18. Daniel Giansiracusa - small forward
19. Daniel Bandy - backman, ruck
20. Luke Penny - backman
21. Lindsay Gilbee - midfield
22. Trent Bartlett - back, forward, alrounder
23. Mark Alvey - not good enough
24. Mitchelle Hahn - not good enough
25. Aaron James - not good enough

Our top 12 are the only decent players we have, but Bowden has impressed me so far this season.

My order is:

1) Grant (most under rated in league)
2) West (in top 5 midfielders in league)
3) Johnson (champion, set for another big year)
4) Darcy (crucial player, best ruckmen at getting ball)
5) Brown (all class)
6) Smith (wins games off own boot, capable of doing it more often though)
7) Croft (very under rated and reliable)
8) Hunter (a bomb ready to explode, versatile, exciting)
9) Harrison (most versatile player, gets job done whereever he plays)
10) Liberatore (adds toughness and still wins possessions)
11) Giansiracusa (very classy, set for big year)
12) Bandy (very athletic, great for Darce, and can play back and forward)
13) Kretiuk (absolute legend, tough as nails)
14) Robbins (provides good run, but fades, needs to produce more often)
15) Garlick (handy goalkicker, but needs to do it more often)
16) Murphy (silky, needs to get bigger)
17) Eagleton (disappointing so far, great disposal but needs to toughen up)
18) Penny (solid defender, needs to hold down CHB)
19) Bowden (looks good in pre season, hopefully takes next step)
20) Dimattina (very tough, good ball winner but disposal a worry)
21) Hahn (tough, needs more consistency)
22) Bartlett 9works hard, playing well ATM. Needs to mark more, and to slow)
23) Mark Alvey (last chance, has the skills but needs to become a regular)
24) Lindsay Gilbee (good future, needs to ake another step this year)
25) Jordan MacMahon (brilliant future, still a bit raw)
26) Marcus Picken (might be handy, but nothing real special)
27) Aaron James (loveable, knows what he is meant to dio, just can't execute it)
28) Patrick Wiggins (needs a big year, yet to show anything at top level)
29) Shannon Rusca (haven't seen him play enough)

Good work Bulldogs (can't say the same about the Power guys :D )

All we are missing from the regulars is PC, LastCall, Bulldogs1 and WWB. Apologies if I missed any of the regular analysts.

Originally posted by Bulldog1954
My order is:
8) Hunter (a bomb ready to explode, versatile, exciting)

Only 8! As a member of the Kingsley Hunter fan club, I am shocked and appalled by this display of treason!

But seriously, your analysis seems like a fair one; I think the Dogs might struggle this season, but Kingsley could be set for a sensational year.

Originally posted by wagstaff

Only 8! As a member of the Kingsley Hunter fan club, I am shocked and appalled by this display of treason!

But seriously, your analysis seems like a fair one; I think the Dogs might struggle this season, but Kingsley could be set for a sensational year.

As a member of the Kinsley Hunter fan club you should have done more research. You obviously haven't read the thread realting to the Bulldogs BF best and Fairest. There you will see an award in the name of Kingsley has been proposed to celebrate the player who performs the most freakish et. al. deed in 2002. Never in Bulldogs history has an honour such as this been bestowed upon one so relatively youthful in his career with a club so richly endowed with illustrious and symbolic football legends.

Originally posted by The Doctor

All we are missing from the regulars is PC, LastCall, Bulldogs1 and WWB. Apologies if I missed any of the regular analysts.

Hmmmm...i can't think of anybody else either!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by wagstaff

I didn't want to apear bias.

But please don't accuse me of treason sonny jim. I have spent countless hours tributing the man who holds such a special place in my heart.

