List Mgmt. Welcome to Collingwood Geoff Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Roos will be Collingwood coach in 2018.

Bookmark it
If that happens, I will become an armchair supporter. (Still buy AFL membership).
Not because of Buckley but don't want Roos, so over-rated.
Sick of going back to the past.

If that happens, I will become an armchair supporter. (Still buy AFL membership).
Not because of Buckley but don't want Roos, so over-rated.
Sick of going back to the past.

Really? I would be wrapt to get Roos. He's an excellent coach and has the ability to build a lasting culture.

Really? I would be wrapt to get Roos. He's an excellent coach and has the ability to build a lasting culture.
When you have everything laid out for you and the AFL behind you as well, think you can put a good team together.
Don't think his record at Melbourne was that great.
What he may have is good man management but not sure that helps with game plan and getting the best out of players on the field.
The way Melbourne finished off some of their games was a good indication especially when they had the opportunity of finishing in the eight last year.
I wouldn't go on his coaching at the Swans as they had a good team and even in some of their losing games I believe they lost due to slow decision making from the coaching box.
Reminds me of MM.
Anyway, just my opinion but would prefer taking a risk on an up-coming assistant coach if we were to change.

Just see what he did with Melbourne in 3 Seasons. There where a Joke and got them to be Cusp of Making Finals

I nice way to describe that article is 'rambling'. An accurate way to describe it is 'a large pile of bat droppings'.
What I took out of it is Kelly would be a s**t choice for future Pres.

If he thinks people will tune in to hear Lyon (I don't mind as much as some) Tim Watson ( could do with never having to listen to him after the drugs saga-turd) & Rompingwins (possibly the worst AFL commentator ever, does come across genuine though, genuinely an arsehole that is & of course noted dog killer) will save SEN then he has NFI.

The Pies board are always complaining about the lack of maturity and leaders around the club, Paul Roos is the perfect solution to that. He's a very intelligent, hard working man who guides young players very well, and he also has a very good record of bringing in mature agers with great leadership qualities from other clubs for low prices. I'm a big fan, I want him on board.

The Pies board are always complaining about the lack of maturity and leaders around the club, Paul Roos is the perfect solution to that. He's a very intelligent, hard working man who guides young players very well, and he also has a very good record of bringing in mature agers with great leadership qualities from other clubs for low prices. I'm a big fan, I want him on board.

IF Bucks Fails(Lot Tipping he Will) then Roo's is 1 I would love to take over

IF Bucks Fails(Lot Tipping he Will) then Roo's is 1 I would love to take over

Another positive combination for 2018:

CEO: Walsh
(was CEO of North before he came to Collingwood the first time)

Head of Football: Roos
(operated like a Head of Football at times with Longmire and Goodwin)

Coach: Dew
(supposedly the best of the assistant coaches and likes Roos)

Just see what he did with Melbourne in 3 Seasons. There where a Joke and got them to be Cusp of Making Finals

He has about 10 top draft picks. I could get Melbourne to the finals if had the job long enough. Roos is the most overrated coach around. Has cola at Sydney... won 1 flag. Yet people think he's the messiah.

He has about 10 top draft picks. I could get Melbourne to the finals if had the job long enough. Roos is the most overrated coach around. Has cola at Sydney... won 1 flag. Yet people think he's the messiah.

Malthouse only won 1 Flag in over 10 Years and People make him sound like the Best Collingwood Coach Ever. MM was not that

Malthouse only won 1 Flag in over 10 Years and People make him sound like the Best Collingwood Coach Ever. MM was not that

Malthouse had a crap list. He got us to 5 grand finals. Should of had 2, maybe 3 premierships with us.

MM was a very good coach, that's why his teams were playing finals more often than not. He's also the record holder for games coached. Paul Roos won a flag with a good list, and benefited greatly from cola and ugly football.

He's was best coach we've had at the club in a long time. His longevity in the game alone probably earns him a place in the top 10-15 coaches of all time.

Something paul Roos isn't and will never be anywhere near.

Malthouse had a crap list. He got us to 5 grand finals. Should of had 2, maybe 3 premierships with us.

MM was a very good coach, that's why his teams were playing finals more often than not. He's also the record holder for games coached. Paul Roos won a flag with a good list, and benefited greatly from cola and ugly football.

He's was best coach we've had at the club in a long time. His longevity in the game alone probably earns him a place in the top 10-15 coaches of all time.

Something paul Roos isn't and will never be anywhere near.

I could not give a Stuff how the Team Plays as long as it wins Games,

I could say you Overrate MM and Underrate Roo's.

MM been the best coach at the Club for a Long Time as he was Coach for a LongTime:rolleyes::straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't stand the thought of Roos coaching the Pies. Gets his team to play a s**t brand of ultra defensive ugly football and has only ever gained success with major concessions from the AFL.

Still not convinced he's done a better job at Melbourne than any other half competent coach could have done. Christ, they haven't even made finals in his three years there with a list full of first round talent.

Say what you will about MM TradeDraft but he took Collingwood from last to playing in a grand final, with a pretty average list too, within the same amount of time that Roos has taken Melbourne from last to 11th with a very very good list. Spartan isn't underrating Roos, you're completely overrating him.

Lol Melbourne have been full of high draft picks for the last 15 years and been an absolute laughing stock the entire time.

