Autopsy Round 11, 2023: Hawks nail the Saints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks 24 and under players that played against St Kilda

Worpel (24) 90 games
Nash (24) 61 games
Lewis (24) 56 games
Reeves (24) 27 games
Moore (23) 63 games
Blanck (22) 14 games
Newcombe (21) 40 games
Day (21) 42 games
MacDonald (20) 29 games
Brockman (20) 19 games
Mitchell (20) 7 games
Butler (20) 13 games
MacKenzie (19) 9 games
Weddle (19) 5 games

Average age: 21.5
Average games: 33.9 games
The first 7 on that list (40+ games) are all playing consistently well (except maybe Moore who has struggled a bit this year).

If we're 1 season away from those next 7 guys putting in such consistent performances we'll be a completely different team

I see the media have suspended Sicily.
Kane Cornes shamelessly making the case on The Sunday Footy Show.

"James Sicily is going to have this incident reviewed by the MRP. The likely suspension length of..." checks fixture "...at least one week."

Maybe I'm alone but I thought this was a pretty average article. Hardly necessary to play down the players to the degree this does in order to play up Sam Mitchell. The way he talks about some of the players is downright insulting.

Also not sure why it was necessary to have such a gratuitous retelling of the game either. Just a long, dull read that I felt focussed on a lot of the wrong things.
Same. I thought the writer’s comments re Blanck were unfair sbd untrue.

One of the things we have lacked in recent years is just really strong players across every line. That stood out yesterday, all the new kids are very strong in the contest, even with the lack of pre seasons. Jai and Nash day around every contest is significant change in strength from recent years.

Cam Mackenzie is going to be insane in two years

I’m not sure where Connor Nash’s ceiling is but I don’t think we have seen it yet. He is still learning the game which is a really exciting thought. The kid is an elite sportsman and a leader and looks like being a centrepiece of the rebuild. Amazing foresight from the club in taking the time needed to develop him.

b121e50b-78fe-4dd7-be80-9d4cd4717ad8.jpg

Last edited:
Sicily may have had an all time game today but not enough credit goes to him for sitting King on his backside after the dive. Well worth the 50.

I love the wide shot especially, you can see Sicily immediately beeline towards King to fly the flag!

Such an amazing win, it had the same feeling as the 2013 Semi Final against Geelong, that final quarter was a heart stopper. I was actually a quarter behind real time watching on Kayo, and when I saw the scoreline on my feed, while the alerts saying the match was over, there was a moment of dread that we'd lost, but I decided to not check the final totals and keep watching cause I still thought we could take the win.

Sicily, what a star. When we first recruited him, I had a hunch he had the qualities to be a captain of the club, and today finally cemented it. I think the year long ACL injury whilst a massive blow for him and the Hawks, but on the flip side, may have been a key moment in his development as a leader. His personality has a different vibe about him, more humble on where he is, and seems to have the team back him through and through.

Kosi to tip the game in our favor, that'll build a whole lotta confidence he needs. Bruest with the sealer, he's an absolute legend of the club. Still trips me out that he's the last of the old guard in the team.

And no negatives really to say about the rest of the team too yesterday, everyone dominated, never dropped their heads even as they couldn't apply scoreboard pressure, and everything seemed to click. Those last few minutes, seeing everyone rally behind every scorer was huge and instilled that belief they could win. Sam Mitchell has us playing a brand of footy that I'm really enjoying and looks like the team is buying into, I know that some peeps don't like the overuse of hand balling, but what I sorta see is that we almost have a grid like position structure to it so that we confuse the opposition as to which direction we're going when it gets slowed up. When it clicks it's impressive to watch and helps our run.

All in all what a match and a turning point for the club I reckon! Go Hawks!

Not sure if this was said anywhere, but where did Saint Kildas 5th point come from,

just watched the replay and when we scored a point in the 4th Quarter with 14 minutes to go the score jumped up one also for the Saint’s

They went from 76 to 77

???

