The Toon Army Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair to say without Shelvey, we really struggle. Need to get another player who can play that role as unfortunately Colback and Hayden aren't able to spray passes in the same way.

I'm still confident promotion is looking on the cards but fair to say Christmas/NYs was a shaky period for us.

I think the Blackburn keeper was man of the match.
We created enough chances to win two games.
However I agree we are robotic without a playmaker.Hayden's distribution is much worse than I'd thought.
It's January;get us a playmaker Rafa!

Yeah the cupboard is bare as far as creative CMs go. Hayden is ok alongside Shelvey but next to someone like Colback he struggles.
Apparently Lazaar played well. Hopefully he can replace Dummett.

Definitely need a second playmaker in the squad...

Nice to see a pretty heavily rotated squad (featuring Mitro, Murphy, Lazaar, Hanley, Haidara etc) grab a draw in the FA Cup match against Birmingham. Murphy got his first goal in Toon colours I believe. Mitro got a nasty looking gash on his knee - I guess that's a 'good' outcome as some suspected it might be a broken bone given he needed oxygen and a stretcher...

Either way, the replay will be on home soil so we should get the job done you'd think...

If that internet pic is real it's a very nasty slice.Hard to see how a sprig would do something like that.That'd be at least a month out you'd think.
Watched Ben Arfa conduct PSG with a bandleader's baton on the weekend!!Wouldn't he be nice to have right now!
Not bothered at all about the cup myself;promotion's the only game in town as far as I'm concerned.
If Rafa wants to use a Cup run to assist his rotation policy and get games into those who need it fine,but it's completely peripheral for mine.
I think we'll sign some players and get back to winning ways quickly.
As Rafa keeps saying 'the championship is a bloody hard league!'

If that internet pic is real it's a very nasty slice.Hard to see how a sprig would do something like that.That'd be at least a month out you'd think.
Watched Ben Arfa conduct PSG with a bandleader's baton on the weekend!!Wouldn't he be nice to have right now!
Not bothered at all about the cup myself;promotion's the only game in town as far as I'm concerned.
If Rafa wants to use a Cup run to assist his rotation policy and get games into those who need it fine,but it's completely peripheral for mine.
I think we'll sign some players and get back to winning ways quickly.
As Rafa keeps saying 'the championship is a bloody hard league!'

Yeah, if it's a real pic - the Birmingham keeper must have had razor blades for studs or something.

It's funny you mention Ben Arfa - there was some talk of a loan deal I think last week, all because he was snapped having a kick about with some old NUFC training shorts. Doubt it will happen but geez it would be good. Under a proper boss like Rafa...

Agree with the cup. I'd love to win it one day (Rafa seems to want to bring silverware to us in time as well) but promotion is our focus this season. Main thing of interest I get from the cup games at the moment is seeing the rotated squads and seeing what the other players can do.

I think a cup run would be good actually, give us a bit of a taste of games against prem opponents if possible. Promotion is obviously the main priority but I think it'd be good for us to progress a bit in the cup.

Did you watch it streamed live NUFC Tiger ??

I had planned to but couldn't find a stream at the time. And coupled with the intense heat over here on the weekend (think it was 37 on the Saturday night), really sapped my energy so I ended up just sleeping instead. Was awake long enough though to see both goals. :p

I think a cup run would be good actually, give us a bit of a taste of games against prem opponents if possible. Promotion is obviously the main priority but I think it'd be good for us to progress a bit in the cup.

A cup run means more games for everyone, prize money and exposure to some PL teams (in all likelihood). Definitely not against it on those grounds - just more hope it doesn't detract from our promotion push. I wouldn't mind going up as champions if we could haha.

Saw we drew Oxford in the next round (assuming we can overcome Birmingham at home in the replay leg). Pretty good. I have a mate who lives in Oxford so I'm telling him to go if the Toon come rolling into town. :D

There was a worrying one over the weekend that Cashley was going to reinstate his old model of signing only young players with resale value. I think (hope) that is a load of BS though. Rafa would have had all the power re signings written out in the contract he signed as a condition to stay on. Cashley surely isn't dumb enough to make the same mistake again....right?? The irony is a mature age 33(?) year old striker we signed at the start of the season was our hero scoring the winner on the weekend.

Very good results for us on the weekend. Brighton dropped points losing at Preston. Mackems got tonked badly and we plucked a scrappy win on the road to Brentford (though at a high price with Gayle, Hayden and Anita all injured).

Definitely need another creative mid and potentially a striker depending how serious Gayle and Mitro's injuries are. At least we now regain Shelvey I think.

