News Caleb Marchbank nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd sooner use next years first in any big deal, than to use this years first.
SOS and the guys would already have a pretty good idea as to who they're likely to get this year and it's somewhat hard to let go of someone you know you can have.

i.e. What if we know that Brodie will be available against having little idea of who may be there next year, given we don't know where we'll finish (O.K. some seem to know that we'll finish bottom 3, but really.... :))

Early days but my current feeling is:

Marchbank, Pickett & another (Barrett, Stewart, Ahern, ????) and possibly GWS's next years second, for our 2017 1st.
I'd only be interesting in us trading our 2017 first round pick this year for a pick in the range of 1-7, or netting a player of that quality range/players of that net quality difference.

No point to it otherwise.

Why not?

We may not do it but the possibility shouldn't be totally ignored.

Who said anything about not drafting and developing our own talent?

If we can convert our first next year (+ a few other pieces) into Marchbank + a few 1st round picks this year, it potentially sets us up very nicely.

I wouldn't be so ready to trade away high draft picks. There are other ways to make a deal.

Keep this years first and next years first.
Happy to keep trading off 1 or 2 pretty handy players this year and next for 2nd round picks or late firsts (same as last year).
Put trust in SOS and co. to land the guns with the early picks and very good players with the late firsts to seconds.

This year and next we need to have at least 3 picks inside the top 25. Preferably, 1 in the top 5 both years. That's were you pick up the Bontempelli's, Weitering's, Schache's, Petracca's. Add 2 more of these guys to our list and then another 4-6 good players in these 2 drafts, then look out 2019-20 when they have got some game time into them.

SOS will get us the players we require this year and next.

Let's play closest to the pin.
I guess this won't go away until it does go away, so how do people see this playing out.
I'm taking the following into account, some based on what Trigg had to say yesterday:

1. We will not trade pick #5 for Tomlinson.
2. We are rapt to have Marchbank and we really rate him.
3. We will be looking at a multi-pronged deal.
4. We are keen on other GWS players, presumably for this bundled multi-prong deal, inclusive of Marchbank.
No players mentioned but let's go: Pickett, Corr, Stewart, Tomlinson, Barrett......Others????

I guess it's hard to work on what the deal may be, when we don't know what is fully involved, but I can see a situation only next years first gets it done.
Maybe we best get ready for it now. I said maybe. :)

I guess this won't go away until it does go away, so how do people see this playing out.
I'm taking the following into account, some based on what Trigg had to say yesterday:

4. We are keen on other GWS players, presumably for this bundled multi-prong deal, inclusive of Marchbank.
No players mentioned but let's go: Pickett, Corr, Stewart, Tomlinson, Barrett......Others????

I guess it's hard to work on what the deal may be, when we don't know what is fully involved, but I can see a situation only next years first gets it done.

This years second and next years second for Marchbank, Stewart, corr, Pickett.
If we actually get a pick in the 15-18 range for Tuohy, it will be that pick and this year's second.

I'll give it a go
Trade in: Marchbank + Pickett, Corr, Stewart
Trade out: 23 (or whatever we get for Touhy) and 2nd round next year

We'll take some of the burden off GWS
GWS players get more opportunity at our club

I'll be wrapped with that - then we draft mids mids and more mids

All this trade value speculation. Marchbank seems like a good get but not worth pick 5. Some of the other steak knives being thrown around seem like good gets as well but realistically, everything Trigg and Co have said since they came into power has been that we need to go to the draft to rebuild. The interview yesterday he confirmed that we need to go to the draft to rebuild and that we wouldn't be in a position to go after big names for another couple of years. Fair value therefore doesn't come into things. Trigg and co would look like the morons they replaced if they start trading away all our early picks to go after recycled players. We will need to stay high in the draft come hell or bust with the only possible exception being if there was something we just couldn't refuse. Unless there is something way unders in our favour it would be inconceivable to see us trade away our first pick this year OR next year. The only way I can see a first round pick being in play is if we get one from another trade somewhere. Nobody involved in the actual process would give a busted footy boot about what values for trades posters on BF think.

I'm keen to play. Totally agree with points 1-5.

I'd say Carlton will trade players and picks for low first rounders and/or high second rounders (2016 -2017) and these will be used to on-trade for a GWS package that will include Marchbank, Pickett and possibly Stewart or Corr. I also think they will get Matera from GCS because he and Pickett would provide the forward/mids they are after.

So who will the Blues trade? I'd say Boekhorst if there is any interest. Touhy if he rejects Carlton's offer. Everitt, DVR and Graham for whatever they can get. Jaksch and/or Rowe if the price is right.

Looking more and more likely.
Tuohy now looks to be a likely re-signing. Suggests we have "done the deal" to bring in Marchbank and seemingly some others, or
extra picks this year.
Trigg trumpeting that pick 5 off table, and we are hitting the draft hard.......deal has to be done somehow.

