Resource Interesting Saints historical photos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a bit of a random thread but im just trying to add something interesting while theres no footy to talk about.
We cant talk about who we might draft all the time :D

Im just gonna put up some interesting photos from our History.
Some you might have seen, some maybe not. Feel free to add any photos that you like.

238_4.jpg

Always loved this old pic of Verdun Howell. Thats a great leap.

jul-2001-former-st-kilda-football-club-premiership-coach-allan-jeans-picture-id72390186

Nice pic of the players giving the great man Alan Jeans a round of applause when he was back down helping at the club for a while in the early 2000s

63410006.jpg

Some very tough Ballarat boys

1313676608563.jpg

From that amazing game in 94 when we came from way behind to beat the Swans.
Unfortunately for Peter Caven his nose was now 'way behind' his face.

0.jpg

Looks like Barks has a couple of tickets to the Kiss concert:D

warne25.jpg

2nd from right. Shane Warne celebrates a win in the under 19s

vlcsnap-00017_StKilda_1913_Grand_Final_Team_25_17.jpg

The Saints 1913 Grand Final team.
We lost:( I still havnt forgiven Fitzroy:p

r0_241_2930_1888_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

The World Series Cricket team at Moorabbin.
For a while we were in Kerry Packers plans to play games there. But Waverly got the nod.

82f6b133ab144319bf23bf128bdd9b1d

The 1960 Saints side.
A playing Alan Jeans sitting next to coach. Judging by his ears a Premiership cup was his destiny:p
And trucking tycoon Lindsay Fox sitting 2nd from right middle row.

jeffso110668.gif

An old Saints Jeff Hook comic.

b9e8a.ODonnellSimon.jpg

Aussie cricket great Simon O'Donnel playing for us.

5dba1a7a1d8dbd6f175711211dfc162c

A young Plugger waking up with his Brownlow the following day.

Hope you found some of these interesting :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Last edited:

1210.jpg

St Kilda team "post world war 1", would be interesting to try and put a name to each of the faces.

I think I know three.

Back Row 1st on left: Bill Cubbins
Middle Row 1st on Left: Colin Watson (1925 Brownlow Medalist)
Middle Row 2nd from Left: Barney Carr

images

Chris Connolly doesnt realize how lucky he was that he was held back.
Lenny was fired up that day in Tassie.

Cheersquad(b).jpg

I just like this pic of the drawn GF crowd cos im in it:D

165014_d59f89b9999cf0d8cd98d29eaf73b83a.jpg

Who knows if Holmes will have much of an AFL career. But this photo of his leap during his opening game was pretty special.

331896-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Mick Malthouse.
Before the mo and before the grumpy attitude

fae32ec273c8e068a8569874523ab49f

Victory over the Cats at Moorabbin in 88

c5086dd9b8f6d969deff02f39a6c8b15

The old ground packed to the rafters.

82f6b133ab144319bf23bf128bdd9b1d

The 1960 Saints side.
A playing Alan Jeans sitting next to coach. Judging by his ears a Premiership cup was his destiny:p
And trucking tycoon Lindsay Fox sitting 2nd from right middle row.

Back Row: Verdun Howell, Eric Guy, - , - , - , - , - , Alan Morrow, -
Middle Row: Bill Young, - , Lance Oswald, Allan Jeans, Jim Francis (coach), Neil Roberts, Lindsay Fox, Graham Minihan
Front Row - , - , -

I reckon it is 1959 because Jeans & Minihan stopped playing in 1959. I actually think it is R5, 1959 against Hawthorn at the Junction Oval on the basis that we are wearing black shorts (i.e. the home team) and Fox and Minihan only played one home game together in 1959. I've checked all the other players I've identified also played that day.

EDIT: All the players identified played against Essendon at Windy Hill (R2, 1959) and against Richmond at Punt Rd (R6, 1959). I think these are the only three games that Fox and Minihan played in the first team together with only the Hawthorn match played at home.

Last edited:
Two saints team photos. First one around 1936-39 period. My grandpa top row third from the right Sam Snell. Captain Bill Mohr ( saints team of the century) front row. From The Age newspaper, with the colours painted on! (Pop in the Big V photo bottom right corner also)

5298ab57239847defbedbef8734ca812.jpg

Second photo from 1945.
cf8ea19688dac8dcebf0a153112843d4.jpg

Great thread

jul-2001-former-st-kilda-football-club-premiership-coach-allan-jeans-picture-id72390186

Nice pic of the players giving the great man Alan Jeans a round of applause when he was back down helping at the club for a while in the early 2000s

Anyone remember the names?

Blake - Riewoldt - someone's hair??? - Maxie - Chris Oliver? - Spider - ??? - Frankie's nose? - maybe Beetham? - Bally

Must have been 2002 if Spider and Bally were both there.

Great thread

Anyone remember the names?