Butler kicked a behind at 16 minutes, but wasn't added to the scoreboard until the next score update.

i would play him in our midfield from round 1, Mitchell, O'Meara + Worpel, with Cousins and Burgoyne interchanging in there (Smith, Henderson, Impey - wings/flanks), thats how much i like this pick up
I found this quote of Davo-27 from when we drafted James Worpel way back in 2017. It's good to see he rated Worpel back then. But the real takeaway from this is how bad our midfield was at that time. Compare that midfield to the one we fielded yesterday: Newcombe, Day, Worpel, Nash, Mackenzie, and MacDonald as the sub. We then have Ward to come back into the side, and we have Long, Hustwaite, and Stephens dominating at VFL level. How times have changed at Waverley, fortunately for the better!

I loved kosi’s game even before game winner. Plenty of quality teams (and premiership teams) get by with a 2nd tall fwd that is limited but honest and competitive. As long as there is a big dog and some other quality around them. Ramsden might grab his spot in the next year or two but can’t complain if he dishes that up every week.

Overall that has to be the benchmark for pressure and hardness. In our worst games early in the year we were bullied out of the contest and didn’t chase. Thankfully we now look as hard as any team and yet we are among the youngest. We will be a scary proposition with a few more preseasons.

Loved frosty’s game too. Even the free he gave away where he really made it count. Same as the skipper knocking king on his ass.

But most of all loved the excitement in derms voice in the box. Still my favourite and I love that he loved what he saw. Unsociable and hard, but smart. That wins premierships.

I’m not sure where Connor Nash’s ceiling is but I don’t think we have seen it yet. He is still learning the game which is a really exciting thought. The kid is an elite sportsman and a leader and looks like being a centrepiece of the rebuild. Amazing foresight from the club in taking the time needed to develop him.

View attachment 1698846

He has turned 'Tanking' into a position.

View attachment 1698846
And to think, only eight weeks ago, morons on here and on social media were calling for his head....

View attachment 1698846

S.Mitchell master stroke! rised thru the vfl ranks and has turned into one of our most consistent and reliable midfielders.

Possibly a sneaky chance for the B&F!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to warm to marvel what an amazing amount of noise at the end, what a comeback! In contrast to a couple of write ups I’ve seen I thought Blanck played really well, am I on my own? He provides Sicily with that opportunity to play the role he did yesterday.
Spot on Re Blanck. Changes the look of our backline

What does this even mean?
It means that for a team who was sitting 17th, he thinks we’re pretty decent, and if that’s the case, that is good for the health of league. Thought it was a pretty straightforward comment, and one we should welcome.

Worpel (24) 90 games
Nash (24) 61 games
Lewis (24) 56 games
Reeves (24) 27 games
Moore (23) 63 games
Blanck (22) 14 games
Newcombe (21) 40 games
Day (21) 42 games
MacDonald (20) 29 games
Brockman (20) 19 games
Mitchell (20) 7 games
Butler (20) 13 games
MacKenzie (19) 9 games
Weddle (19) 5 games

Average age: 21.5
Average games: 33.9 games
Top post

Casual observation
Our skill level (under pressure) is still not where Sam wants it to be.
But
Under Sam’s reign I suspect we will no longer draft players who can’t kick.
Sam, as a player, worked his butt off to develop his skills. Kozzie taking 1000 shots on goals may indicate why he’s back in the team

Maybe I'm alone but I thought this was a pretty average article. Hardly necessary to play down the players to the degree this does in order to play up Sam Mitchell. The way he talks about some of the players is downright insulting.

Also not sure why it was necessary to have such a gratuitous retelling of the game either. Just a long, dull read that I felt focussed on a lot of the wrong things.
Yeah the potting of Blanck was particularly unnecessary.

It is interesting to see the difference having a more structurally sound lineup is making to our team.

Blank and Kossi are certainly not stars of the comp (although both played well on the weekend) but having Blank take the gorilla forward and allow Sicily to do what he does best and Kossi as a second (kinda?) marking option up forward to take some heat of Lewis makes out team look a lot more settled.

We are still crying out for a classy, quick, goal kicking small forward who applies pressure though.

Total flog, bags every player then ………. WTF ! Dickhead, gggrrrrrrrr

Stoked with the win, love watching our midfield develop, Sicily was all time, also Meek looks like Buzz Lightyear.

Worpel (24) 90 games
Nash (24) 61 games
Lewis (24) 56 games
Reeves (24) 27 games
Moore (23) 63 games
Blanck (22) 14 games
Newcombe (21) 40 games
Day (21) 42 games
MacDonald (20) 29 games
Brockman (20) 19 games
Mitchell (20) 7 games