Votes: 2 1.2%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 13 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I come in peace.

Firstly, **** ya for taking Collins and Adams :)
From which, you went to "like" my little outburst post in our drafting thread :p
Well played.

Good luck with both though, especially Adams.
I actually don't know heaps about him but the little I saw and the fact he's tall and from WA (yeah it's that desperate for us) made me want him.
I did head over for a read myself... made for quite an entertaining read between pages 12 - 18. :)

I come in peace.

Firstly, **** ya for taking Collins and Adams :)
From which, you went to "like" my little outburst post in our drafting thread :p
Well played.

Good luck with both though, especially Adams.
I actually don't know heaps about him but the little I saw and the fact he's tall and from WA (yeah it's that desperate for us) made me want him.

Sorry mate ;)
Should've taken Adams at 27, I fully expected you to

That's why I always struggle to rate drafts. In 08 I was absolutely rapt about the type we drafted because if they developed as hoped we would havehad two ultra athletic rucks who showed huge potential forward and a contested marking, athletic monster CHF. Unfortunately we ended up with an injury plagued VFL ruck, a Mr fix-it type and whatever Liam Jones is.
In comparison I was a little weary of the types we picked last year (without jumping up and down about it), but pretty much all our 2014 draftees look like quality.

That's why I try to be a bit more measured than your average punter when it comes to rating drafts.

Fair enough. I think our drafting and talent ID has improved since then, but it is a valid point.

My word it has. Clayton vs Dalrymple is night and day.
I wonder though, how much of it is the top guy and how much of it is the scouts who are at games? also additional resources that the dept would now have. Don't get me wrong, Dal has done alot better than Clayton but i just wonder if there are also outside influences contributing.

I wonder though, how much of it is the top guy and how much of it is the scouts who are at games? also additional resources that the dept would now have. Don't get me wrong, Dal has done alot better than Clayton but i just wonder if there are also outside influences contributing.
Don't think our scouts have changed all that much over the years but am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
But yes our whole recruiting department definitely has gone up a notch in professionalism.

Last edited:
Don't think our scouts have changed all that much over the years but am happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
But yes our whole recruiting department definitely has gone up a notch in professionalism.
Nev Stibbard has come over in the last couple if years with a vast amount of experience. Pugz may have a point re Dal being the chief getting the recognition for the indians in the background - but someone has to be the face/ ultimately accountable.

Who are our scouts? How many do we have? Are they bulldog men or more aligned to a particular recruiter?

Still haunted by our 2002 draft which looked great on paper but left us with only Minson in the end. Walsh, Faulkner, Murphy and Wight looked exciting prospects the day after the draft. I also remember Emma Quale giving us 9/10 for the 2008 draft, which ultimately left us with only Roughead. You just can't tell. That said, we gave ourselves a great opportunity by trading pick 11 and it may go some way to fixing our glaring key back issue so I'm hopeful.

Still haunted by our 2002 draft which looked great on paper but left us with only Minson in the end. Walsh, Faulkner, Murphy and Wight looked exciting prospects the day after the draft. I also remember Emma Quale giving us 9/10 for the 2008 draft, which ultimately left us with only Roughead. You just can't tell. That said, we gave ourselves a great opportunity by trading pick 11 and it may go some way to fixing our glaring key back issue so I'm hopeful.
Yeah but think about it Roughy will end up being a premiership player

Really happy about what we did get. I went B+ but only time will tell, we are still on the up so these guys will help us stay there. We have now become so professional in the way we are going about things. I'm so damn positive I feel for the first time in 50 yrs of me being a DOG that I KNOW we will win a premiership.

Yeah but think about it Roughy will end up being a premiership player
He's a good player but but look at how Jones and Cordy went. Not exactly a 9/10.

Generally I think Dalrymple has been very good but I actually find it odd that anyone can be declared a draft winner days after. People don't seem to understand that when a player 'slides' down the order it's only because other clubs don't select them.

Anyway, hopefully we've got two long term key defenders out of this one and I like the look of Dunkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a good player but but look at how Jones and Cordy went. Not exactly a 9/10.

Generally I think Dalrymple has been very good but I actually find it odd that anyone can be declared a draft winner days after. People don't seem to understand that when a player 'slides' down the order it's only because other clubs don't select them.

Anyway, hopefully we've got two long term key defenders out of this one and I like the look of Dunkley.

You can win a tactical battle in the draft and that is what we seem to have done. To trade down pick eleven and, as a result, draft two players that we rate much higher than 20/21 was a tactical win.

That those players slid only means that we rate them more highly than other clubs. Don't assume that that means we were wrong in our assessments. We seem to have had a pretty good recent track record of getting our ratings correct and I think we are among the very best clubs at assessing talent. I'd suggest that the odds are that the clubs that let Dunkley and Collins slide have made a mistake. We massively improved our list during very difficult times when most of the supposedly better kids went to the expansion clubs... and we did it without a raft of really high draft picks.

I am really happy with our draft, we targeted need, but with Dunkley took best available.

However the reality is that some of these players won't make it, but if at least one of our defenders does it will be a win.

