Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Could someone PLEASE explain to me how Sandhurst of worthy of flag favouritism over Golden Square and even Strathfieldsaye for that matter?

$2.50 –
Sandhurst

$3 – Golden Square

$3 – Strathfieldsaye

$8 – Kangaroo Flat

$11 – Kyneton

$11 – Eaglehawk

$26 – Castlemaine

$31 – South Bendigo

$101 – Gisborne

$101 – Maryborough

Could it be that the Punters bets might have made it that way? with the bets that have been made? Dragons are as good as chance as any in what is going to be a pretty tight finals series again id think.

Word is Golden Square signed n snuck in two gun onballers just before clearances ended.
Any other teams top up with some mid year recruits hoping to have a red hot crack at the Cup come finals time?

If they are guns then I would think they are 4 point players? will they be able to fit them into the side each week? haven't heard of any other teams recruiting anyone before clearances. The league has received what it wanted: the super power golden square back where it belongs in their eyes on top the ladder.

If they are guns then I would think they are 4 point players? will they be able to fit them into the side each week? haven't heard of any other teams recruiting anyone before clearances. The league has received what it wanted: the super power golden square back where it belongs in their eyes on top the ladder.

How do the league initiate square returning to the top?

I reckon if i were the bfl id prefer clubs like castlemaine, marybourogh and kyneton on top rather than square. Plus squares record suggests that they dont need the help of the league

Since the Storm joined the league only 2 clubs have won flags, if I was on the league board I would be concerned about this, I love the fact the Storm have won 2 in a row, love them to win a third. But the crowd at last years Grand Final tells me there are supporters starting to get fed up with the lack of different teams actually competing for a flag.

Cry me a river, all clubs have to abide by the points system and if square can fit them in then that's good recruiting. Just by the way, both these blokes have played at square before with one coming through the Under 18's.

If you've played x amount of games at a club previously and/or x amount of junior games points get deducted irrelevant of what league you come from

This is where the points system doesn't work. As an example how long ago did Ryan play junior or senior football in Bendigo? Played Ammos and GVFL so at least 5+ years. You shouldn't get points deducted after 1-2 years away. It then should be an incentive to come back in a short timeframe. That to me is a loop hole.
Probably good management by the club but watch the recruiters now scour the junior records of players to find they played a season in the Under 12's.

This is where the points system doesn't work. As an example how long ago did Ryan play junior or senior football in Bendigo? Played Ammos and GVFL so at least 5+ years. You shouldn't get points deducted after 1-2 years away. It then should be an incentive to come back in a short timeframe. That to me is a loop hole.
Probably good management by the club but watch the recruiters now scour the junior records of players to find they played a season in the Under 12's.

Whilst I don't totally disagree GG, I think it needs to provide a balance. For example, you don't wont kids who move away to Melbourne for Uni, or try BFL/GV from a lower league to return to 5 points after 2 years. It might be after 5+ years its results in 1 point becoming 2 and continuing for each year away. Too be honest, I don't really have a solution but clubs, particularly in the HDFL, LVFL MCFL shouldn't be punished for their juniors having to go to Uni for 4 years or trying a higher standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandhurst - Appear to be the team best placed to win it all. They have the home ground advantage come finals time and has kept most of their main core of players on the park for the majority of the season. Great mix of experience, youth and a balanced side not reliant on anyone in particular. Will the mental demons of failure in September the past two seasons be a factor or is it their time to take the next step and win? A win this weekend against the Storm all but guarantees top spot and the much desired first week off in finals.

Strath Storm - Quite literally limping into another finals campaign. Crueled by injuries in season 2016 can they get their best team on the park come finals? They have little to no fire power up forward and a heavy reliance on the Geary brothers doesn't look good for the Storm. Their excellent defence has been the reason for many victories this season and will be even more important come finals time but It remains to be seen whether they are going to be able to kick a score when it counts and Donaldson, Crunow and Trollop all have big question marks over their fitness. A win this weekend against Sandhurst at the QEO gives them top spot with 3 games remaining. A week off come finals would be a huge asset for Storm considering their injury list.

Golden Square - They have the cattle and team on paper but they have failed twice against Sandhurst and once against Strathfieldsaye on the bigger ground. Do they have the ability to win 2 maybe 3 times in 3 weeks on the QEO? Have had a fantastic run with injuries in 2016 with a balanced and even spread across all lines.

Kangaroo Flat - Irrelevant

Eaglehawk - Irrelevant

Whilst I don't totally disagree GG, I think it needs to provide a balance. For example, you don't wont kids who move away to Melbourne for Uni, or try BFL/GV from a lower league to return to 5 points after 2 years. It might be after 5+ years its results in 1 point becoming 2 and continuing for each year away. Too be honest, I don't really have a solution but clubs, particularly in the HDFL, LVFL MCFL shouldn't be punished for their juniors having to go to Uni for 4 years or trying a higher standard.

I'm not sure this is right. As I understand it if the player has played 70 (I think) junior games with the club he will always be a one pointer regardless of the length of his stint away or the level he played at.
Further to this if a player has tried to play at a higher level and failed or just got a few games in the seniors you can write in and ask for an exemption and if he did play seniors at a bottom of the ladder club it's also worth a try.

I'm not sure this is right. As I understand it if the player has played 70 (I think) junior games with the club he will always be a one pointer regardless of the length of his stint away or the level he played at.
Further to this if a player has tried to play at a higher level and failed or just got a few games in the seniors you can write in and ask for an exemption and if he did play seniors at a bottom of the ladder club it's also worth a try.
I guess it comes down to what the junior club is classified. For example, if under 16's or 14's isn't classified as club matches, they may be unable to play 70 games in the thirds (be it under 17's or 18's) before they turn 18-19 and head to uni. I honestly don't know if the lower age matches count towards club matches but I know that kids can shift around a fair bit at that age.

Colbert vs Weightman this week as tigers vs square. Cousins could get into each other. Tigers are up and about and look hard to beat at home this yr. What are everyone's thoughts?

Yet another disappointing year at the Flat, not sure if making the Stevens the Director of Coaching will achieve very much.
He might not have been able to coach to the finals but something he does well in the background is the logistics of the Job
If they can find the right coach he will be very handy

Back