But your right, Kinger is set for a big big year. All the Kingsley bashers who think he is a dud obviously haven't seen him in 2 years and definitely haven't seen him this pre-season. He really has played extremely well and would have to have been close to, if not out best player in the Wizard Cup. He provides an extraordinary amount of run, has strong hands, can play on littles or bigs and can be moved forward. Is there anything this man can't do

1. Chris Grant
2. Scott West
3. Luke Darcy
4. Brad Johnson
5. Nathan Brown
6. Matthew Croft
7. Rohan Smith
8. Kingsley Hunter
9. Matthew Robbins
10. Daniel Giansiracusa
11. Daniel Bandy
12. Luke Penny
13. Steve Kretiuk
14. Nathan Eagleton
15. Paul Dimatina
16. Ben Harrison
17. Tony Liberatore
18. Robert Murphy
19. Mitchell Hahn
20. Patrick Bowden
21. Simon Garlick
22. Lindsay Gilbee
23. Mark Alvey
24. Jordan McMahon
25. Trent Bartlett
26. Aaron James
27. Marcus Picken
28. Pat Wiggins
29. Shannon Rusca

Interesting list. Three things stood out:

a) the top 7 is an good as any in the league;

b) after the first 7 the list drops off dramatically

c) i was really surprised to see Matthew Croft so high.

Let me say this straight away, the Doggies have a superior list to that of my lot.
However, there is no way that Daniel Bandy would be our 11th most important player, nor would Kingsley Hunter slot in at 8th.

IMHO The Doggies, to make the finals, not only need their excellent leaders (Grant, West, Darcy and Johnson) to have great years but they also need 2 or 3 kids to take the step and become consistent contributors.
The likes of Hahn, Murphy, Bowden and McMahon have the talent to take that step from bit player to genuine contributors.

If all that goes right i expect you to finish between 5th-8th, if that doesn't happen i would expect you to finish between 9th-14th.

Let the attacks start :D

1) Chris Grant (One of the modern-day greats)
2) Scott West (Ball magnet)
3) Luke Darcy (Wouldve been #2 if Bandy wasnt here)
4) Brad Johnson (Tremendous heart)
5) Matthew Croft (Work ethic is second to none)
6) Kingsley Hunter (Shoe-in to win his own award)
7) Nathan Brown (Sublime skills but needs further maturing)
8) Daniel Bandy (Will fill in a few holes this year)
9) Rohan Smith (Needs to stop dining on past performances)
10) Tony Liberatore (Wouldn't mind a younger duplicate)
11) Daniel Giansiracusa (Looks assured, never ruffled)
12) Steve Kretiuk (Vital he stays injury free)
13) Matthew Robbins (Midfield role beckons if he can last 4 qtrs)
14) Ben Harrison (Solid contributor, probably cant offer any more than what he has already given)
15) Robert Murphy (A bulkier version would be more valuable)
16) Simon Garlick (Handy impact player)
17) Mitchell Hahn (Robust, adds a different dimension)
18) Paul Dimattina (Plays on emotion, can be an inspiration)
19) Trent Bartlett (Last chance will spur him on to greater things)
20) Luke Penny (Consistent form this year wishful thinking?)
21) Patrick Bowden (Wizard form looked ominous)
22) Lindsay Gilbee (Exciting prospect, should be a regular)
23) Nathan Eagleton (Needs to toughen up and get his hands dirty)
24) Mark Alvey (Has proven he can do it, needs to secure regular spot)
25) Jordon McMahon (Exhilirating prospect, needs to mature)
26) Marcus Picken (Barely sighted)
27) Pat Wiggins (Barely sighted)
28) Shannon Rusca (Barely sighted)
29) Aaron James (Barely sighted away from the pub)

Originally posted by phatandphreaky

Let the attacks start :D

No attacks on honest appraisals around here, mate ... a spot on analysis from an outside perspective I thought.

Our second tier (I split my list up to show the gaping hole between 1-6 and 7-16) is our biggest problem.

As useful (and sexy) as someone like Hunter is, realistically, someone of his ilk really shouldn't be regarded in the top 10 of an AFL list. Ditto a 'battler' like Croft. Both are a good size and can do a job, have ok skills and all the heart in the world etc, but at the end of the day, if they continue to be in our top 10 over the next few seasons, we won't be premiership material. Same with Harrison. These guys are good, serviceable players, and do have a role to play in the structure of the team ... but they should be our 'depth' players, not second tier blokes we're relying on to step up during the big matches.

Bandy I'll reserve judgement on for a while yet. Has the ability and attributes to step up into our elite bracket fairly quickly, IMO. Only question marks I had before recruiting him were decision making/footy smarts, disposal, and determination (or laziness) to get the best out of himself. On the first two, I've been very pleasantly suprised. On the last one, only time will tell whether he can mantain his motivation and work ethic througout the season, and more importantly, the rest of his career with us.

