Best Shirtfront You've Seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sziller gave Mil Hanna a beauty back in 1995. Was right in front of me at Waverley Park. was to be the Blues 2nd and last loss that year.. but Hanna went straight off and couldn't find the ball when they threw him back on in the last quarter.

Has anyone spoken of Plugger's shirtfront on Caven yet? Considering Caven had his nose 'caved in' (get it? :p ) and need rhinoplasty... it may have been somewhat illegal, but all the thread is asking is 'best shirtfront' and I guess that one takes the cake.

R Man said:
Sziller gave Mil Hanna a beauty back in 1995. Was right in front of me at Waverley Park. was to be the Blues 2nd and last loss that year.. but Hanna went straight off and couldn't find the ball when they threw him back on in the last quarter.

Has anyone spoken of Plugger's shirtfront on Caven yet? Considering Caven had his nose 'caved in' (get it? :p ) and need rhinoplasty... it may have been somewhat illegal, but all the thread is asking is 'best shirtfront' and I guess that one takes the cake.
That was a biggee, and Dean Wallis on Hanna in '93 as well... Hanna was a magnet for a big hit.

westy07 said:

And how good was it that it was literally only a meter and a half away from 'legendary Rugby League hardman' Wally Lewis, who was sitting on the boundary with Dipper calling the game for Seven. Im sure he went home that night convinced Aussie Rules was the tougher game.

R Man said:

Since when have cocked elbows been a part of the shirtfront:confused:

Plugger dead set could of killed Caven that day, and its always amazed me how quickly Swans supporters adopted him as there own after such a viscious attack on one of there players.

harmesy 37 said:
Good bump, but you can't keep a champion player down. Dean got up and played some of the match from memory and went on to win his second premiership medal two weeks later - one of the best on ground too...
In fact it was only a week later that he won his second premiership medal. The shirtfront happened in the '95 Prelim Final, when we absolutely caned the Roos in the wet. Dean was in doubt all GF week, but there was never really any doubt in his mind or that of the Carlton supporters that he would play. Tough as nails, Deano and has been sadly missed since his retirement in '98.

UNIT said:
Since when have cocked elbows been a part of the shirtfront:confused:

Plugger dead set could of killed Caven that day, and its always amazed me how quickly Swans supporters adopted him as there own after such a viscious attack on one of there players.

hmmm... I'd still label it as a shirtfront because it was a front on charge, which is what a shirtfront is, give or take. I know it's commonly termed as a 'hip and shoulder,' but I still think Plugger gave Caven a shirtfront, albeit a vicous, malicious, pointless execution of thuggery ever displayed; that to this day I would argue was probably more disgusting than the right cross Matthews laid on Bruns. Both absolute brain explosions from two of the toughest players ever to pull on the boots...

Schwass taking out Peter Dean (boundary wing, front of the Southern Stand) 1995 Prelim Final was a classicly executed shirtfront.

Pickett's dished out some beauties. The one on Krummel was probably the most savage. Choppy almost warrants his own top 10 shirtfront thread. The Milburn one (IIRC dislocated Milburn's shoulder on contact, a 360 spin in the air before getting Ko'd when making contact with the ground) a close second.

A young Archer providing relief to Schwass (after being the recipient of a few cheap shots) and taking out Worsfold in a semi final at the MCG in the mid 90's. Woosha most certainly heard foot steps and kept out of his way the remainder of the afternoon. To Worsfold's credit, he did try and make ammends in the return bout in Perth the following season.

Sav Rocca on Libba (might have been his farewell game). Smashed his nose to pieces from memory. Was a comical although painful one for the little tagger. Bit like David & Goliath, with the big fella winning this one!

I could go on for ever.

Geez, I love shirtfronts!:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UNIT said:
And how good was it that it was literally only a meter and a half away from 'legendary Rugby League hardman' Wally Lewis, who was sitting on the boundary with Dipper calling the game for Seven. Im sure he went home that night convinced Aussie Rules was the tougher game.

