Society/Culture The whole YouTuber, Nazi jokes thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this thread was lost in another thread, so here's a thread about it.

WA ROO

One of the PewDiePie videos that caused a backlash:
http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/14/14615142/what-is-fiverr-pewdiepie-anti-semitism

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/21/14683942/pewdiepie-controversy-youtube-drama

Online personalities can’t really know that they’ve lost the goodwill of the audience, or that the material will gain mainstream anger if they’re famous, until it’s too late. They’re already forming tomorrow’s video without even seeing the storm that’s coming.

Even worse is that there is this air of “everyone gets sooo offended” and, while that’s a whole different conversation, some people use the reverse-outrage to mask the fact that they ****ed up a joke and have to pay a price. Or they blame others for pointing it out.

It’s one of the cons of being an entertainer. But it all adds up to a firestorm that’s always a spark away, no matter where you fall on the ultimate outcome. Come to think of it … where was Disney and Maker and YouTube in all this? What the hell are they doing to manage their most popular asset?​

Great post by Kidd Vicious on the tightrope these guys walk:

Pewdiepie wants some people to get offended. That's why he's done the nazi stuff. He's not a nazi, he's a troll. Like Milo.

They need to always be in the goldilocks zone; they need enough people to be offended to keep them relevant, but too many to shift the market away from them.

Both have got the balance wrong.

Who decides? The market has.

Do people know this guy though Chief? I know he's got a bunch of followers but I'd never heard of him until SRP. If people are going to spend time listening to a dude playing video games they have bigger issue than nazism.

Do people know this guy though Chief? I know he's got a bunch of followers but I'd never heard of him until SRP. If people are going to spend time listening to a dude playing video games they have bigger issue than nazism.
I'd seen one of his videos after he was depicted in South Park and he was pretty awful, but he must be pretty well-liked to have however many million subscribers.

My personal opinion is that for good or for bad, we'll probably start to see more jokes depicting Nazi Germany as we move further away from the atrocities of WWII. Time inevitably dulls memories, so every generation that is removed from WWII will be more divorced from what happened to the various minority groups so heavily affected by Hitler's Germany. When I was in high school - circa 2009, people will still calling people Jews or Gypsies as an insult and I've seen the term 'gypped' here on Bigfooty.

The comparison of Pewdiepie and Milo is a step too far imo. Milo is a troll first and foremost whereas Pewdiepie is an entertainer that pumps out a heap of "content" and a portion of that is trolling.

Based on the other responses from many of the youtube community that know him personally and for the majority of his videos has is clearly a) not racist b) a decent guy.

His nazi jokes are lazy more than anything and the responses has unfairly characterised him. I also think people aren't really interested in actually making up their own mind and are jumping on the bandwagon. Labelling him a dude that plays videos games shows that you haven't attempted this as he has for the most part moved away from video game reviewing/playing for a fair while now.

I base my opinion on him from the random videos i have seen of him and his appearances on other shows and channels i watch on youtube. FWIW most of the videos he uploads look like they are dogshit and would bore me to tears but that's beside the point.

A couple of things.

He has absolutely co-opted the language of the neo-nazi alt right on occasions. And there were rumours that he supported some aspects of gamer gate, who are the worst people in the world. He hasn't made a thing of it, but its there. He's a troll and amateurish controversialist moreso than a committed ideologue.

Secondly, many neo-nazi groups have rushed to defend him. Obviously they are very opportunistic here but it shows they are there and active.

And he hasn't been censored. So don't turn him into a another fake millionaire martyr.

He's a troll and amateurish controversialist moreso than a committed ideologue.

He's a dude with a youtube channel that produces random s**t but yeah i more or less agree.

Secondly, many neo-nazi groups have rushed to defend him. Obviously they are very opportunistic here but it shows they are there and active.

Pretty sure he has come out against and any neo-nazi groups that support him.

And he hasn't been censored. So don't turn him into a another fake millionaire martyr.

Haha, KV chill. Im just saying the whole thing is overblown. I'm not some right wing nutbar that thinks racism doesn't exist or that neo-nazi's arent a problem.

There are real enemies out there, i just think Pewdiepie isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he has come out against and any neo-nazi groups that support him.
That he has.

