Autopsy Round 20, 2023 : Hawks stunned by Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game today - checking the team on the train in, thought it was odd that Blank was the Sub, not only for the reason he helps the structure, but also because it makes sense for a burst player to come in and play that role.
Turned out he wasn't a good selection as sub.

Of note:
Thought Meek was good - a lot saying he was poor, but he came up against a top quality ruckman and I don't believe the Saints center clearances came from taps, they came from the ball hitting the deck and ours mids didn't have the hunger or desperation to win the ball. The last qtr against Richmond split over into this week.

We need some pace. No answers for NWM. Killed us.

Our Half forwards were terrible, especially in the first qtr, Saints HBFs just running off their opponents and linking up with ease. Was so hard to watch.

D.Moore needs some confidence, he should be running into the 50 and going for goal. Twice he fluffed it looking to dish off and not take the responsibility.

Newc - bad first half -Hawks bad first half. Newc good 2d Half, Hawks better 2nd Half. Him and Worps tried hard but we need another contested mid in there.

Sicily was poor, especially early, jogging 15m behind his opponent on multiple occasions leading to easy goals.

Brockman was soft.

Day good. Bruest good. Chad good.

So many passengers and poor disposal.

Finn is meant to be a tagger - If he lets Sinclair rack up 26 plus providing stuff all offensively, he has to go. A wasted HF position where we need creativity.

By the way, well done to our mids for fighting back into the game, but it's a little reminiscent of the Port game. We can't accept a 1/2 or a 3/4 job.

Also, I don't want to see Seamus subbed off again unless he's injured. Blanck was good and helped save the game, but we would've stood a better chance of winning with Seamus out there. I don't really disagree with Sam's assessment that Blanck should've been out there, but I would've dragged Bramble, Finn or Mackenzie and done a reshuffle, rather than lose one of our best playmakers.

2 horrendous qtrs and 2 very exciting qtr. The up’s and downs of a developing team, I think Kingy mentioned 12 Saints over 100 games to our 6.

scoring 93 is a positive but letting a Ross Lyon coached team kicking 120+ is some what concerning. The blue print at the moment to beat the Hawks is pressure, pressure, pressure we are not mature enough or skilled enough to handle it. This results in turnovers and easy goals, we can only hope this improves in the next 50 odd games and we have a group clicking all at once.

Our set up from kick ins is well not that good, opp to seem to transition it regualry and easily out of 50. Seems to result in a F50 just about every time.

Ryan showed enough

Day, Worpel, Bruest & The Chad our best.

Would love to see Weddle further up the ground, need his run & flare more forward

Hate it when commentators laugh at Frosty 😡 but it’s hard not to 😔

Bramble unfortunately a player the opposition want to have the ball

Reckon we will put our best team out there this week and then after that start to see what we have BH

Our defence is a mess! Need to sort that out with a clear head before heading into 2024. All over the shop .
Spot on. There are too many bad decision makers in the back line, also the foot skills on a few of them are woeful. Should never have Frost, Bramble and Impey in the same back half. That is half our backline who have multiple brain fades.

Frost was frustrating today but so were half the team. He’s been good the last few weeks and most posters were giving him a solid pat on the back last week as he filled in ruck duties. This seemed like a solid way forward for the rest of the year.

The loudest voices this week on frost are also the loudest voices against Meek and Reeves both playing together, so please, give us your best option here…

At the game today - checking the team on the train in, thought it was odd that Blank was the Sub, not only for the reason he helps the structure, but also because it makes sense for a burst player to come in and play that role.
Turned out he wasn't a good selection as sub.

Of note:
Thought Meek was good - a lot saying he was poor, but he came up against a top quality ruckman and I don't believe the Saints center clearances came from taps, they came from the ball hitting the deck and ours mids didn't have the hunger or desperation to win the ball. The last qtr against Richmond split over into this week.

We need some pace. No answers for NWM. Killed us.

Our Half forwards were terrible, especially in the first qtr, Saints HBFs just running off their opponents and linking up with ease. Was so hard to watch.

D.Moore needs some confidence, he should be running into the 50 and going for goal. Twice he fluffed it looking to dish off and not take the responsibility.

Newc - bad first half -Hawks bad first half. Newc good 2d Half, Hawks better 2nd Half. Him and Worps tried hard but we need another contested mid in there.

Sicily was poor, especially early, jogging 15m behind his opponent on multiple occasions leading to easy goals.

Brockman was soft.

Day good. Bruest good. Chad good.

So many passengers and poor disposal.

Finn is meant to be a tagger - If he lets Sinclair rack up 26 plus providing stuff all offensively, he has to go. A wasted HF position where we need creativity.
If you were paying attention at the game you would have noticed that Finn maybe spent a quarter and half on Sinclair

Very surprised with Mackenzie. He just doesn't look ready.

Young player tiring as the season progresses. It happens.

He had a mare, but Day, Nash, Newcombe and Mackenzie combined for about 8 disposals for the majority the opening quarter. We were smashed out of there early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frost was frustrating today but so were half the team. He’s been good the last few weeks and most posters were giving him a solid pat on the back last week as he filled in ruck duties. This seemed like a solid way forward for the rest of the year.

The loudest voices this week on frost are also the loudest voices against Meek and Reeves both playing together, so please, give us your best option here…

Best option is to play Blanck and DGB in front of Frost.

Best option is to play Blanck and DGB in front of Frost.
I think they were being cautious with Blanck after his injury. He’ll come straight back in next week and play alongside as he has most of the year. DGB had donuts last week and every poster on this board said he deserved to be dropped. I’d like to see him back in but reckon Ryan did enough.

Who helps in the ruck?

I think they were being cautious with Blanck after his injury. He’ll come straight back in next week and play alongside as he has most of the year. DGB had donuts last week and every poster on this board said he deserved to be dropped. I’d like to see him back in but reckon Ryan did enough.

Who helps in the ruck?

Ryan is 200cm with the longest arms ever seen. Mitch Lewis is a monster of a human and could pinch hit if his knees could cope.

Blitzavs has shown everyone you don’t need to be the biggest or strongest to play the role.

Who helps in the ruck?
If that is the case then that's just ******* dumb of the coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back