Autopsy Round 21, 2023 : Hawks roast the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain how McCreery got a vote? 11 touches 1 goal 4 tackles even his large number of pressure cast at 25 was third behind Worpel and Crisp who had 26 and 27 touches respectively. I know stats aren’t everything but in a side that got smashed I am at a loss.
Maybe it's the similarity to the surname McRae, and the coach got confused and thought he was family.

Can someone explain how McCreery got a vote? 11 touches 1 goal 4 tackles even his large number of pressure cast at 25 was third behind Worpel and Crisp who had 26 and 27 touches respectively. I know stats aren’t everything but in a side that got smashed I am at a loss.t

In contrast, weddle, a defender on this line had 18 disposals, 4 marks, 2 tackles and a goal. No votes

That was such a glorious smashing - everyone looked like they absolutely had the best time out there.

• When Newcombe plays well we are so much better. I'm not sure what conspires to release Newcombe to play his best - but it's good when it happens.
  • Blanck back has improved the backline enormously
  • Ryan is the second tall we've been dreaming of. 2 games in and he's kicked 5 goals from dangerous spots.
  • Reeves played a blinder and our mids could play positive and aggressive footy
  • Will Day gets going when the game gets tough - and I love it. He's a gun.
  • Worpel underrated on this board.
  • Wingard's energy really helps us. We're not breaking down at half foward like we have for so much of the season.
  • Scrimshaw is a gun.
  • Sicily has those days where he is just unstoppable. Must be as annoying for other clubs as when Rance tore teams apart.
  • The shutdown of Daicos was such a complete destruction. He does it well. I normally hate taggers but Maginess doesn't seem to be like those nasty duds.

We've got some really good pieces in place for the coming years. It's been a wild season

That was such a glorious smashing - everyone looked like they absolutely had the best time out there.

• When Newcombe plays well we are so much better. I'm not sure what conspires to release Newcombe to play his best - but it's good when it happens.
  • Blanck back has improved the backline enormously
  • Ryan is the second tall we've been dreaming of. 2 games in and he's kicked 5 goals from dangerous spots.
  • Reeves played a blinder and our mids could play positive and aggressive footy
  • Will Day gets going when the game gets tough - and I love it. He's a gun.
  • Worpel underrated on this board.
  • Wingard's energy really helps us. We're not breaking down at half foward like we have for so much of the season.
  • Scrimshaw is a gun.
  • Sicily has those days where he is just unstoppable. Must be as annoying for other clubs as when Rance tore teams apart.
  • The shutdown of Daicos was such a complete destruction. He does it well. I normally hate taggers but Maginess doesn't seem to be like those nasty duds.

We've got some really good pieces in place for the coming years. It's been a wild season
Just on Jai (#1) I think running with our best midfield set up really helps, especially Nash and Worps doing a lot of the grunt work. The transformation of our midfield has been nothing short of amazing this year.

Remember when Bont took that contested mark on Luke Hodge in the 2016 semi? That was the torch passing moment from one superstar to another, and the final score of that game symbolised the ushering of a new era.

Had that exact same feeling when Weddle and Pendlebury were chasing a bouncing footy and Josh just ran straight past him and took off with it.

I’m still filthy the power didn’t transfer from dusty to CJ when CJ fended him off a few years ago.

I love how the players all knew exactly what the moments were immediately. Shows just how on they were during the game.

We’re riding this like we’ve won the flag and I’m loving every second of it hahaha the pies fans must be dark about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

might have to watch the replay
do it jewish GIF

On second watch I think Morrison had an even better game than I thought.

He was so good and involved in so many key moments for us and just lead from the front.
People who ranted about his inclusion should line up to apologise to him.

On second watch I think Morrison had an even better game than I thought.

He was so good and involved in so many key moments for us and just lead from the front.
People who ranted about his inclusion should line up to apologise to him.
Also and I know this as I backed him for 15 disposals (gamble responsibly). He had 6 at half time and finished with 21 and 2 goals. I’ve never understood the people calling for his delisting I’ve said all along he’s a solid player between 20-30 and every premiership side has that player I hope he’s ours!

What a game! What a win.

Really loved the way the boys composed themselves in the second quarter to stabilise after Colingwood made a charge. That showed that the team are maturing as well as developing nicely. The scuffle in the third echoed it.

Most others have pointed out the best stuff already, but there are two things I think need mentioning; well, three. Scrimshaw can up the intensity and tackle hard when he wants to. Let's hope he keeps wanting too, because that was a brilliant tackle.

Second, the ball skills and even decision makling skills seem to be coming along nicely - quick handpasses and kicks were hitting their targets much more often than not - meant I could rest the defibrilator this weekend.

And third, isn't Kosi coming along nicely. I have to admit, even earlier this year, I was writing him off. But the last few games he has played, he has been nicely composed, focused, and not rushing the decision, kick, handball, andis becoming a valuable asset. Loved to see him develop.

Don't hold your breath, mate...
Credit to him, he played really well in the 2nd half but he is not best 22 moving forward (good back up) and would leave him out for Amon in a heartbeat. Sammy seems to love him so will get opportunities moving forward. Don’t like him getting a game ahead of players like Mitchell and Mackenzie who have far more upside. His recent dropping was on the back of poor ball use which is his 1 Wood.

Credit to him, he played really well in the 2nd half but he is not best 22 moving forward (good back up)
Yeah, maybe...and that is exactly what he proved, that he was good back-up.

The way this forum reads sometimes, it's like people are too stupid to realise you need MORE than just best 22 on the list, and that you often need to play them...regardless of one's imaginary ideal best 22.

I'll just remind people that he's 24, not 30. He's currently a Hawthorn listed player. The reaction by some here to his selection was odd at best, embarrassing at worst.

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe...and that is exactly what he proved, that he was good back-up.

The way this forum reads sometimes, it's like people are too stupid to realise you need MORE than just best 22 on the list, and that you often need to play them...regardless of one's imaginary ideal best 22.

I'll just remind people that he's 24, not 30. He's currently a Hawthorn listed player. The reaction by to his selection was odd at best, embarrassing at worst.
I wouldn’t have picked him but glad he played well. At least you know what you are getting when Harry steps on the field. That clutch goal in the 3rd was a key moment in the match. I have no problem him getting a game short term as young players like Frenchy (not quite physically ready) and Mitchell (young player who probably needs a rest) are still developing. In theory he could play most weeks and not be in the ‘best 22’ as teams rarely have everyone available due to injury.

Credit to him, he played really well in the 2nd half but he is not best 22 moving forward (good back up) and would leave him out for Amon in a heartbeat. Sammy seems to love him so will get opportunities moving forward. Don’t like him getting a game ahead of players like Mitchell and Mackenzie who have far more upside. His recent dropping was on the back of poor ball use which is his 1 Wood.

Morrison was terrible in the first half. He had 6 touches at 50% efficiency, and the most important touch he had - when he was in space with time on the wing/HFF, on the move - he absolutely butchered the kick to our leading forward.

However, he was an entirely different player in the second half.

That quick response to Collingwood getting within a kick (I believe after a soft free too) was excellent. That goal was huge and IMO it would have been so deflating if he had missed that. His second half was really good - 15 touches at 80%, 2 big goals. I think he kept his width well too, which didn't allow Collingwood to press up completely.

Some posters are out for blood because other posters don't believe that Morrison is the kind of player that will be in the side long term.

Anyone @ me if they disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back