Undoubtedly has talent and was quality under Rafa. Though jumping ship after we went down to join Pardew at Palace definitely soured a few fans. Ritchie has been a great replacement too. I'd definitely have him back and his talent would probably be a level above the Championship - just would need to put in a few MOTM appearances and chip in with some goals/assists to earn full forgiveness lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd take Townsend in a heartbeat. Gouffran has been good but that's probably as much about the level of competition as it is about him. Townsend is proven PL quality. Him and Ritchie both being left footers could both play on the left if need be. Also think Ritchie could play in behind the striker.

I'd take Townsend in a heartbeat. Gouffran has been good but that's probably as much about the level of competition as it is about him. Townsend is proven PL quality. Him and Ritchie both being left footers could both play on the left if need be. Also think Ritchie could play in behind the striker.

Yeah it's a good point re Gouff - Gouff is also out of contract at season's end so Townsend would essentially be banking on a half season stay in the Championship and then becoming a PL player again at the start of next season (touch wood). Wouldn't mind hanging onto Gouff as a squad player given his professional attitude but Ritchie and Townsend would be first choice.

Will be interesting to see what team we go with for the Birmingham FA cup replay tomorrow - quite an extended list of absentees...

Gayle, Anita, Hayden, Mitro, Haidara, Gamez, Aarons all injured. Sterry, Ameobi and Vuckic all cup tied and Mbemba, Atsu and Diame all away at the Africa Cup of Nations. At least we get Shelvey back! Really time for Yedlin to step up now too and try to make the RB spot his.

Did anyone see the Berbatov rumours? With Mitro and Gayle both down, we are a bit light up top (unless we can bring Armstrong back?) I wonder if a short term deal would be a good option for both parties? Pretty sure Berbatov was a Toon fan growing up and slept in a Shearer top haha.

Maybe something like:

--------------------Sels/Elliot-----------------
Yedlin, Hanley, Lascelles/Clark, Dummett/Lazaar
-------------Colback-----Shelvey------------
Gouff---------------Perez----------------Ritchie
---------------------Murphy-------------------

Subs: Sels/Elliot, Lascelles/Clark, Dummett/Lazaar, Tiote, ??? not even sure who else we can call upon to fill out the bench lol. Maybe some U21 kids?

Think they've already said no thanks to Dimitar,they may as well mince Tiote and sell him by the kilo.
Shelvey's back and hopefully it's a less stupid version of himself,Rafa said Hayden could play if needed but they weren't risking him...Mitro's had the stitches out..so we've got about 3 wks to muddle through before we can get our best back on the park.We'll get through and it's still entirely possible Rafa will land someone useful before the transfer deadline.
Watched Atsu in the Ghana/Uganda game and he was pretty average,coupla good things but really wasn't offering much.
Townsend played well for the Toon but I dunno if we'll bite at the $13m asking price.

Good win this morning & we played a few kids from the reserves team I've never heard of lol. Play Oxford in the 4th round, should beat them easily. Good to have Shelvey back, apparently he was dominant.

Good win this morning & we played a few kids from the reserves team I've never heard of lol. Play Oxford in the 4th round, should beat them easily. Good to have Shelvey back, apparently he was dominant.

Indeed! Shelvey showed his worth with 3 assists - the first one for Ritchie's penalty is sublime. Ritchie scored twice and Gouff did well up front nabbing a nice goal too.

3 debuting kids in a rotated squad and getting a win over a fellow Championship side makes it even sweeter . Findlay apparently was the pick of the bunch though apparently we didn't need to defend a whole lot. Barlaser is supposedly the next 'Armstrong' coming through the ranks. Good to know we have a young CM apparently there to bolster our depth given the injuries to Hayden and Anita and if Tiote is sold. El-Mhanni is apparently a very talented player likened to Mahrez at Leicester. Has been a stunt double for Ronaldo and Neymar in football boot commercials too apparently! Just needs to learn the tactical side (when to press, track back etc) of the game according to Beardsley (U23 boss).

Was an interesting line up too. Murphy was protected so Gouff started up front with Barlaser behind him.

----------------Sels------
Yedlin--Hanley--Findlay--Lazaar
---------Shelvey--Tiote------------
Ritchie-----Barlaser-----El-Mhanni
-------------Gouffran----------------

Oh and according to the Chronicle, was our first FA Cup win in 5 years! Hopefully no stumble at Oxford and an easy draw in the next round means a cup run lol.

Think they've already said no thanks to Dimitar,they may as well mince Tiote and sell him by the kilo.
Shelvey's back and hopefully it's a less stupid version of himself,Rafa said Hayden could play if needed but they weren't risking him...Mitro's had the stitches out..so we've got about 3 wks to muddle through before we can get our best back on the park.We'll get through and it's still entirely possible Rafa will land someone useful before the transfer deadline.
Watched Atsu in the Ghana/Uganda game and he was pretty average,coupla good things but really wasn't offering much.
Townsend played well for the Toon but I dunno if we'll bite at the $13m asking price.