My preference would see Marchbank, Pickett, maybe Stewart (from rumour, but I am "meh" on him personally) and two late first
rounders, for our 2016 second and 2017 first, with a handshake to cash our 2018 first in to a high pick in 2017, given likely BS F/S
scenario.(as you suggested earlier)

McGrath looking less likely at 5 (grrrrr) so not sure who, really want Simpkin from that second tier. I like Clarke and Gallucci, but
have a feeling Simpkin, a leftie with elite pace and disposal would be high on our wish list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This years second and next years second for Marchbank, Stewart, corr, Pickett.
If we actually get a pick in the 15-18 range for Tuohy, it will be that pick and this year's second.

Guessing similar.

Marchbank, Tomlinson, Stewart and Pickett for 2016 2nd and 2017 2nd.

If Tuohy nets us late first, then that pick and next year's 2nd.

I'd sooner use next years first in any big deal, than to use this years first.
SOS and the guys would already have a pretty good idea as to who they're likely to get this year and it's somewhat hard to let go of someone you know you can have.

i.e. What if we know that Brodie will be available against having little idea of who may be there next year, given we don't know where we'll finish (O.K. some seem to know that we'll finish bottom 3, but really.... :))

Early days but my current feeling is:

Marchbank, Pickett & another (Barrett, Stewart, Ahern, ????) and possibly GWS's next years second, for our 2017 1st.
I get what you are saying and we already have interviewed players and have a connection to any draftees this year but the only problem I have in trading next years first round pick is not knowing where we will end up on the ladder. We could very well improve but the feeling I have is we will slide down the ladder a bit before we improve. Imagine if we finish bottom 3 next year in a draft that is supposed to be a strong one.

My concern with trading a future first with the intention of then trading back into the first round next year with other players/picks is that, every year, without fail, the AFL move the goalposts. They've done it again this year by stipulating that you can only take as many live picks into the draft as you have available list spots.

Is anyone really that confident that the rules and regulations won't change again? What if those changes make it even less attractive for clubs to trade high picks for multiple later picks? What if they decide that trading future picks was a bust and do away with it completely, leaving us unable to trade 2018 picks to get back into the 2017 first round?

If we can do it all this year (trade our 2017 first but find another club willing to give us their 2017 first) then I'd be a bit more comfortable. But I don't like the idea of taking ourselves out of a draft ahead of time during a reset, with no guarantees we can get back in.
So what are you suggesting? That the AFL makes it up as they go? Never.;)

The Doggies who traded 11 for 20 + 21 last year?

The Saints who traded 5 for Carlisle last year?
The same Saints who traded 12 and 13 for Tom Lee, Tom Hickey and some second/third rounders in 2012?
So glad you posted this. Rather than rebut my argument, it supports it.

The saints are 2-3 years ahead of us in their rebuild. They have stocked up on young talent and are now prepared to bring in experienced quality players to fill their need ie. Trading their #5 for Carlisle to play CHB. We are a long way off this.

The doggies are in the same boat; 2-3 years ahead of us. They have stocked up on top end trades in 2012,13,14 but saw a need for two regulars rather than one speculative top 10 pick. We can't afford to do this.

The Hickey/Lee trade was done in 2012, before richo took over in 2014 and the rebuild commenced so is irrelevant to this discussion.

Do you see how it works? Rebuild from the bottom up. Rebuild with quality 18 year olds who BB can develop from scratch THEN put the icing on the cake with a big trade.

Guessing similar.

Marchbank, Tomlinson, Stewart and Pickett for 2016 2nd and 2017 2nd.

If Tuohy nets us late first, then that pick and next year's 2nd.

Tomlinson would be a great get in that deal. I'd prefer that deal but am unsure if he will leave. 6 weeks ago I was feeling good about him coming across for something not so expensive. But now he just looks a part of the team.

Adding Tomlinson and Marchbank to our backline would see Weitering go forward (imo) with Stewart up there also.
It would change the dynamic of our team immensely and also not put as much stress on the backs of McKay and C Curnow so early in their career.

If that was to eventuate, I would hope we would take Ainsworth with our first pick then focus on mids for the next two drafts along with a ruckman

Do you see how it works? Rebuild from the bottom up. Rebuild with quality 18 year olds who BB can develop from scratch THEN put the icing on the cake with a big trade.
Any word on what type of cake we're talking here, LtD?

A
Keep this years first and next years first.
Happy to keep trading off 1 or 2 pretty handy players this year and next for 2nd round picks or late firsts (same as last year).
Put trust in SOS and co. to land the guns with the early picks and very good players with the late firsts to seconds.

This year and next we need to have at least 3 picks inside the top 25. Preferably, 1 in the top 5 both years. That's were you pick up the Bontempelli's, Weitering's, Schache's, Petracca's. Add 2 more of these guys to our list and then another 4-6 good players in these 2 drafts, then look out 2019-20 when they have got some game time into them.

SOS will get us the players we require this year and next.

Agree totally and succinctly written, this is the way forward .
I believe and trust Silvagni and Bolton will improve our playing list with several high quality additions, in the next couple of years and we'll be on our way up.
They are looking to enhance the list at every opportunity; we've been stagnant and redundant for such a long time, in this area. Hope we have some luck too always need that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back