Roos comes and they finally look competitive, but nope it's because of the draft picks o_O

Trengove Scully Toumpas Gysberts Cook having such huge impacts

They still make me laugh

I could not give a Stuff how the Team Plays as long as it wins Games,

I could say you Overrate MM and Underrate Roo's.

MM been the best coach at the Club for a Long Time as he was Coach for a LongTime:rolleyes::straining:
Matthews was the best since Phone Kyne, I'd have him the best since McHale.

1. McHale
  2. Matthews
  3. Kyne
  4. Malthouse
  5. Hafey
  6. Rose
Not rating pre McHale

Lol Melbourne have been full of high draft picks for the last 15 years and been an absolute laughing stock the entire time.

Roos comes and they finally look competitive, but nope it's because of the draft picks o_O

Trengove Scully Toumpas Gysberts Cook having such huge impacts
If Dean Bailey wasn't made to tank he was a better coach than Roos with less support and not as good players.
Bailey coached 83 games with 22 wins, Roos 66 games and 21 wins.
Bailey was doing a very good job against the odds.

If Dean Bailey wasn't made to tank he was a better coach than Roos with less support and not as good players.
Bailey coached 83 games with 22 wins, Roos 66 games and 21 wins.
Bailey was doing a very good job against the odds.
Very good point.
Paul Roos is ok, but he's no star.
Helps to have AFL advantages re Sydney

Trying to downplay what MM achieved at Collingwood is ridiculous. If he had left on better terms or hadn't tried to ruin his legacy at Carlton we wouldn't be having this conversation imo.

A big no to Roos for me. The only reason he took on the Melbourne job was $$$. Melbourne's turnaround is as much from getting competent people in administration positions as it was Roos. The AFL more or less completely overhauled the Dees (which they needed to).

Can't stand the thought of Roos coaching the Pies. Gets his team to play a s**t brand of ultra defensive ugly football and has only ever gained success with major concessions from the AFL.

Still not convinced he's done a better job at Melbourne than any other half competent coach could have done. Christ, they haven't even made finals in his three years there with a list full of first round talent.

Say what you will about MM TradeDraft but he took Collingwood from last to playing in a grand final, with a pretty average list too, within the same amount of time that Roos has taken Melbourne from last to 11th with a very very good list. Spartan isn't underrating Roos, you're completely overrating him.
I don't think there's a coach who could have gotten them further than they are now. Do people not remember the absolute basket case that was Melbourne in 2012 and 2013? They had one of the worst lists ever. It was horrible. His work with the younger talent over three years has been exceptional and he's guided hem into a likely finals birth with one of the most inexperienced teams in the league.

The defensive style of footy argument to me is also outdated; he's had Melbourne play fast, exciting attacking footy for years now. He's also brought in terrific older units like Vince, Cross and Lewis to aid the development of younger players in the short term to assist them. He's not an all-time great but he's without doubt one of the best options out there. I'd love Stewart Dew as much as the next guy but I'm feeling a few clubs will be more keen on him than Eddie and Pert. Roosy is great.

I don't think there's a coach who could have gotten them further than they are now. Do people not remember the absolute basket case that was Melbourne in 2012 and 2013? They had one of the worst lists ever. It was horrible. His work with the younger talent over three years has been exceptional and he's guided hem into a likely finals birth with one of the most inexperienced teams in the league.

The defensive style of footy argument to me is also outdated; he's had Melbourne play fast, exciting attacking footy for years now. He's also brought in terrific older units like Vince, Cross and Lewis to aid the development of younger players in the short term to assist them. He's not an all-time great but he's without doubt one of the best options out there. I'd love Stewart Dew as much as the next guy but I'm feeling a few clubs will be more keen on him than Eddie and Pert. Roosy is great.
I dunno how old you are mate, but Melbournes list was no worse than Collingwoods in 2000 when MM took over. We'd been an absolute basketcase for years both on and off the field until that point. Hell, the club was close to going the way of Fitzroy until Eddie stepped in.

I'm not saying Roos is a bad coach, he's far from it, but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as people make him out to be either.

Oh, and the recruiting shouldn't be attributed to him. Their list manager (who they poached off us) is responsible for that stuff.

How about we cross that bridge when/if we get to it?

For all we know Buckley might get us in the 8 next year? This group has shown its best is good enough, worst is really bad though, need to get a good run with injuries and play some consistent footy.

I dunno how old you are mate, but Melbournes list was no worse than Collingwoods in 2000 when MM took over. We'd been an absolute basketcase for years both on and off the field until that point. Hell, the club was close to going the way of Fitzroy until Eddie stepped in.

I'm not saying Roos is a bad coach, he's far from it, but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as people make him out to be either.

Oh, and the recruiting shouldn't be attributed to him. Their list manager (who they poached off us) is responsible for that stuff.
Malthouse 2000-2002 > Roos 2014-2016 every single day of the week; I agree. However 2000 Malthouse isn't exactly on the market, and I don't reckon there are many, if any, better coaches on the market in 2016. Should Buckley be sacked, I hope the club play it a bit safer and pluck and experienced man, maybe with a premiership victory, and Roos really does fit the bill. He plays attractive football, and he's a proven mentor, which would be of benefit to such a young team that is Collingwood.

Whoever the club chooses has my full support to begin regardless however.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back