Game Day 2023 Grand Final : Pies v Lions

Who wins the 2023 AFL Grand Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last 64 years, Hawthorn and Collingwood have appeared in 34 grand finals without meeting each other once.

More than 50% of all grand finals since 61 represented by 2 teams.
Ripping bit of trivia this!

Good narrative to rectify this next season. Let's make it so! :grinv1:

I see us getting a lot of growth in this next year, goals from our mids are such a bonus. Newcomb, Worp's, Day (will improve front of goals) MacDonald Ward Mackenzie with Hustwaite and Amon's left foot. Kicking goals from 50 out was a great advantage for the Pies yesterday, we have a few who play thru the middle and can do just that!
Plus Sammy and MM trading in a few more speedy left footers.
I've been banging on about this for yonks, helps our forwards out if they are struggling.

He’s a bang average mid-sized forward, but he competes consistently.
Average? He's a 192cm gut running forward rated elite in kicking, marking and bleeds for his team. I'd love to have more forwards with these attributes.

Exactly - was posted here preseason when the FoxFooty (?) Pies best 22 was published, and many smirked at the line-up.

I remember it clearly. Couldn’t understand the criticism then, and still don’t now.

The Pies got multiple goals out of Crisp & De Goey, plus singles to Pendles, N. Daicos & Sidebottom.

That’s 7 of their 12 for the day.

They have excellent goal kicking mids who know when and where to get used inside 50. Opposition midfields simply don’t defend that often enough.
Their mids certainly saved their day.
Apart from Hill their forward line stunk it up.
Elliot disappeared late this season inc. finals. Probably injured and they still get home.

Average? He's a 192cm gut running forward rated elite in kicking, marking and bleeds for his team. I'd love to have more forwards with these attributes.
Averages just over 2 marks inside 50 a game. Average.

Goal accuracy of 56%. Average.

Contested marks. Average.

He’s slightly better than average in a bunch of other metrics, but he’s no underated star.

He is consistent and gives effort.

That is an incredible stat.
On another note, Hawthorn have participated themselves, in 19 grand finals in that time. (also that HAW COLL stat didn't include the repeat GF's after the draw. They only counted as 1 gf)

In the last 64 years, Hawthorn and Collingwood have appeared in 34 grand finals without meeting each other once.

More than 50% of all grand finals since 61 represented by 2 teams.

A few years ago I had a strangely realistic dream of a hawks magpies grand final and it’s not happened yet. Perhaps it will

In a really tight game, will the lions rue the slackness that gave Pendles his only goal in a grand final ever.

I Reckon, just like the dees, that they will rue their lack of discipline and the 3 x 50m penalties

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how many of our 2012 Grand Final team treated their off-season as a break. Fages should break out that Pink song at the Lions B & F.

Koscitzke would do wonders at the pies.

McStay + Mihocek >>>> Kozi.

The Pies have a good balance in their forward line but it can be improved on but not with Kozi.

If I was Fly I'd be looking for a player like Lewis and have McStay play as a mobile forward/ruck who will move into Mihoceks role when he retires.

They'll rue having 6 or so players who had quite games and performed below expectation .
Bar Frampton the Pies has pretty much everyone contributing on the day.
Hoskin Elliot and Ginnivan say hi.

But yes, Lions bottom 6 were just that, Hipwood couldn't get his hands on it consistently.
Rayner need to do more, harsh but he is a number 1 draft pick.
In the last McInerny seemed to struggle, with Cox winning a majority of the hit outs.

He’s a bang average mid-sized forward, but he competes consistently.

He'd be great foil for Lewis.

Was a big fan of his at Port Melbourne when he was dominating at CHB. Never thought he'd end up being a Premiership CHF but here we are.

Here is an example of why I don't pay a lot of attention to stats, particularly "Fantasy Footy" stats. Frampton had one job - preventing Andrews from having any impact on the game. He did it well.

f8f2ae9d6c794a3499d14b7dcb5cf328eecfa8af

Here is an example of why I don't pay a lot of attention to stats, particularly "Fantasy Footy" stats. Frampton had one job - preventing Andrews from having any impact on the game. He did it well.

Andrews had a much better game than anybody is giving him credit for.

16 disposals.
9 marks.
8 intercept possessions.
2 free kicks in marking contests and an intercept mark in the tense final quarter with the game on the line.

If advantage hadn't been paid, and the Lions ended up premiers, would anybody still be saying Frampton with his 2 touches in 82% game time did a good job?

Frampton dropped 4 or 5 easy marks.
if the pill was a bag of sh!te, he would still be licking it from his face today.

Back