• C+

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 13 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would like to have someone like Skinner on the list - the ruck/fwd prospect to round us off nicely.

So Dal was going for Dunkley with pick 11 but traded down to get his man with Collins the bonus - he was 'shocked' collins dropped that far. Funny we all assumed that Collins was the main target and Dunkley the bonus, but no, not with Dal.

Q) Even if Josh turns out to be a good honest inside mid, does that help us more than if Skinner turns out to be a good honest CHF?

If Skinner makes it, Dunkley will have to be the next incarnation of Cripps or Watson to have a bigger impact on our list, I reckon.

Would like to have someone like Skinner on the list - the ruck/fwd prospect to round us off nicely.

So Dal was going for Dunkley with pick 11 but traded down to get his man with Collins the bonus - he was 'shocked' collins dropped that far. Funny we all assumed that Collins was the main target and Dunkley the bonus, but no, not with Dal.

Q) Even if Josh turns out to be a good honest inside mid, does that help us more than if Skinner turns out to be a good honest CHF?

If Skinner makes it, Dunkley will have to be the next incarnation of Cripps or Watson to have a bigger impact on our list, I reckon.
Skinner is a tall skinny injury prone forward/ruck
I wouldn't be to upset we didn't get him. Dal knows what he's doing. I'm sure we will find our man in next years draft
May even swing a trade for Peter weight from the Suns, or someone similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very happy. Dunkley is basically a free pick, for all we know we could have taken Collins at 11 anyway but instead we still got him & a talented big bodied midfielder who could be something good. Adams is a ready to go option we needed & like most I'm not sure about Williams, but hey who knows what he can be. I'll go with A-

good way to look at it

Riley Bonner is obviously a mummy's boy. Why else would he have slipped so low for a kid who has borderline elite disposal on both feet?

Very unsure about Collins. I hope he hasn't reached his peak too early

I think that's a valid concern considering the sides who overlooked him and grabbed someone like Ben McKay first.
They think there is probably more upside in others.
But that's not being critical but just realistic of the things we need to watch or be concerned about.

I gave us a B+ for the draft itself.

Collins and Adams simply had to be picked IMO given the balance of our list was out.
If one of the two becomes a regular full back / key back its a win. Amazing we got access to Collins.

As for Dunkley - I'm going to have to put faith in our team. However from what I had seen I had questioned his ball use.
The swans backed this up somewhat with their statement as to why they didnt take him.
This was backed up by an AFL scout I spoke to who mentioned speed and kicking was a worry. also suggested he was always last to leave a stoppage which is a interesting thing that they look at. looked into his VFL games for tigers and didnt really set the world alight.

Williams is hard to bag but his video showed alot of X Factor and tricks. Club did well having a crack.

Skinner is a tall skinny injury prone forward/ruck
I wouldn't be to upset we didn't get him. Dal knows what he's doing. I'm sure we will find our man in next years draft
May even swing a trade for Peter weight from the Suns, or someone similar

We can always try to trade, sure. If we had traded successfully this year we would have Lobbe instead of Dunkley and Collins. Maybe we will have more luck getting rid of early draft picks next year.

The only reason I mentioned Skinner is because other posters said we were into him and were probably going to get him with our last pick if Brisbane didnt, so the scope was there to go Collins, Adams, Skinner, if we were so inclined. Actually that never would have happened because if we werent into Dunkley we would not have traded down, and we wouldnt have accidentally drafted Collins, so I guess cant question too much - sometimes lady luck smiles.

Nothing against Josh - at all. But in list management terms he is going to have to be really bloody good to have an impact in our side with the young guys already in front of him in the big-bodied/contested mid stakes. Whereas a CHF prospect currently is competing only with Jack Redpath who has already done two knees himself (knock on wood).

I continue to wish we'd drafted Bonner instead of Dunkley. I would love some young, tall, two-sided highly-skilled players to replace our ageing HB line.

Having said that, I am extremely pleased with the other 3 picks, we basically got Dunkley for free, I understand the need for another player with his attributes, and Dal seems super-sure about him. So I really shouldn't complain.

I am just going to be keeping a sad eye on Bonner over the next decade I fear. As I did with Lachie Henderson (J. Grant's year).

