ground running but not having much impact in your first year is normal.

Thats without mentioning he had some really solid form earlier in the year. So while yesterday was poor, it’s easily the worst he’s played all year.

So Mackenzie attended 7 centre bounces in the first quarter. We won only ONE of those CB, and in five of them his opponent got first possession or the clearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know what we’ve got with Seamus, for at least 2 more years. Bramble doesn’t have a contract for 2024.
While i agree with this it was interesting to note that Bramble spent large parts of the second half on the bench with CMAC2 and Brocky

As the year goes on I have wained on our two big rucks, the game is so much faster now and defensively they can barely muster a chase.

In an ideal world having a first ruck that almost acts as a quasi midfielder but who is highly mobile and can take an outlet mark is my number 1, to me that is Ramsden if he comes on but I don’t see reeves or meek taking us to a flag if they don’t offer much defensively

I thought Meek did quite well given Marshall's skill. He held his own for most part. Should stay in team for the Pies game given BH have their 3rd bye & Reeves enjoys his 2 week break.

I would actually wrap Reeves up for the season and give Ramma the last 2-3 games instead of Meek( if Meek is not doing great).

Robbie Campbell was a premiership ruck and played like a bull smashing through players when needed. I am hoping Meek can become a similar version as he definitely has the body built for it. The second Ruck/Forward is the key for us and this is why someone like David Hale was so valuable for years in this role.

Hopefully Ramma 🤞 but what is obvious having Meek and Reeves together does not look like it will work.

I thought Meek did quite well given Marshall's skill. He held his own for most part. Should stay in team for the Pies game given BH have their 3rd bye & Reeves enjoys his 2 week break.

I would actually wrap Reeves up for the season and give Ramma the last 2-3 games instead of Meek( if Meek is not doing great).
Crazy talk.

We can’t seriously keep playing Finn Maginness? What’s the point of a 16th team tagging. There were countless times yesterday he just let the play/ball go past him as he was solely focused on his opponent. We’re effectively playing one short on the field. And god forbid he gets the ball. So robotic, it’s like he’s never been taught how to kick or handball.

Tough one. If he keeps Nick Daicos to under 20 touches this week and goalless instead of 35 and 2 goals and we get close everyone will say it was partly due to the work of Finn.

His skill level by hand and foot is a major concern. It must be a real tough balancing act for the selection group each week.

Based on that last performance I'm not sure he will have one.

I like Bramble but I think he's found his ceiling as a very good VFL player and a very poor AFL player. Many such cases.

Based on that last performance I'm not sure he will have one.

I like Bramble but I think he's found his ceiling as a very good VFL player and a very poor AFL player. Many such cases.
Collo will be sad. It's his boy

Could have told you that he had bad disposal and wouldn't make it at half back after our pre season games. We persisted with him for the longest time at the start of the year. Bewildering.

IMG_20230730_132822_684.jpg

I attended the game but thought I'd wait until the heat subsided before posting - all opinions are viewed from this above angle of watching.

Pro:
I cannot overestimate how good Ryan was. When you combine his performance with his poor conditioning and physique, he did so so well.
The goal must be to get more minutes without injury and hit pre-season with the aim of upping his fitness and adding a few KG's
Considering he pretty much came from Maribyrnong 12 months ago, his fitness is to be expected. Another MSD win!

Worps was excellent as was Chad and Breust.

Cons:

Oh boy. I'd have gone with Blanck down back, Weddle on wing and Scrimshaw as sub. I know it's about learning the ropes this season inc who just won't make it, but how many times can your name be crossed off the list? Bramble, lord love him, isn't best 22, so why try him again?
What is it now? 30 odd games.

Weddle has proved he just isn't comfortable to be the static KPD, so I was bemused to see him in that position 4 or 5 times over the match. Outside mid or wing for Weddle surely - he is certainly well above average going forward, so I have no idea why he keeps being asked to play the static defensive role on occasion. McKenzie in the pocket, Blanck sub - just a bit odd.

Frost - OMFG - I couldn't believe my eyes. It was about 70m away from me, and it was completely unneccesary - I don't know if it was shown on TV, but he gave a second free away just after too - I think the ump called play-on / goal.
The field umpire allocated to that area spent the next 10 mins just watching Frost...

Momentum killer - I loved watching Frosty last season, always trying, but now, when it's time to grow as a club - he costs more than he brings.
Sicily was also very poor - well beaten, and rubbish body language. I hope he isn't Captain next year. He doesn't seem to be overly keen on the role TBH.

Disposal was consistently inconsistent, some guys efforts seemed very conditional. Brockman gave up a few chases too easily, and didn't track back. Impey had a poor game in a sensational season, Bramble Frost and Sicily have been mentioned. Nash seemed lost when pushed out wider.

I did like Blanck flying the flag in the 3rd quarter.

It was a game Hawthorn lost through poor skills and acts of stupidity, rather than a game St Kilda won through being vastly superior.

Hopefully lessons are learned and mistakes not repeated at selection for the rest of the season.

Cheers

Not sure about other clubs' bases, but it is absolutely rampant and out of control in here.
Spot on and it’s a very big reason I never post or look at this place the day of a loss, it staggers me sometime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back