List Mgmt. Freo's Indigenous Players

Remove this Banner Ad

interesting.gif

I think from memory we hold the record for most Indigenous players in a game day squad (7 or 8 back in 2003)

That said, what I would love to see is Fremantle lobby the AFL for a home match every Indigenous Round as a tribute to that tradition that we've cultivated.

Harley Bennell *
Brady Grey
Jonathon Griffin
Joel Hamling *
Brad Hill *
Stephen Hill *
Michael Johnson *
Alex Pearce *
Danyle Pearce *
Michael Walters *
Shane Yarran *

so 11 indigenous players, 9 of which are probably best 22... 25% of our squad

We should snap the record next year

Let's hope we don't end up with a Dion Woods and they go walkabouts in the off season, never to return. He was one of my favourites, had so much talent, just wasn't all quiet there.

Harley Bennell *
Brady Grey
Jonathon Griffin
Joel Hamling *
Brad Hill *
Stephen Hill *
Michael Johnson *
Alex Pearce *
Danyle Pearce *
Michael Walters *
Shane Yarran *

so 11 indigenous players, 9 of which are probably best 22... 25% of our squad

We should snap the record next year
I also wouldn't be surprised if we picked p a couple more indigenous players in the drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also wouldn't be surprised if we picked p a couple more indigenous players in the drafts.

Yeah if we pick up say SPS this year we almost have a platform to convince Jack Martin to come home and be part of the indigenous all stars

we have 11 of the 74 indigenous listed players - so 15% of the league

I think from memory we hold the record for most Indigenous players in a game day squad (7 or 8 back in 2003)

That said, what I would love to see is Fremantle lobby the AFL for a home match every Indigenous Round as a tribute to that tradition that we've cultivated.

It was equaled by Port Adelaide last year or the year before I think.

Lil' disclaimer I believe is necessary

It's impossible to dispute Freo's significant indigenous presence and it has always been indubitably higher than the norm. Both in terms of players and grassroots involvement and support. That's before you even get to Neesham/Clontarf and the effect that's had in shaping us as a very progressive footy club. I have faith most of us can handle the topic with due respect.

As such, this is a valid thread topic and deserves a fair go. I would suggest one thing though and that's trying to avoid veering too far into SRP territory and getting bogged down in the wider societal aspects and issues, try and confine discussion mostly to Freo's or the AFL's role/s in indigenous affairs if possible.

cheers.

Speaking of our indigenous players, i saw clem michael today.hope his life was ok after footy, looks like it may have been a tad rough unfortunately

Thread title could do with some work.
Yes. I tried to change it. Port have a section called Black Diamonds, which is actually from an excellent book about aboriginals in sport.

If the mods can help change it, and if there is a better title..... lets go for it. With the emergence of the remote academy it could be worth stickying.

Fremantle brothers?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back