Autopsy Round 6, 2023 : Hawks fail to nail Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I am much the same I can see us finishing around 15/16th.
I am keen to find as many players as possible S.mitchell looks like his in the side to stay now.
While continuing to grow the core nucleas moving forward... Nuke,Amon,Day,Nash,Reeves,Frenchie,
Worps,Ward,C-Mac,Moore,Lewis,Brock, Green,Jiath,Scirm,Dgb.

The spine needs attention we need to work out the best plan for key position stocks and nail them.

Our young spine is a class above at VFL level. Whether it translates or not?

Blanck. Weddle ramsden Jeka Kosi

We got some clangers and some absolute brilliance from both Frosty and CJ.

Team hasn’t worked out to use these guys on the rebound

Was out yesterday so didn't catch the game.... just got up early and watched the last quarter. Unfortunately for Nash, as good as this tackle was, he gave away 2 free kicks in the last 2-3 minutes when we were heading forward with absolute indiscriminate efforts when we needed to keep territory. The first of the 2 in particular when we still held the lead was sloppy and cost us a chance to pump the ball deep inside our own 50. It went the other way and then..... Frostys effort on Fogarty wasn't great either.

Obviously plenty to like from the game but that's another one we shouldn't have lost.

Totally agree with this.

I don't know if it's Hawthorn supporters or Tasmania in general, but we've been playing games in Launceston for 20+ years and can seldom crack more than 50% of ground sales at UTAS stadium. It beggars belief in my eyes.

We are led to believe the reserves sell out, but people don’t always attend

There should be a rule if both of your feet are outside the line and carrying/holding the ball (irregardless if you are holding it over the line) - it is out.

What about the situation where you have a defender with both feet behind the goal line but punching the ball back or rushing it through? Does that then mean it's a goal as it's crossed the line? Or is it different on those lines? (not having a go, just wanting to understand the idea better)

I think something needs to be done: acknowledging that it's hard to confirm if a ball is in or out as the boundary is a curved line.

Bruest is cooked I reckon. Is only getting half as much ball, and is missing chances he would previously get.
I know we need the on field leadership but I feel that we can't carry both Breust and Wingard when Lewis comes back in as need to keep in the youngsters.

What about the situation where you have a defender with both feet behind the goal line but punching the ball back or rushing it through? Does that then mean it's a goal as it's crossed the line? Or is it different on those lines? (not having a go, just wanting to understand the idea better)

I think something needs to be done: acknowledging that it's hard to confirm if a ball is in or out as the boundary is a curved line.
it should be diff for goal lines as they are straight. everywhere else atleast one feet needs to be in the field(including line). I would even be fine to let the ball be out of field as long as feet rule is enforced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are often issues with the boundary line at York Park, (especially watching on tv vs live) so I'm happy to concede that one to the umpire.

I don't know for certain, but believe that whilst the wings are very wide, the pockets and flanks aren't - especially compared to MCG. (Equally as long, equally as wide, but more oval and less circular). It would explain why teams get lost out on the wing sometimes, having to bring the ball inboard just to stay on the boundary line - and lots of OOF where the player from square to wing (and vice-versa) where the player is searching for space.

Umpires are running the boundary curve and making judgements from 30m+ away - they are relying on their experience and expectations to interpret what they see just as much as the players. The camera angles are also deceptive, as cameras are located in different spots (and much lower to ground) than MCG.

The sun has come up and it's another cracking day her in NW Tas.

A few more thoughts on yesterdays game.

Negatives
  • Lynch with concussion
  • Frost & CJ really is heart in mouths when they have the ball
  • Bruest was disappointing, never really threatened.
  • the last 7 minutes
  • Players from both teams throwing the ball after being tackled and not being called. FFS reward the tackler
Positives
  • Duke, love him. Favourite player
  • Nash has arrived.
  • DGB didn't rack up the stats but pants Thilthorpe.
  • Brockman will be special, hope we can hold onto him
  • Mackenzie skills will be cutting teams up for the next 10+ years
  • Reeves was good, a few posters have been critical of his lack of marking, but watching live when he has an arm being held at every contest makes it hard to grab them one handed
  • Amon fantastic pick up, ran all day and hardly wasted it. That left foot is deadly
  • DGB playing on after Morrison tried to end his season
  • No way are we finishing last, we have 4 or 5 wins in us
Mods - any poster that calls for Nash to be dropped should get a 4 week ban. The Irishman has arrived, that tackle will have opp players looking over there shoulder.

The side has come along way from the rubbish dished up earlier in the season, loving the year can't wait until 2025.

Watching Reeves is like watching Jake Cooper from Millwall. Both players get punished just for being significantly taller than their opponents. Can scrag and grab them with no recourse because the umps keep the whistle away.

Absolutely frustrating.

This is where we lost the game. 3 points up with 30 secs on the clock. CJ the spare, pushes up to attack, when we needed him deep to defend. Ball goes over his head and it's a Fogarty goal. He'll learn from that, but that is brain-dead play.

Regardless in the second photo you can see the whole ball is clearly out by a long way …it isn’t even close to being in …
The boundary umpire can't be given latitude on this one given where he is positioned. It was an incorrect call.
If it wasn't Hawthorn, it'd be the topic of the media all week but crickets as expected. Cheats 2.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back