Nup, we got Collins for free.

Dunkley surprised me as our first choice. If he were to get a game, with Libba, Wallis and Stevens, then we are looking a bit one paced. Getting another big inside mid is essential if we are to challenge the tougher sides like the Eagles and the Hawks. I understand that. However I don't believe we can play all of them at once. Where's the burst speed from that lot?

I believe Jong to be the key. Because he is not a natural footballer and because he throws himself into the contest, he tends to get injured and then take longer to regain his rhythm (such as it is) and confidence. A huge pre-season needed to get his fitness and endurance up so that he can be "on song' for longer. His burst away speed will be most needed if we are loading up on grunt midfielders. For mine, Stevens could be the player under pressure if Dunkley comes on. And what becomes of Wallis if Libba gets back to his best?

I'm all for improving our list but those who complained we were recruiting too many smaller players might now be wondering if we are getting too many midfielders whose disposal is not elite and who lack genuine foot speed.

Dunkley has all the other characteristics I love in a player, particularly character and leadership. But my guess is that, in time, he comes into our team at the expense of, not in addition to, one of our favourite players.

I've fist pumped like 23 times since the draft, i'm still so happy we landed who we did. Especially Collins amd Adams, but the two mids both have very likeable parts of their games

Dunkley surprised me as our first choice. If he were to get a game, with Libba, Wallis and Stevens, then we are looking a bit one paced. Getting another big inside mid is essential if we are to challenge the tougher sides like the Eagles and the Hawks. I understand that. However I don't believe we can play all of them at once. Where's the burst speed from that lot?

I believe Jong to be the key. Because he is not a natural footballer and because he throws himself into the contest, he tends to get injured and then take longer to regain his rhythm (such as it is) and confidence. A huge pre-season needed to get his fitness and endurance up so that he can be "on song' for longer. His burst away speed will be most needed if we are loading up on grunt midfielders. For mine, Stevens could be the player under pressure if Dunkley comes on. And what becomes of Wallis if Libba gets back to his best?

I'm all for improving our list but those who complained we were recruiting too many smaller players might now be wondering if we are getting too many midfielders whose disposal is not elite and who lack genuine foot speed.

Dunkley has all the other characteristics I love in a player, particularly character and leadership. But my guess is that, in time, he comes into our team at the expense of, not in addition to, one of our favourite players.

But then again, we looked lights on for clearance players at times this year. Clay is (sadly) a high risk now. Libba some risk (re-injury). Stevens has not been a consistent lock (but was good this year). Jong still has question marks. So we aren't that stacked. Dunkley also has some versatility by the sounds. Agree though that Stevens (and Clay) probably the most under threat by Dunkley.

We missed Skinner by 1 pick, as mentioned in another thread, Brisbane have a fair list of KPPs to try and hold on to. Given we still have the rookie draft, i'd have thought a ruck-ruck/fwd would be more likely there considering they're likely to be a project player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very happy that we've picked up two players who appear capable of filling the full back slot.
For me, Roberts was a default selection in the "best 22".
Don't forget Roberts is capable of playing as a forward which in turn can put Redpath under pressure....last night has really balanced this list nicely....maybe a mobile ruckman and genuine pacy midfielder...

I think the "peaked too early" concerns with Collins are valid but not really troublesome for us. The benefit of the way we play is that we don't need a superstar down back; we need a big body who can hold his own in contests and play as our deepest defender. Just his presence will allow our other defenders more confidence in peeling off and attacking, and it will aid in our defence of both the high ball and opposition attack once it gets through our press. He will still have a bit of growth/strength in him (he's not even 18 yet) and that will hold him in good stead to play the role we need him to, even if he doesn't develop into a star key defender.

Love Collins and think he'll be fantastic for us, regardless of whether he has as much upside as others.

My favourite pick in this draft is Marcus Adams. Looks like a player who will be ready to play almost straight away with enormous potential and traits that will translate well to AFL level. Would anyone complain if he were used up forward with his power/speed/marking allowing Stringer more midfield time with possibly not much lost up forward? With Collins, Zordy and Hamling down back and Roberts, Morris still able to fill key posts I think our backline looks pretty strong anyway. It may not happen this year but I see it as a real possibility going forward. Adams just adds to our versatility.