Cheers for your analysis ... It'll be an interesting hit out against you guys tomorrow to see how both sides are shaping up for the season.

Hey dont knock Crofty! He has performed admirably on opponents that he is physically unsuited to play on, simply because there was nobody else. With Hunter, Bandy and Penny thrown into the mix to match up on the really talls or athletic types, Croft can be given the Barry Hall types and he will take them to the cleaners.

Im tipping Hunter, Bandy and Robbo to suprise everyone this year. I thought we looked great against essendon with Hunter, Bandy and Darce all presenting themselves outside the arc at the kickouts. The stupid "huddle" against Port failed miserably.

Another point on Eagleton is I think he is our leading player in goal assists.He is atleast second.For someone with such a good kick he certainly has a handy knack of getting out a little handpass.Everytime he plays midfield for a game he gets in the best besides the North game but David King is a good footballer.Either Wallace knows something we dont(no accountability lack of fitness???) or he has been harshly dealt with in the amount of time he spent in the midfield last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.Grant
2.West
3.Darcy
4.Brown
5.Johnno
6.Smith
7.Croft
8.Robbins
9.Hunter
10.Libba
11.Kretiuk
12.Giansiracusa
13.Murphy
14.Hahn
15.Eagleton
16.McMahon
17. Alvey
18.Bandy
19.Penny
20.Harrison
21.Dimma
22.Gilbee
23.Bowden
24.James
25.Garlick
26.Picken
27.Wiggins
28.Ruska
29.Bartlett

Originally posted by sigscotty

:( It was my not being there that that comment was bout. :(

Whoops sorry all. I think I'm responsible for this raucous. I thought you had posted Sig. Must have got my threads mixed up. Apologies again. So when can we expect your rankings Sig?

Whoops sorry all. I think I'm responsible for this raucous. I thought you had posted Sig. Must have got my threads mixed up. Apologies again. So when can we expect your rankings Sig?

LOL Doc.

Typical arrogant me needs a personal invite to post a list. hehe

In reality, we probably just told you who your most useful players against Port are :D

These rankings were posted prior to the opening bounce of the 2002 season. It is so interesting seeing Kingsley Hunter (after his seven goals against Melbourne in the final game of 2001) being ranked so highly.

Murphy, Giansiracusa, Gilbee and McMahon were all ranked fairly low by most of us.

X_box_X said:
These rankings were posted prior to the opening bounce of the 2002 season. It is so interesting seeing Kingsley Hunter (after his seven goals against Melbourne in the final game of 2001) being ranked so highly.

Murphy, Giansiracusa, Gilbee and McMahon were all ranked fairly low by most of us.

That guy ... was ... and will forever be .. a stallion.

Long live the eyebrows. Or eyebrow - which ever ;)

X_box_X said:

Where would you have ranked Isaac Thompson and Brad Murphy prior to this season?They were just kids and the thread was done on there current ranking as opposed to future ranking.

Very hard to do a current one.IMO Brian Harris had a fairly ordinary year for what it could have been but he would still be ranked close to number 1 for us in terms of importance.Tentative top dozen or so in no particular order would be

Harris
West
Cross
Johnson
Darcy
Grant
Gilbee
Hargrave
Cooney
Mcmahon
Murphy
Guido
Minson

West and Cross would rank very high in terms of importance because of there ability to win loose and hard ball gets as well as having our highest tackle and clearance stats.Darcy,Grant and Harris would be right up there because of there height and importance to our structure.Hargrave and Minson give us versatility with our talls and Gilbee and Mcmahon provide a vital component of our game plan.Guido and Murphy represent 200 gamers for us and Cooney is our best inside/outside player.Cooney will probably be in the top 5 by the years end.

Far to hard to put them into any sort of order as none of them would be easily replaced in our side.Most would suggest that Gilbee and Mcmahon are dime a dozen and we would easily find more running half backs but when Mcmahon and Smith were out injured about 3/4 of the way through the year we fell in a hole and generated no run from defence.

If this exercise proves anything it is that our depth is improving out of sight.

I'll TRY to do a current one (assuming of course that Bandy is gone and that I don't rank those with 0 in the games tally).

1. West
2. Johnson
3. Grant
4. Smith
5. Darcy
6. R.Murphy
7. Harris
8. Cooney
9. Cross
10. Giansiracusa
11. Gilbee
12. Minson