I'm not so sure about that , but I'll bet he left with a lot of respect for the Vossinator . Wally has a room full of great hits himself , the one on Brendan Tuuta in a Test match in NZ still lives in the memory .

Mark Yeates on Dermie 1989 GF.

absolute gutless dog act, but still the biggest Shirtfront I've seen.
Another Sniper: Woosha took out Modra in about 1994/95 with a massive bump at Subiaco.

Mind you I guess it's much easier to attack a guy whose eyes are on the ball and not you ;)

Best shirtfront I've ever seen occured about twenty metres away from me, at the MCG, in the late 70s early 80s, on the outer wing, heading to the Jolimont goals. Jim Jess, he of 195cm and 98 kg, was knocked out by Garry Wilson, of the 178 cm and 80 kg.

Wilson could lay claim to being among the fairest players ever. This day, Jess was running towards the bouncing ball and Wilson was coming in the opposite direction. Wilson lowered the shoulder in the accepted fashion, hit Jess amidships as he raised his eyes after picking up the ball. Jess was carried from the field, unconscious.

It was a perfectly fair bump, but that didn't stop Malthouse from dealing out retribution a quarter or so later, in his usual filthy manner, which caused Wilson to also suffer concussion.

Lingsface said:
steven sziller it was and pretty good tactic looks like people got the msg after a while dont get in abletts way even though he was only nick dal santos height. 185cm

Kristian Bardsley (Anning)

McBain said:
legal ???
you're joking aren't you mate ????
the umpire had only just bounced the ball and while every player was waiting for it to land, Hocking came out of nowhere and smashed Harvs.
the fact that it was so outside the spirit of the game was the reason they banned it.
very gutless act by a gutless bloke
Sounds like Harvey was asking for it.

The Carey/Rice one was more of a accidental collision than a shirtfront with two players coming from different directions both going for a mark. However in the end the result was the same.

dipper86 said:
Mid 90s Collingwood v Brisbane.

M Voss on Richardson :thumbsu:

Submitted for your approval...

vossy2.gif

TheBrownDog said:
Submitted for your approval...

Hadn't seen that before. Boy thats a hard hit. It almost looks like Voss is in the air and has his elbow up, but I guess that may have happened as a result of the force of the impact.

UNIT said:
Ablett's traditional MO was just charging up the ground from Full Forward, except with no intention of going for the pill and and just cleaning up blokes with their eyes on the footy coming in the other direction. Invaribaly it was the elbow that came out....im sure one day at Kardinia Park he knocked some St Kilda players teeth out using that trick.

Ablett's traditional MO was to be mauled all game every game by less talented players. Like Plugger he was a psycho nut who damaged a lot of opponents, but to say he went looking for blood is wrong. However with a few simple ammendations we can make that statement more sensible.

Worsfolds's traditional MO was just charging up the ground from halfback, except with no intention of going for the pill and and just cleaning up blokes with their eyes on the footy coming in the other direction. Invaribaly it was the elbow that came out....im sure one day at Subi he knocked some real footballers teeth out using that trick.

Lidge said:
A young Archer providing relief to Schwass (after being the recipient of a few cheap shots) and taking out Worsfold in a semi final at the MCG in the mid 90's. Woosha most certainly heard foot steps and kept out of his way the remainder of the afternoon. To Worsfold's credit, he did try and make ammends in the return bout in Perth the following season.
Try? mate i remember Worsfold nailing Arch that game in Perth. Arch was typically running with the flight, head in the air and wouldn't have seen Worsfold coming steaming in with eyes only for him. But he got him good. Ironed him out a ripper. I remember Arch trying to get up after it but falling down a couple of times before the trainers got to him. I was filthy at the time, but have to admit it was a corker of a hit by the filthy mongrel.

Choppy's hit on Leigh Colbert in the elimination final last year wasn't bad either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back