Blake - Riewoldt - someone's hair??? - Maxie - Chris Oliver? - Spider - ??? - Frankie's nose? - maybe Beetham? - Bally

Must have been 2002 if Spider and Bally were both there.
Think youll find that its Matty Youngs ranga hair peeking over Roos shoulder mate:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two saints team photos. First one around 1936-39 period. My grandpa top row third from the right Sam Snell. Captain Bill Mohr ( saints team of the century) front row. From The Age newspaper, with the colours painted on! (Pop in the Big V photo bottom right corner also)

5298ab57239847defbedbef8734ca812.jpg
My great uncle Ron Wilson is in the picture. Bottom row 3rd from the left. He ended up being the runner for us including the 66 grand final.

images

Chris Connolly doesnt realize how lucky he was that he was held back.
Lenny was fired up that day in Tassie.

Cheersquad(b).jpg

I just like this pic of the drawn GF crowd cos im in it:D

165014_d59f89b9999cf0d8cd98d29eaf73b83a.jpg

Who knows if Holmes will have much of an AFL career. But this photo of his leap during his opening game was pretty special.

331896-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Mick Malthouse.
Before the mo and before the grumpy attitude

fae32ec273c8e068a8569874523ab49f

Victory over the Cats at Moorabbin in 88

I absolutely love that pic of the Social Club........it may have just been built as I can't see the sign "GG Huggins Stand".......does anyone know when it was actually built?

I've never seen a year quoted for that anywhere.

The pics looks from the late 60's where we'd regularly get 40,000 sometimes 50,000 at home games...

We should use the LED boards at Etihad & the MCG to recreate these banners around the boundary. I remember them in the 70s around Moorabbin at ground level before the advertisers took over. Huge things they were stretching half the length of the ground. Now with the LED boards replacing the old permanent advertising we can have the best of both worlds. (GJD23 perhaps a suggestion for Matt Finnis, the next time you're chatting to him)

We should use the LED boards at Etihad & the MCG to recreate these banners around the boundary. I remember them in the 70s around Moorabbin at ground level before the advertisers took over. Huge things they were stretching half the length of the ground. Now with the LED boards replacing the old permanent advertising we can have the best of both worlds. (GJD23 perhaps a suggestion for Matt Finnis, the next time you're chatting to him)
Fantastic idea mate. Matt would like another update before Christmas so I'm doing another member review December 1st. Don't forget this idea! Sounds great.

Baldock.JPG
The great Daryl Baldock at Launceston. The game was Port Adelaide and we won by a few points. 547884-stephen-milne.jpg
In this photo, Milney is copping it from the Collingwood cheer squad. The man on the far left in the hat is a former Federal Court judge, Shane Marshall who accpepted an invitation to join the squad. Perhaps a mistake.

I absolutely love that pic of the Social Club........it may have just been built as I can't see the sign "GG Huggins Stand".......does anyone know when it was actually built?

I've never seen a year quoted for that anywhere.

The pics looks from the late 60's where we'd regularly get 40,000 sometimes 50,000 at home games...

I can recognise Cowboy (18), Darryl Griffiths (25) and Verdun Howell (16).

Plus the area in front of the Social Club has not been fenced off for SC seating.

I can't remember when the SC was built unfortunately but not long after the Premiership.

Memory is that both Griffiths and Howell retired soon after 66.

I'm guessing the game is 68 or 69.

PS: biggest crowd ever at Moorabbin was the first in 65 vs Collingwood. In excess of 50k. Packed. Seriously packed.

you will struggle to find a player who gave more emotion and pride when wearing his Saints jumper than Max Hudghton. Heres some great pics of Maxy.

max1.jpg

Who can forget the raw emotion he showed after a heartbreaking last min loss to the Dogs.
The image of Max squirting his face with the drink bottle to try to hide his tears was hard to take.

max3.jpg

The other extreme of emotion as Max the backman celebrates a rare goal.

apr-2002-ben-graham-for-geelong-marks-as-max-hudghton-for-st-kilda-picture-id1121000

Athletic and fearless.

63550001.jpg

Another heart n soul player. Spud running out for his final game at Whitten oval. We had a great win that day.

253929-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Rossy receiving a frosty return to his old stomping ground.

818425-53df68c0-cf58-11e3-8e96-6a6704b39a47.jpg

Buckets and Spud are taking the saying " lets go out there and kill em" a little too seriously.

983225-darrel-baldock.jpg

The wonderful image of the Doc late in his life still proudly wearing a Saints jumper.

The magnificent Bill Stephenson. He could arguably have been the greatest Full Forward to have ever put on the Saints jumper (yep, I know exactly what I'm saying, and I'm still saying it). Tragically, just as he was being truly unleashed on the comp, he was cut down by a serious knee injury - tragically, because it's probably the kind of injury that would be entirely treatable these days.

Bill_Stephenson(b).jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back