The chance of players making it improves the higher in the draft they are. Also a lot of midfielders went early along with Adelaide taking a smokey which completely shook up the draft order and allowed us to get Collins.

You can win a tactical battle in the draft and that is what we seem to have done. To trade down pick eleven and, as a result, draft two players that we rate much higher than 20/21 was a tactical win.

That those players slid only means that we rate them more highly than other clubs. Don't assume that that means we were wrong in our assessments. We seem to have had a pretty good recent track record of getting our ratings correct and I think we are among the very best clubs at assessing talent. I'd suggest that the odds are that the clubs that let Dunkley and Collins slide have made a mistake. We massively improved our list during very difficult times when most of the supposedly better kids went to the expansion clubs... and we did it without a raft of really high draft picks.
Not necessarily a mistake. Some draft best available, no matter what; others go for needs. There are only a handful of clubs who were going hard for KPDs this draft, St Kilda for example wouldn't need a Collins, as they got Goddard last year. So not only is it about assessing talent as such, but also assessing each club's needs. I think that is where we got lucky with Collins specifically. And Dunkley, victim of circumstance more than anything imo. We purposely bid on them with our first pick which was higher value, off the back of them getting railed to keep Mills. That was tactical and could well pay off.

Not necessarily a mistake. Some draft best available, no matter what; others go for needs. There are only a handful of clubs who were going hard for KPDs this draft, St Kilda for example wouldn't need a Collins, as they got Goddard last year. So not only is it about assessing talent as such, but also assessing each club's needs. I think that is where we got lucky with Collins specifically. And Dunkley, victim of circumstance more than anything imo. We purposely bid on them with our first pick which was higher value, off the back of them getting railed to keep Mills. That was tactical and could well pay off.

If Dunkley is any good, then St Kilda may have made a mistake - they need midfield grunt...just as most sides do.

When I said that other clubs may have got it wrong, of course I meant collectively. I'm not saying that every club should have taken either Dunkley or Collins with their first round picks. I was responding to the earlier assertion that they were sliders and that the other clubs don't rate them, therefore they slid. That is of course correct...however I'd argue that our recent form suggests we are better at evaluating talent than most other clubs. We rated Dunkley and Collins both as first round talent and I'd suggest in all probability we'll eventually be proven to be right.

If Dunkley is any good, then St Kilda may have made a mistake - they need midfield grunt...just as most sides do.

When I said that other clubs may have got it wrong, of course I meant collectively. I'm not saying that every club should have taken either Dunkley or Collins with their first round picks. I was responding to the earlier assertion that they were sliders and that the other clubs don't rate them, therefore they slid. That is of course correct...however I'd argue that our recent form suggests we are better at evaluating talent than most other clubs. We rated Dunkley and Collins both as first round talent and I'd suggest in all probability we'll eventually be proven to be right.
Funny thing is, we took both in the second round :p

Funny thing is, we took both in the second round :p

Well that's the whole point isn't it?

We get two players we rate as mid first round talent and we get them in the second round by turning one mid first round pick into two second round picks. Tactical win for the Bulldogs.... unless both Collins and Dunkley are busts.

Even if only one of them meets our expectations, we haven't lost anything. We've effectively doubled our chances of getting an excellent AFL player with our original pick 11.

This was a shallow draft, with few stars likely to come out of it. we need to look at the drafted player types and see which players we got, to fill team needs:
KPD 2nd choice (behind pick 1)
Mature KPD 1st choice
Big Inside Mid/Forward 4th choice - excluding academy
Endurance Ruckman 1/2nd choice
Outside runners, low investment on high risk / reward types. Draft success is not determined by these guys.

So, we got the best mature KPD and the second best young KPD who is only 17.
Needed a big bodied inside mid and got 4th best non-academy choice, who is a better hard ball winner than nearly all of them. Ruckman who can run and therefore fits our system are rare and injuries will determine his success as much as his determination to succeed.
KPD not taken in first round traditionally have 40% chance of making it, let's hope 1 of our 2 picks makes it. If 1 makes it, draft grade 6/10, IF we get any other players making it, grade 8/10, if we get 3 players make it, then we have smashed this trade/draft period. 10/10.

Conservatively am expecting Adams to be our best from this draft and just hoping we found another good player out of the other 6 picked. Grade 6/10.

The great thing about Adams and Collins is that apart from D Talia, most key position defenders drafted are skinny tall kids who are years off debuting let alone holding down a spot. These 2 guys look like they could be playing next year and if all goes to plan, be holding down a key post when we are competing for a flag.

It is really quite incredible that two talented key defenders should fall to our picks, and that they are also both extremely physically advanced.

The great thing about Adams and Collins is that apart from D Talia, most key position defenders drafted are skinny tall kids who are years off debuting let alone holding down a spot. These 2 guys look like they could be playing next year and if all goes to plan, be holding down a key post when we are competing for a flag.

It is really quite incredible that two talented key defenders should fall to our picks, and that they are also both extremely physically advanced.

Words don't do that post justice

url

draft__1__gallery__598x400.jpg

MarcusAdams.jpg

CollinsPD620.JPG

Back