Haha, KD chill. Im just saying the whole thing is overblown. I'm not some right wing nutbar that thinks racism doesn't exist or that neo-nazi's arent a problem.

There are real enemies out there, i just think Pewdiepie isn't one of them.
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't referring to you martyring him.

I think fellow Youtuber h3h3 productions made a good point: he's a Jew who didn't take any offence at what PewDiePie did, so if he's not offended then why are others getting offended for him?

Regardless of whether you think he's funny or not (and I personally don't care for him) it's quite clear his comments were taken way out of context when you watch the actual videos. He isn't an anti-Semite or anything like that. I can understand from a business perspective why Disney dropped him but that Wall Street Journal hit peice was disgraceful. Shows just how the media will take comments out of context for the sake of a headline. There was another article in Wired that was even worse.

It's sad how a controversial comment for the sake of comedy can get you labelled these days. The creators of South Park must be the most racist, anti-Semitic bastards to ever live.

Last edited:
For the benefit of people who don't follow Youtube 'personalities' what constitutes a Nazi joke compared to being a Nazi? And why is the former a massive thing?

I've seen Jimmy Carr say 'they say there's safety in numbers, but tell that to 6,000,000 Jews' and South Park is rife with stuff like 'Oh Kyle your cousin has trouble concentrating... maybe you should send him to concentration camp'. Bad taste but if you don't like it don't watch it.

We're talking about some dude who makes videos on the internet. Who cares? Let him hold up stupid signs or use photos of Hitler. It isn't real.

For the benefit of people who don't follow Youtube 'personalities' what constitutes a Nazi joke compared to being a Nazi? And why is the former a massive thing?

I've seen Jimmy Carr say 'they say there's safety in numbers, but tell that to 6,000,000 Jews' and South Park is rife with stuff like 'Oh Kyle your cousin has trouble concentrating... maybe you should send him to concentration camp'. Bad taste but if you don't like it don't watch it.

We're talking about some dude who makes videos on the internet. Who cares? Let him hold up stupid signs or use photos of Hitler. It isn't real.

Haha. I didn't even know these things existed before this board a few weeks ago.

Gamers ha. Funny crowd.

Probably serves a purpose. Keeps people off the streets, beaches and out of bars and restaurants. Overcrowding can really suck.

The computer and gamer society actually voting could be a problem. Revenge of the nerds is a bit sad. The boogeyman is everywhere and everyone.

Haha. I didn't even know these things existed before this board a few weeks ago.

Gamers ha. Funny crowd.

Probably serves a purpose. Keeps people off the streets, beaches and out of bars and restaurants. Overcrowding can really suck.

The computer and gamer society actually voting could be a problem. Revenge of the nerds is a bit sad. The boogeyman is everywhere and everyone.
OK gramps.

A couple of things.

He has absolutely co-opted the language of the neo-nazi alt right on occasions. And there were rumours that he supported some aspects of gamer gate, who are the worst people in the world. He hasn't made a thing of it, but its there. He's a troll and amateurish controversialist moreso than a committed ideologue.

That might all be true,but this kidd is making cash hand over fist.
He's making money and that's all my 11 yr old respects him for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK gramps.

Yep, maybe certain posters here have lead me to believe that computers and lack of female companionship rots your brain.

I'm not that old but these nerds used to be harmless. Now they apparently attack people and nutter up social meedya.

I just think you get knocked down you get up again. There's too many that stay in their rooms and extreme out. It's balls.

Yep, maybe certain posters here have lead me to believe that computers and lack of female companionship rots your brain.

I'm not that old but these nerds used to be harmless. Now they apparently attack people and nutter up social meedya.

I just think you get knocked down you get up again. There's too many that stay in their rooms and extreme out. It's balls.
Is there anyone you disagree with who does has a girlfriend?

#StandByPewdiepie

The only people who are offended are people who don't watch his videos. He did the wrong thing with that sign on the fiverr video, it was a joke that went too far. But the whole point of it was that he was trying to show how far people will go for money, and the joke was he was blaming the offensive part on Keemstar, with the guys saying "subscribe to Keemstar" at the end. The other jokes were taken out of context. Lots of people make edgy jokes, that doesn't mean they endorse the things they joke about.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back