My second favourite pick is our last one. Bailey Williams looks like he has huge upside and talent and has already some elite athletic traits (agility, maybe not elite but has good endurance). His stand out playing traits seem to be in tight where he has great hands and great decision making by hand under pressure but he can also get on the outside and link up by hand. He would not look out of place when we go on one of our lightning handball chains, you know the ones where it looks like we are going too fast for ourselves then magically someone bursts into the clear.

The Collins pick I feel was the most necessary. He has great size for his position which is something we haven't had a great run of in key backs lately. He is also terrific one on one which to be frank our key backs weren't great at either especially Talia. He needs some work on his kicking, in his highlights video he had some brian lake syndrome where his short kicks had a strange trajectory but his long kicks looked ok. He also appears to need improvement in his body shape but he's only 17 so he has time on his side. He is a lockdown defender though so if he can lockdown on the opposition's most dangerous, big forward say a Hawkins or Kennedy then he'd be worth every bit of this pick. I am confident he has the tools to do the job.

Finally the Dunkley pick, our first. This to me was our surprise pick of the draft not because of the name but because of his playing style. He is a low risk possibly high reward type of player where if he can improve in certain areas he could be a real unique asset to our team. He is the right size to be a modern inside mid so hopefully Bevo can get the absolute best out of him and he can become a Mick Barlow type - a good inside mid with height who is good defensively and can sneak forward and take a mark and kick a goal. Smart ball user so must be consistent with his ball use to really succeed.

Overall I have given us a B+ as I think we drafted well. We let a few skilled players slide but I am not too worried and I can see our list really taking shape if we have again nailed the draft. All the holes in the list seem to have been filled except the ruck position so hopefully our midfield can help make up for this and by next season we have an above average ruck who can get to marking contests around the ground. If we draft Nyuon in the rookie Draft I'd give our off season an A+.

I think the "peaked too early" concerns with Collins are valid but not really troublesome for us. The benefit of the way we play is that we don't need a superstar down back; we need a big body who can hold his own in contests and play as our deepest defender. Just his presence will allow our other defenders more confidence in peeling off and attacking, and it will aid in our defence of both the high ball and opposition attack once it gets through our press. He will still have a bit of growth/strength in him (he's not even 18 yet) and that will hold him in good stead to play the role we need him to, even if he doesn't develop into a star key defender.

Love Collins and think he'll be fantastic for us, regardless of whether he has as much upside as others.

Lets be honest he is as strong as talia in the contest right now. So if looking on improvements from last year we are already up

Lets be honest he is as strong as talia in the contest right now. So if looking on improvements from last year we are already up
No way he's already peaked when he's 17 and he was rated the most improved player from the draft! Sky is the limit for his development. As soon as he builds a tank he will be a weapon

No way he's already peaked when he's 17 and he was rated the most improved player from the draft! Sky is the limit for his development. As soon as he builds a tank he will be a weapon

I agree, it's never fair on a kid to say he's peaked when he's this young and you can see areas where he can improve dramatically. I agree he doesn't need to be much more than a role player for us but he has a chance to be above average at his position if he puts in the hard yards. No doubt that he will too.

Whilst I'm not ultra excited about Dunkley. It seems his body type plus marking offers us enough flexibility to play Libba, Wallis and Stevens. His type offers us far more options than say Honeychurch and Hrovat for instance. Adding Dunkley could also free up Bont to play fwd or even back, anywhere except ruck really for Bont.

Big fan of the prioritising of character when combined with a flexible big body type. Reckon these types make good finals players.

If he is good enough (and I think he will be) he will find a spot I'd think. List position wise the guy Dunkley puts pressure on is Smith who sadly seems only a long shot now IMO.

No obvious candidates yet to take on the Murphy role, running off half-back. Wood is great but can't do what Murphy does. Needs a classy player with reasonable height (close to 190), dash, vision and excellent delivery. We passed on the opportunity for Bonner etc but someone like that would be my next wish.

I still think Webb will be that player. Hopefully anyway.

I'm not as worried about the Murphy role since we've added Suckling this year. That Williams guy also looks like he has a few of Murphy's traits anyway, just not quite as good with his kicking though.

Last edited:
Back