Autopsy 41pt loss to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Our team without our very best available, lost by a lesser margin and lead at half time, compared to last year's match, where we were able to bring pretty much our best selection of players and yet lost by 72 points, without leading at any break, and then being in great form, undefeated.

Our team without our very best available, lost by a lesser margin and lead at half time, compared to last year's match, where we were able to bring pretty much our best selection of players and yet lost by 72 points, without leading at any break, and then being in great form, undefeated.
Good point but I also think that says a bit about Hawthorn too.

Anyone else think Clarke contested well today? Showed some real intensity around the contest I thought. Something you can rarely say with him.
I agree, thought he got into some contests around the forward line and helped keep the ball in. Used his size a bit.

Finished with a decent number of tackles.

Not what we'd expect to consider his primary role, but he got amongst it.

My confidence has just taken a hit on this now :(!!!

hmmmm. Their goal after the siren win wasn't expected but I think Freo can certainly have a crack.. just so long as we don't turnover the ball laces out to them all the time.

Surely our blokes have had a guts-full of losing. Tigers are traveling two weeks in a row. Freo' have to make a stand some time.

hmmmm. Their goal after the siren win wasn't expected but I think Freo can certainly have a crack.. just so long as we don't turnover the ball laces out to them all the time.

Surely our blokes have had a guts-full of losing. Tigers are traveling two weeks in a row. Freo' have to make a stand some time.

They haven't been out of Melbourne for 4 weeks.

It's not just about the attitude of the players, it's also the appalling level of skills being displayed, the poor coaching/selection policies and the inability of the entire squad to play as unit for 4 quarters.

It wouldn't come as any surprise if we to lose every game this season.

It's not just about the attitude of the players, it's also the appalling level of skills being displayed, the poor coaching/selection policies and the inability of the entire squad to play as unit for 4 quarters.

It wouldn't come as any surprise if we to lose every game this season.
Don't know is it the system or anything else, peel is doing the same thing .

The question becomes - why have the skills degraded? As I understand - we've spent more time than ever on skills and game-simulations this pre-season than any other.

Are the players being taught the wrong thing? Or has the game plan not clicked yet and there's still confusion on 'where to run to' that causes indecision and poor skills?

The constant kicking out of bounds on the full is atrocious - and I would think suggests that if someone has been changing how our guys kick, they need to be moved on - or that our guys aren't taking that extra second or two to centre themselves.

Last edited:
The question becomes - why have the skills degraded? As I understand - we've spent more time than ever on skills and game-simulations this season than any other.

Are the players being taught the wrong thing? Or has the game plan not clicked yet and there's still confusion on 'where to run to' that causes indecision and poor skills?

The constant kicking out of bounds on the full is atrocious - and I would think suggests that if someone has been changing how our guys kick, they need to be moved on - or that our guys aren't taking that extra second or two to centre themselves.
Surely kicking is Guerra fault then.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with most points made here, some other contributions:

- Griffin: Really giving his all and finally looking unhampered by his knee, can't remember the last time I've seen a Freo player slot a goal from outside the 50 that wasn't on the run.
- Crozier: Isn't there yet, but so much more effective than any other game he's played this season. His reading of the ball and decision making was far better than I've seen previously. I know he's not too popular on here, but I feel he could amount to something much greater by the end of the year - he's never been able to string more than 5-6 games in a row, so hopefully they persevere with him.
- Taberner: Didn't kick a goal, but my God this guy has so much more presence than he did at the start of the year - he impacts every contest, he plays up the ground and either finds targets or hits them. If he managed to stick on to the ball just half a second more he'd have kicked a bag. Definitely worth persevering with.

The feed from half-back is truly the reason we can't win a game - Mundy can try his best to marshal the troops but the delivery from Sutcliffe, Ibbotson, Spurr et al is woeful. Our midfield has issues - i.e. Neale and D. Pearce's disposal, Suban just being there etc but it really all disintegrates back there. Hughes I feel is worth persevering with as is Grey if he can crack another game, but I really really hope Morabito can get a crack back there in the not too distant future because I think he might be our silent savior.

Taberner and to a lesser extent C. Pearce is proof that extended time in the WAFL can do wonders for your game; it truly is time for Sutcliffe to be sent back for a stint and give someone else a crack.

The question becomes - why have the skills degraded? As I understand - we've spent more time than ever on skills and game-simulations this pre-season than any other.

I think its a combination of confidence, players lacking skill, as well as being unsure/unable to execute the game plan.

The constant kicking out of bounds on the full is atrocious

Sonny kicked it straight out of bounds yesterday on the wing with zero external pressure??Had all the seconds in the universe to compose himself cos it was a mark or a free.
That means UFO's are influencing AFL games;maybe hooked up with 365 or Ladbrokes??

Sonny kicked it straight out of bounds yesterday on the wing with zero external pressure??Had all the seconds in the universe to compose himself cos it was a mark or a free.
That means UFO's are influencing AFL games;maybe hooked up with 365 or Ladbrokes??

So what do you think has created or influenced our guys to go backwards. I don't believe they all get progressively worse without a specific input to cause it

I think they are kicking to dangerous areas rather than padded stats with sideways kicks to loose men that get us nowhere.

Yeah, dangerous areas for us, like straight to an opposition player in midfield

Yeah, dangerous areas for us, like straight to an opposition player in midfield
Yep, corridor ball movement wins games when you hit the target but when you miss... Instant punishment.

That is why Lyon had us kicking up the boundary line to stoppages and pushing it over the boundary.

We did that because our team is still underskilled.

So what do you think has created or influenced our guys to go backwards. I don't believe they all get progressively worse without a specific input to cause it
I used that Sonny eg because he's arguably our best kick and really shouldn't be given any professional advice.
There's no doubt someone's been playing with their biomechanics.Maybe Guerra who had a devastating kick,but also an idiosyncratic lefty style. You can see it in more deliberate exacting ball drop,ensuring copybook body positioning before contact and most obvious is the deliberate/exaggerated follow through after contact.
All that take mindspace and time.
Anyhoo once technique becomes instinctual, improvement under pressure should follow.There will of course be some who never get it and hopefully they have other attributes.
As Tayl0r points out we're also looking to be risque under Ross.:eek:
At the minute we're caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

I used that Sonny eg because he's arguably our best kick and really shouldn't be given any professional advice.
There's no doubt someone's been playing with their biomechanics.Maybe Guerra who had a devastating kick,but also an idiosyncratic lefty style. You can see it in more deliberate exacting ball drop,ensuring copybook body positioning before contact and most obvious is the deliberate/exaggerated follow through after contact.
All that take mindspace and time.
Anyhoo once technique becomes instinctual, improvement under pressure should follow.There will of course be some who never get it and hopefully they have other attributes.
As Tayl0r points out we're also looking to be risque under Ross.:eek:
At the minute we're caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.
Scon sorry what is idiosyncratic lefty style.

Yep, corridor ball movement wins games when you hit the target but when you miss... Instant punishment.

That is why Lyon had us kicking up the boundary line to stoppages and pushing it over the boundary.

We did that because our team is still underskilled.

That is a gross simplification
He has had us selectively kicking the ball to the corridor with attacking intent since he came. Watch the 2012 EF and how McPhee and Duffield attacked the centre corridor from the back half whenever they could. Arguably one of the main reasons we lost the SF the next week was McPhee went from hero to zero and spudded it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back