Good to hear about Mitro. Gouff nabbing a goal this morning as a striker may mean we're right to get through until Mitro and then Gayle are back.

I have no reason to doubt you scon, you seem like a top bloke...but just saw this on The Mag haha. :D (maybe you just have excessively high standards for wingers?)

"Christian Atsu was player of the tournament at the last finals of the African Cup of Nations in 2015 and he is showing every sign of living up to that billing once again.

The Newcastle winger was named man of the match after Ghana beat Uganda 1-0 in their opening group game on Tuesday.

Supersport described Christian Atsu as ‘unplayable’ and that Uganda would have been three down at half-time if it hadn’t been for their goalkeeper.

Such was his impact, Atsu was also said to have made the watching Ugandan fans ‘dizzy’ as he tied his opponents in knots with his dribbling skills."

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/01/new...ble-made-ugandan-fans-dizzy-newcastle-united/

P.S didn't know he was named player of the tournament at the last ACON! Fair achievement.

The Newcastle winger was named man of the match after Ghana beat Uganda 1-0 in their opening group game on Tuesday.

Yeah I read that too and thought 'Oh it must have been the second half cos I didn't watch it too closely!' then read he was excellent in the first half which I watched all of.
See if you can find a replay but from memory he had a couple of runs where he beat his full-back 2x.Once on the outside and crossed under pressure and the cross was played over for a corner by the covering sweeper.Once on the inside and shot straight to the keeper.One good penetrating pass.
His other half dozen touches Ghana would be lucky if they retained possession.
Didn't go hard enough into contests on occasion,several sloppy passes and lazy efforts..which was typical of the entire team.
Only reason I watched was because of him and it was a fairly low quality game with a lot of miscontrolled ball(including by Atsu)on a typically hard baked African pitch with a lot of bounce.
Have no idea what drugs the reporters were on.Only thing I can think is I was making a cuppa when he performed!!
He is rapid,hard working and nippy.
To be fair it was a high-speed scrappy affair and possible he was the best of a bad lot in a low quality game.
I thought their 3,10 and 9 had stronger games.
Avram Grant at the helm!
Ghana vs Uganda highlights 1-0

PS:I am a hard judge but bits of that article are just BS.

Good to get the cup monkey off the back it looks like for you guys.

Perhaps it could be your year

It's just refreshing not to be fodder for a smaller club like in previous years. :p Seems the 'we don't prioritise the cups' mentality may have been finally erased by Rafa. Heck, even making the League Cup QF against Hull was pretty exciting! Had forgotten the magic of cup fixtures!

Yeah I read that too and thought 'Oh it must have been the second half cos I didn't watch it too closely!' then read he was excellent in the first half which I watched all of.
See if you can find a replay but from memory he had a couple of runs where he beat his full-back 2x.Once on the outside and crossed under pressure and the cross was played over for a corner by the covering sweeper.Once on the inside and shot straight to the keeper.One good penetrating pass.
His other half dozen touches Ghana would be lucky if they retained possession.
Didn't go hard enough into contests on occasion,several sloppy passes and lazy efforts..which was typical of the entire team.
Only reason I watched was because of him and it was a fairly low quality game with a lot of miscontrolled ball(including by Atsu)on a typically hard baked African pitch with a lot of bounce.
Have no idea what drugs the reporters were on.Only thing I can think is I was making a cuppa when he performed!!
He is rapid,hard working and nippy.
To be fair it was a high-speed scrappy affair and possible he was the best of a bad lot in a low quality game.
I thought their 3,10 and 9 had stronger games.
Avram Grant at the helm!
Ghana vs Uganda highlights 1-0

PS:I am a hard judge but bits of that article are just BS.

Will check out those highlights tonight though I suspect you're probably right that it was a scrappy game with few highlights. Maybe a few moments of excitement (with Atsu possibly being front and centre for some of them). Though you have to wonder, if the Uganda keeper kept them in the game with his heroics, surely he would have been within a shout for the MOTM? Not even sure if Uganda have many players of much chop either? IIRC, they have a famous children's choir that might be more world renowned than they are.

Atsu's own comments seemed to paint a pretty humble assessment of the match. Seemed to indicate he is capable of doing more and playing better so maybe he didn't even feel like it was his best game (though I'm sure was still happy to collect the award).

if the Uganda keeper kept them in the game with his heroics, surely he would have been within a shout for the MOTM?
I wasn't paying a shitload of attention but I doubt there were a sixpack of shots on target for the game!
Anyway from our POV I hope he is man of the tournament and gets back to Newcastle fit as a trout and on fire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back