AFLW - Carlton v Collingwood Season Opener Gameday Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

What I loved was the smiles on the faces of the girls as they ran out onto the ground, they were so excited and blown away by the reception, absolutely brilliant. The attack on the ball is brilliant and the game may not be as polished but that's our game and that is why I can watch it at any level, juniors, amateurs, state level and still love it.

And hips, big hips, the greatest weapon on the footy field, I try to get my young players to use their hips when bumping but they don't have any.

The womens AFL would be wise to ride on the AFL's coat tail for a while and then break away to govern their own league so the AFL don't stuff up their game.

The womens AFL would be wise to ride on the AFL's coat tail for a while and then break away to govern their own league so the AFL don't stuff up their game.

I dont think that'll be possible if its tied to existing clubs. Someone will be appointed to watch womens footy ops, but so much is integrated into clubs and existing AFL operations, the Commission will never let it go.

So they played us in round 1 that season??

Nope. My memory is on the blink today but not enough to not recall being at Football Park for our first game on 1991 v Crows and giving them their first loss.

Eagles scored 99 to 20 in round 1 against Melbourne for a percentage close to 500%.

For some reason my mind was playing tricks on me thinking our big win over North in round 1 of 1984 had us over 400%
I was wrong.
Only about 320 something.

I dont think that'll be possible if its tied to existing clubs. Someone will be appointed to watch womens footy ops, but so much is integrated into clubs and existing AFL operations, the Commission will never let it go.

Yeah, I know, especially if they start making money. Just keep the AFL rule makers away from the game and they should be okay

Congrats on the win.
Carlton seemed much more organised, able to get quick handball out while Collingwood seemed to kick and hope
Much more organised in defence. Collingwood didn't get alot of deep entries into F50.

I felt like our girls made much better use of the ball than the Pies did, too, and appeared to be fitter. D'arcy was Collingwood's best by a country mile, whereas we had several strong contributers--Moody, Jakobsson, Vescio, Arnell, Davey...I'm probably missing a few.
Nat Exon was brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats! Your team goes alright. Really well organised and two or three players you can get pretty excited about. Good result for footy last night. Exciting for someone who has two sport loving daughters and a son who were all equally interested. Though objectively speaking a closer game would have been good.

Love this photo. I think it captures the beginning of that excitement and love of the game we all had as kids.

C3urJpnUYAAYCnj.jpg
That's what it's all about!

I don't need to. MEB has already done that for you.
It was a fumbly mess whether you watched it live, on TV, or from the moon.

Why is this observation causing so much heat? Think about it.
Harks, you do realise these girls had one lead up game and are amateur footballers? They all have full time jobs. Not sure what you were expecting to be honest.

Obviously none of us were around back in the 1800's when the VFL started. I cant see the standard being any different than what it was last night.

Woman's AFL is here to stay and watch the standard improve over the next 15-20 years as more and more girls take the game up for an early age.
Pretty sure Thy would have been around.

I thought we had much more organised structures than the Pies last night. Our roving work was top notch.
Yeah! everytime looked like someone would be at the fall of the ball.

It really looked like they knew what each other was going to do, and that they would be there to support each other - plenty of shepherding and backing each other up.

I thought we had much more organised structures than the Pies last night. Our roving work was top notch.
Reckon the coaching made a huge difference. Clearance stats were pretty even I think, but we had a shitload more effective ones and it was a similar story around the ground when the ball was in general play. The quality of some of our players like Vescio, Arnell and Davey shone through when they finished off some half chances perfectly too. Difference between winning easy and a tight game right there!

Harks, you do realise these girls had one lead up game and are amateur footballers? They all have full time jobs. Not sure what you were expecting to be honest.

I didn't expect much and I'm todays demon which is fine.

Good on....and power to the ladies for putting their best foot forward.
Good on the AFL to take the reins and bring the 'project' forward by three years. Very smart as it would have been easy just to let things roll.
Good on the people to turn up and stun the public with their support.

.........but last nights event was an awful spectacle, regardless of the current hype around it.
It will find it's way I know but I have to call a spade a spade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back