2023 PCM - Will Day Peter Crimmins medalist 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Well to be frank, none of our talls played a cracking season did they?

Aside from Sicily there’s no one other than a 197cm midfielder in Nash who finished top 10.

You’ve got to fill the top 10 with ten players from the club.

Having a club B&F dominated by mids / small runners (which is not unusual) is symptomatic of a club lacking decent talls / KPPs.

Well done Day & Nash, as I agree they are the ones whose PCM results are impressive.

For everyone else, well it’s about what you would expect given the position they play and our dearth of decent talls.

It’s just a KPP thing in general. Keep in mind that L.Franklin is only a 1 time best and fairest winner and arguably the best player I’ve seen alongside G.Ablett Jnr

Newk is great but i reckon he still needs to be better when he doesnt have it. Day is better than him at this and therefore the coaches love him. Day also is a break glass kinda guy who was thrown back to stop a run on. His effectiveness defensively won him the medal imo

Same. I'd love to know what the coaches were looking for when considering their votes. Did Day perform a few more team-oriented roles?

I suppose when looking at the stats Newcombe has sub 20 touches three times, whilst Day only had sub 20 once. That was probably the difference right there.

Day did a little more work off the ball, he certainly helped with screens at centre bounces which allowed Worpel and Newcombe with easy centre clearances. When Day was at Centre Bounces, Hawthorn had recorded the 6th best win rate of any team since they started recording stats.

In the end he only won by two votes, so really nothing in it between the two.

Worth remembering that Will plugged gaps for us across half back and didn't look out of place either. So, the coaches must've been very impressed with a young buck doing al things required for the team without cracking the Sads .
Obviously he's a inside mid gun! But like , Dare I say Hodge, he can play on all three lines. Now, to just fix up that horrendous set shot kicking!
Well done and deserved on his maiden pcm.

The top 4 is case in point why Mitchell and O’Meara were moved on. Plus the growth in ward, cmac and Mackenzie.

Of course damo won’t see it like that.

Same. I'd love to know what the coaches were looking for when considering their votes. Did Day perform a few more team-oriented roles?

I suppose when looking at the stats Newcombe has sub 20 touches three times, whilst Day only had sub 20 once. That was probably the difference right there.
Seriously doubt the number of possessions accumulated in discrete games was what made the difference. More likely defensive / sacrificial efforts (which coaches love and can spot when reviewing tape)

I don't get why so many posters are baffled that Day won the PCM over Newcombe. Day also won the Yabby, so the consensus on this forum was that he had the better year. You might be disappointed by the outcome but there is nothing surprising about it.
Might be cause we all have Newks amazing result in the Brownlow still fresh in our minds (18 votes and top ten finish).

Yes the Yabby is always an excellent guide to the PCM which goes to show that collectively at least the footy knowledge on this forum is actually pretty good.

Mixed emotions for me. Duke has quickly become my favourite player since Hodge left and I really thought he was going to take it home, so a bit disappointed there. On the flip side, I love Day too so am happy for him as well.

Ultimately, a Hawk is going to win it, so any "disappointment" is relative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously doubt the number of possessions accumulated in discrete games was what made the difference. More likely defensive / sacrificial efforts (which coaches love and can spot when reviewing tape)
I doubt J2S was referring to possessions alone making the difference, more using the possessions to indicate variability in performance. Day's performances were less variable, meaning more potential games polled which means more potential votes. Newcombe's best performances were no doubt better, but still limited by the amount of votes possible in a single round.

As KermitJagger said.

Also, it's not the possession tallies themselves, but those tallies highlight that they had quieter games and thus less likely to get votes.

Might be cause we all have Newks amazing result in the Brownlow still fresh in our minds (18 votes and top ten finish).

Yes the Yabby is always an excellent guide to the PCM which goes to show that collectively at least the footy knowledge on this forum is actually pretty good.
If anyone said 4 men running around umpiring all day and then voting 3-2-1 no more than 60 minutes after a game was a superior means of determining who played well in a game….

as opposed to

….the coaches watching the game on tape for hours in end and then assessing their own players

I’d think we’d all have a good laugh.

Brownlow voting became an outdated system the moment every club was able to tape their games and watch them back in the cold light of day.

Will Day is a deserved PCM winner for that very reason.

As KermitJagger said.

Also, it's not the possession tallies themselves, but those tallies highlight that they had quieter games and thus less likely to get votes.
I’m suggesting higher votes to Day may have nothing to do with possession tallies and everything to do with work without ball in hand.

Day is more defensively minded / sacrificial as a midfielder. He does those little things in contested situation to help his team mates out that coaches love.

Not sure it's been said already but the top 10 were acquired as follows:

1) Pick #13
2) Pick #2 MSD
3) Category B International Rookie
4) Pick #47
5) Pick #56
6) Pick #67 (pick received from below trade)
7) Traded in with #67 for Picks #33, #61 and F4
8) Free Agent
9) Pick #44
10) Pick #47 Rookie Draft

1) Pick #13
2) Pick #2 MSD
4) Pick #47
5) Pick #56
8) Free Agent
9) Pick #44

all relative to our list but we need more elite talent.

the wards, Mackenzie's, mcdonalds, weddles hopefully will be shooting up the board as soon as next yr

1) Pick #13
2) Pick #2 MSD
4) Pick #47
5) Pick #56
8) Free Agent
9) Pick #44
Screams 'finished 16th'

Congratulations to the top 10 PCM vote getters

View attachment 1824934
Day - had a breakout year, his body has matured and he looks like a star out there weaving through traffic

Newcombe - a real bull in the engine room, threw around his weight a bit more and his penetrating kicks are impactful

Nash - he looked in great shape this pre-season and throws his weight around which helps generate space, he also won a lot of hard ball in the middle and provided run and support, great development and faith from Sam

Worpel - back to his best now that he gets to play his role, has the best chaos balls in the League lol

Sicily - another top tier year, if he didnt get those ridiculous suspensions he wouldve gone close to winning back to back

Moore - took on the responsibility of VC and it weighed on him a bit early, but played well and is a good option for Leadership going forward

Impey - had a great year, stepped up to a new level, also showed great courage and leadership through action which surprised me

Amon - he is just quality on the outside, these are the types of trades/FA that we should be targeting, fantastic performer

Hardwick - he is the man on opponent small forwards, tough as nails, wins 1v1s and shuts down big names, what more could you ask for?

Breust - still performing, cant wait to see him go around again next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back