Autopsy Round 20, 2023 : Hawks stunned by Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Bemused at posters writing off a first-year player simply because he was a high draft pick who is still learning the ropes. He will be a gun, just needs to adjust, build up his frame and find his way. Frenchie has a bucketload of talent and you can already see glimpses of the player he will be.

I can't see Frost getting too many games next year as our new batch of KPDs come through, which will do wonders for my sanity.

I agree with posters on here re Bramble - he's got jets, but that doesn't matter when you butcher the ball every time. Chad is a gun, and another year or two in the side will help the young players in the forward half a huge amount! His gut running to present an outlet and linkages up the field was a great example for the younger blokes.

We are inconsistent and frustrating, but that's to be expected for a young side. I'm glad we didn't get steamrolled by 80 and that we clawed back momentum at certain times in the game.

Just watching the second and third quarters, that Frost reversal was extremely soft! Easy to knock him for being stupid, but there really wasn't anything in that.
Soft sure, but we had all the momentum, had just won the ball back in our D50. It's not like it was in the forward pocket. I could excuse it more if it was a young bloke with less than 50 games, but how many game has Frost played? 150?

Bemused at posters writing off a first-year player simply because he was a high draft pick who is still learning the ropes. He will be a gun, just needs to adjust, build up his frame and find his way. Frenchie has a bucketload of talent and you can already see glimpses of the player he will be.

I can't see Frost getting too many games next year as our new batch of KPDs come through, which will do wonders for my sanity.

I agree with posters on here re Bramble - he's got jets, but that doesn't matter when you butcher the ball every time. Chad is a gun, and another year or two in the side will help the young players in the forward half a huge amount! His gut running to present an outlet and linkages up the field was a great example for the younger blokes.

We are inconsistent and frustrating, but that's to be expected for a young side. I'm glad we didn't get steamrolled by 80 and that we clawed back momentum at certain times in the game.

Once Frenchy finds ways to get on the end of an easy disposal we will start to see the best of him.

Build up that tank and get to a lot of contests. As our inside ball winning brigade improve he will have more opportunities to damage on the outside.

Soft sure, but we had all the momentum, had just won the ball back in our D50. It's not like it was in the forward pocket. I could excuse it more if it was a young bloke with less than 50 games, but how many game has Frost played? 150?
It was right infront of me.
Saw frost going to the saint and said to the guy sitting next to me "watch this get reversed, the umpire already has the whistle in his mouth"

Sure enough, reversed

Just watching the second and third quarters, that Frost reversal was extremely soft! Easy to knock him for being stupid, but there really wasn't anything in that.
Just shouldn't do it. But at the game the controlling umpire let it go (it happened right in front of him) and the non-controlling umpire who was further away reversed it. I'd like for once for the controlling umpire to say "Wait a second let's discuss" rather than just folding like that.

At the game today - checking the team on the train in, thought it was odd that Blank was the Sub, not only for the reason he helps the structure, but also because it makes sense for a burst player to come in and play that role.
Turned out he wasn't a good selection as sub.

Of note:
Thought Meek was good - a lot saying he was poor, but he came up against a top quality ruckman and I don't believe the Saints center clearances came from taps, they came from the ball hitting the deck and ours mids didn't have the hunger or desperation to win the ball. The last qtr against Richmond split over into this week.

We need some pace. No answers for NWM. Killed us.

Our Half forwards were terrible, especially in the first qtr, Saints HBFs just running off their opponents and linking up with ease. Was so hard to watch.

D.Moore needs some confidence, he should be running into the 50 and going for goal. Twice he fluffed it looking to dish off and not take the responsibility.

Newc - bad first half -Hawks bad first half. Newc good 2d Half, Hawks better 2nd Half. Him and Worps tried hard but we need another contested mid in there.

Sicily was poor, especially early, jogging 15m behind his opponent on multiple occasions leading to easy goals.

Brockman was soft.

Day good. Bruest good. Chad good.

So many passengers and poor disposal.

Finn is meant to be a tagger - If he lets Sinclair rack up 26 plus providing stuff all offensively, he has to go. A wasted HF position where we need creativity.
Finn was off Sinclair after the first quarter.

Did Finn actually spend time on NWM? If so that's probably his first fail this season. I know he kept Sinclair to 4 touches in Q1 then spent a large amount of time on Wood.
Was something like

Sinclair first qtr, Wood second & NWM third. Each qtr his man only touched it about 3-4 times.

Finn was off Sinclair after the first quarter.

No Finn was on Sinclair for the whole of the first half.
But Lyon put Sinclair as half back because he was tagged and Sinclair just started attacking moves from there.
Hence there was no value in tagging Sinclair because of his positoning.
Finn has very limited value in that side.

The issue of Blanck being the sub was interesting. The logic, which was sensible, was clearly that we were worried about the St Kilda tall forwards. And that eventuated because we were being thrashed by them in the first quarter and more.
That's why the early change of short (Mitchell) for Blanck was made.

But Lyon put Sinclair as half back because he was tagged and Sinclair just started attacking moves from there.

The issue of Blanck being the sub was interesting. The logic, which was sensible, was clearly that we were worried about the St Kilda tall forwards. And that eventuated because we were being thrashed by them in the first quarter and more.
Finn didn’t play on Sinclair in the second quarter. The comments came straight away from commentary since Finn wasn’t near him & he was finding the footy after quarter time.

Finn is consistently mis rated and viewed by everyone, it’s just such a casual way to look at things. Albeit I want to see him regather his natural hunger for the contest and play him as a mid. Physically he is exceptional, he has great strength around the ball and is good at distributing by hand & releasing his hands. He has good pace & needs to be backed in, tag when he needs to. It’ll be Daicos this week.

Sam made poor selection choices this week.

Replace Frost with Blanck, Bramble for Scrimshaw & move Weddle to a wing and we’d of had a better team balance & less stupid errors and turnovers by foot.

Amon is a big in again next week with Reeves.

Sinclair was half back all game. Don't think he even attended a CB.

Finn was moved off him at qtr time after we got belted and coaching staff decided we needed to the move the magnets around. By that stage Sinclair only had 4 touches, 1 of those was a kick out. The broadcast made mention of the change at the start of the second qtr as Dewyyyyy said

That exact same thing happens 100 times a game but Butler took a massive dive here. The Frost hate for that is insane, especially when Blanck did worse later in the game and nothing was given anyway.

Its a joke that it was given a free and was only called because it was Frost, any other player (other than Sicily) and its play on as usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing that stank yesterday was where the game was played. Obviously.

It felt like a bloody Saints home game. By the time a lot of hawks fans figured out how to get there and seated it was well into the first qtr.

Hardly heard a hawks chant all game. Such a crap stadium, could just hear sooking Saints supporters all game.

He tagged Sinclair for just over a quarter, then was basically playing without tagging anyone
He went to Crouch after the horse had bolted. Would have sent him to him from the 2nd qtr onwards. Normally Crouch is a solid mid but he destroyed us yesterday and we didn't cotton onto the influence he was having till too late.

I'd like for once for the controlling umpire to say "Wait a second let's discuss" rather than just folding like that.
They like to maintain public solidarity; no questions of each other's decisions, on the field, at least...

Cam McKenzie. A true draft bust! Been in the system long enough now to influence games more with clearance after clearance, heap more involvement in scoring chains and bossing 30 disposals and two goals a game!
What a big headache.

They like to maintain public solidarity; no questions of each other's decisions, on the field, at least...
Agree. But maybe our game could take a leaf out of other games where the umpires confer sometimes to make a decision rather than overruling each other

Remove this Banner Ad

Back